Can you have too many cars?

Started by Onslaught, February 12, 2018, 04:59:23 PM

Onslaught

So right now I've got my 09 RX-8 as my DD and the 90 Miata gets pulled out from time to time when the weather is nice. I've also got a 2000 F-150 that I only use for shit around the house. Buying pine needles for the gardens, wood for projects, buying large shit or pulling my girlfriends Honda out of our driveway when it snows. I still have that one job I've had for over 24 years now buy they moved our shop farther way from my house. So I'm putting way more miles on the RX then I'd like. Between premium gas and expensive as hell tires that last less then 2 years I'm starting to think that a more "practical" car would be better for work. I always said I'd never buy another FWD 4 banger car again but that 2018 turbo Mazda6 is starting to look kind of nice these days. It's also got a big trunk that would fit my golf bag better.

So, money isn't really the issue. I can afford having 4 cars at one time. But is it even practical? Other then the fact that it's like automotive telepathy when you dive it and it clicks every fun box for me I don't know if I should keep the RX-8. I don't really have another covered area to park the thing if I get another new car. I could sell it and use that money to help pay for the practical car. It's a rotary and so we all know it's a time bomb that will go off one day. I've not really had any problems with it up until last week when a strong gas smell under the hood popped up out of the blue.

But at the same time to this day I still regret selling my 93 MX-3 GS. And it's not even half the car that the RX is so I have this fear that if I let her go I'll look back on it as a mistake.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

Keeping your old RX8, even if it drinks gas, might be more economical. Have you run the scenario numbers in Excel?

It's a good thing that you're driving the RX8 so much IMO
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

Of course the answer is "it depends". If you can afford them and enjoy them, have as many as you like.

We spend countless hours here rationalizing these kinds of decisions. It's 99.99% emotion, 0.01% reason. But we love telling ourselves how smart and rational we are.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Me, I get sentimental about certain things. I have my favorite thing, and redundancy makes me feel wasteful/unfaithful.

Onslaught

I've never liked what I would call "large cars." But I'm 44 and have been doing bodywork for 24+ years. I'm getting old and worn out. I drive all over NC and SC playing golf every weekend and sometimes it hits me. I think "a softer car with an automatic and larger trunk would be nice." I never thought there would be a day that would be rolling around my head. I mean I'm over 6'4" and drove an NA miata for 20+ years.

Ideally I'd build a 3 car garage with a lift. But that just seems a little overkill.

The smart and logical thing to do is sell the R3. But I'm having difficulty talking myself into that.

Laconian

How about replacing the F150 with a DD'able truck?

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2018, 05:23:57 PM
How about replacing the F150 with a DD'able truck?
I had thought of that. But I go into town all the time for fun. No way in hell am I driving a full size tank there. And my truck bed is over 6 feet and I often fill it completely up with crap. So a small truck would take multiple trips.

That and I really don't like driving trucks.

ChrisV

I've always said, as a car guy, I could live in a 10 car garage with a lean-to attached. If you're a car guy and can afford to keep them, keep as many as you like. Look at Jay Leno. I could easy see filling up a 10 car garage with favorite cars and not even get to the practical stuff. As a single guy owning a body shop, I had upwards of 10 projects that I owned going on at one time, with a few completed cars in the mix. It's easy to do if you are at all interested in cars.

I'm down to one car for me, one for my wife and a truck to do truck things and I can't stand it. There are so many cars I want to build/buy/drive...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2018, 05:42:43 PM
I had thought of that. But I go into town all the time for fun. No way in hell am I driving a full size tank there. And my truck bed is over 6 feet and I often fill it completely up with crap. So a small truck would take multiple trips.

That and I really don't like driving trucks.

El Camino
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Don't you get called a homophobic slur if you're seen outside a truck in the Carolinas?

12,000 RPM

Trucks are $Texas, trucks down here = Subarus by you

I recommend a 6MT G. Stock suspension is ass but you can drive mine to see how they handle buttoned down. They rev to 7.5K stock and 8K safely with a tune, and are all day comfy even on coilovers.

Another idea if you don't really need a back seat all the time is an S550 Rustang GT. Abundant, quick, comfy, reliable. Huge though, bigger than my G I think which is ridiculous. There's also the GTI. Actually a lot of choice and range with 3 pedals, speed, refinement and some level of fun. Best bet is to just go out and start test driving shit.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2018, 05:47:12 PM
Don't you get called a homophobic slur if you're seen outside a truck in the Carolinas?
Probably all of SC and the parts of NC between Charlotte and Raleigh.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Onslaught

I looked at the Q50 Red Sport. Fan of the motor but not the handling. When it comes to cars with 4 doors I really don't have a passion for any of them made these days. I was looking at the Mazda 6 and Nissan Maxima because I know how to work on them. But I've got zero feelings about them. It would be my first appliance car.

Onslaught

Lebowski

If you like driving the RX8 then keep it and just daily drive it, gas and tires are cheaper than having another car IMO. 

4 cars is a lot. If you want to daily drive something more practical I'd consolidate. Either consolidate the two fun cars or replace the F150 with a newer more comfortable truck or SUV.

That said if you have the space, can afford them all, and get enjoyment or utility out of all of them there isn't necessarily such thing as "too many". I just think you can fill all those roles with fewer than 4 cars.

Laconian

Do fast hatches get you excited at all? They're the kind of appliance that gets me hot and bothered.

Onslaught

Sometimes I think what I should do is unload the RX-8 and Miata, but a normal DD and get a mint, bone stock FD RX-7 with really low miles.

CALL_911

Man, if I had the space and money, I'd go nuts buying all sorts of shit from the 90s/2000s. Let's see:
1. S2000
2. NA2 NSX
3. 993
4. 991.2 GT3 for a DD
5. E46 M3
6. E60 M5
7. 4Runner
8. S52 swapped E30 wagon
10. C7 Z06 or ZR1

I'm sure I could think of more.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

93JC

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2018, 06:05:29 PM
a mint, bone stock FD RX-7 with really low miles

And I bet it'll run on pixie dust and emit unicorn farts from its exhaust.

Onslaught

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2018, 06:00:55 PM
Do fast hatches get you excited at all? They're the kind of appliance that gets me hot and bothered.

What? Not a fan of the new Civic Si looks. Won't own a VW. Ford Focus is cool but I'm not sure it's more practical then a RX-8.

Onslaught

Quote from: 93JC on February 12, 2018, 06:07:34 PM
And I bet it'll run on pixie dust and emit unicorn farts from its exhaust.
I see them all the time. But it will cost you $35K+

Onslaught

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 12, 2018, 06:06:25 PM
Man, if I had the space and money, I'd go nuts buying all sorts of shit from the 90s/2000s. Let's see:
1. S2000
2. NA2 NSX
3. 993
4. 991.2 GT3 for a DD
5. E46 M3
6. E60 M5
7. 4Runner
8. S52 swapped E30 wagon

I'