2o6 Review - Toyota C-HR

Started by 2o6, January 20, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2018, 04:02:44 PM
I forgot these Toyota CR-H/H-CR/RCH/whatever things existed. I saw one yesterday afternoon; like a Nissan Juke but even fuglier. That they don't even come with AWD is pretty much the turd cherry on top of the shit pile. Makes me think of a miniature Acura ZDX, and we all know how well those faired for Honda...

From the Wiki page for the ZDX...

Introduced in April 2009 as a 2010 model, the ZDX was discontinued after the 2013 model year due to poor sales even though it was the only Acura to offer a panoramic moonroof. Looking to the numbers: We find ZDX to be the rarest of U.S. manufactured Acura offerings, with a total of 7191 vehicles produced and sold in North America.

I like how they threw the moonroof bit in as if that should've been the key selling point. :lol:

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 04:21:12 PM
This has real accommodations in the rear.

I find that incredibly hard to believe. In fact, I don't believe it! :lol:

QuoteIDK, I think it's funky and cool  :huh:

I think it's trying too hard to be funky and cool. :huh:

MX793

There's space in the back seat.  Just no windows.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on January 21, 2018, 04:50:54 PM
There's space in the back seat.  Just no windows.

There's space in my closet. Not a place I enjoy spending time though.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 21, 2018, 04:22:32 PM
From the Wiki page for the ZDX...

Introduced in April 2009 as a 2010 model, the ZDX was discontinued after the 2013 model year due to poor sales even though it was the only Acura to offer a panoramic moonroof. Looking to the numbers: We find ZDX to be the rarest of U.S. manufactured Acura offerings, with a total of 7191 vehicles produced and sold in North America.

I like how they threw the moonroof bit in as if that should've been the key selling point. :lol:

What a weird statement. Are cars with moonroofs usually top sellers?

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 08:36:06 AM

Have you actually driven a CR-V et al in the snow?

About 6 or 7 years ago... My rwd car was better
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on January 21, 2018, 07:54:50 AM
Once you're moving and carrying some momentum, you really don't need AWD, so that it doesn't work above 20 mph is moot for what most people buying AWD RAVs need AWD for.  People want it to help them get moving from a stop on moderately slick roads with and inch or two of snow on them.  They aren't looking to crawl through deep mud, sand, or snow.

Sure, if you don't mind driving it like a few car and dealing with massive fwd understeer
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2018, 08:10:11 PM
About 6 or 7 years ago... My rwd car was better

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2018, 08:12:02 PM
Sure, if you don't mind driving it like a few car and dealing with massive fwd understeer

Have you driven any car in the snow?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

He buries it to the floorboards on the daily.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2018, 04:46:25 PM
I find that incredibly hard to believe. In fact, I don't believe it! :lol:

'

One thing, the C-HR is actually not as small as you think. On the showroom next to the RAV4, it's only slightly shorter, and lower, but nearly the same width. It's less of a gulf of size difference between the HR-V and C-RV, or Trax and Equinox.

It's sort of like Juke, but slower and FWD only. But unlike the Juke, this car is far better made, doesn't feel incredibly tight inside (the Juke feels very tight inside and the Juke's trunk is a joke), and has better fuel economy.

The Juke was a special car, though, and the C-HR is nowhere near as charismatic. But, if you're lured in by the styling and are OK with the base price, the C-HR is a fine car.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 09:45:22 PM
One thing, the C-HR is actually not as small as you think.

Duuuuuude, I said I saw one just yesterday: I know exactly how big one is. I can believe it has more room than one would think given the exterior styling, but your idea of spacious and my idea of spacious aren't the same.

QuoteBut, if you're lured in by the styling...

Good God, why would anyone be "lured in by the styling". LOL

2o6

Idk I like the way it looks. It's got stance and presence.

I wish the Powertrain was better, though.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on January 21, 2018, 08:12:02 PM

Again, most drivers are not particularly skilled with car control.  Most drivers cope better with, if not prefer, understeer to oversteer.  Your typical Rav buyer is likely coming from a FWD passenger car, so the driving dynamics will be familiar.  For the type of driver the AWD Rav is marketed to, the AWD system does exactly what is expected of it by the consumer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

Nope... Never... You got me

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on January 22, 2018, 05:02:08 AM
Again, most drivers are not particularly skilled with car control.  Most drivers cope better with, if not prefer, understeer to oversteer.  Your typical Rav buyer is likely coming from a FWD passenger car, so the driving dynamics will be familiar.  For the type of driver the AWD Rav is marketed to, the AWD system does exactly what is expected of it by the consumer.

Rav 4 on the side of a hill.... Massive spinning of the front tires, followed by a jolt of the rears kicking in... Followed by more front wheel spinning after the AWD disengages again

I'm sure it's fine on wet roads like the RAV4 commercial from a few months ago shows

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on January 22, 2018, 05:18:50 AM
Rav 4 on the side of a hill.... Massive spinning of the front tires, followed by a jolt of the rears kicking in... Followed by more front wheel spinning after the AWD disengages again

I'm sure it's fine on wet roads like the RAV4 commercial from a few months ago shows

Which is how any FWD car drives in the snow.  Someone coming from a Corolla or Camry will be accustomed to FWD wander.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2018, 09:45:22 PM
One thing, the C-HR is actually not as small as you think. On the showroom next to the RAV4, it's only slightly shorter, and lower, but nearly the same width. It's less of a gulf of size difference between the HR-V and C-RV, or Trax and Equinox.

Methinks you should look at the spec sheets instead of trusting your eyes.

L/W/WB

HRV - 169.1/69.7/102.8
CRV - 180.6/73/104.7
Difference - 11.5/3.3/1.9

C-HR - 171.7/70.7/103.9
Rav4 - 183.5/72.6/104.7
Difference - 11.8/1.9/.8

The length difference between a Rav and C-HR is significant, and even slightly larger than that between an HRV and CRV.  Width and wheelbase are closer than the two Honda's are, but we're talking barely over an inch.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on January 22, 2018, 05:02:08 AM

Most AWD usefulness is from like 0-20 MPH, like getting unstuck. If you're spinning or cornering, drive wheels don't even matter if you're not applying throttle.

They're fine, and I really question how some of y'all (rotor) drive in snow. I'm from the snow belt and I've never really had too much trouble with the FWD small cars with all-seasons. When I had the CR-V and Escape, they were even more confident in the snow then the FWD small sedans I was used to.

RT4WD doesn't apply much torque to the rear, but having it come in based upon the conditions Honda specifies is fine for 99% of drivers. The more beneficial advantage to the CR-V and kin is the elevated ride height/ground clearance over a sedan.

Also most of these SUV things drive virtually the same in bad weather on the street. You shouldn't be flying around corners anyways.

AutobahnSHO

I saw a red one of these this morning. They really ARE handsome, I would guess they sell well.

Remember that MOST people don't read car mags and have no idea that Buick is the same company as GMC. They buy off of looks and what they think they need in a vehicle.
Will

r0tor

Puzzling why in carspin people feel the need to defend a shit product.  It's bad when even Consumer Reports says the AWD system is shit.

https://youtu.be/k-TQdIqFvZo

Laconian

That video kind of called the notion "AWD=only good for a straight line" into question. It sounds like Subaru's AWD is working to make the car corner better too.

Of course it doesn't help with braking though.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on January 22, 2018, 02:41:23 PM
That video kind of called the notion "AWD=only good for a straight line" into question. It sounds like Subaru's AWD is working to make the car corner better too.

Of course it doesn't help with braking though.

Decent AWD has a huge impact when driving in the snow.

Laconian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y

Not snow but still, an amazing contrast. AWD seems more like a checkbox than an actual useful feature for many of these CUVs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

There's AWD and "AWD."  Should be a distinction on the vehicle sticker. :lol:

r0tor

Most CUV owners would be better served saving their money on the AWD option and just getting snow tires and enjoying slightly better fuel mileage.  These systems are pretty much useless.

A coworkers first gen Ford edge's AWD system would overheat and then fault and default to fwd is any moderate snowy conditions.

giant_mtb

I remember being supremely annoyed when Ford changed the 2WD-4HI-4LO selector dial on Explorers and such to AUTO 4WD-4HI-4LO.  Leaving it in auto just felt abusive with it struggling to decide how long to stay in 4WD.  Good for some emergency thing you're not ready for, but really clunky otherwise to the point where you just succumb and put it into 4HI even if you don't really need to.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 93JC on January 21, 2018, 04:02:44 PM
I forgot these Toyota CR-H/H-CR/RCH/whatever things existed. I saw one yesterday afternoon; like a Nissan Juke but even fuglier. That they don't even come with AWD is pretty much the turd cherry on top of the shit pile. Makes me think of a miniature Acura ZDX, and we all know how well those faired for Honda...
ZDX was just ahead of its time and from the wrong brand. Look at all the "SUV coupes" the Germans have been putting out.

All the CH-R needs to right its wrongs is more horsepower and AWD. Toyota needs to put that 1.8L to bed and let its compact cars enter the 21st century.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2018, 03:02:01 PM

Buyers who are not aware enough to know there are differences in AWD systems wouldn't care anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Xer0

I'm always amazed that with just an LSD, my Si feels better in the snow than pretty much any cute ute I've driven recently.  But I know that AWD has become a MUST HAVE feature for a lot of people for "safety".

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2018, 03:02:01 PM

+4

:ohyeah:
Will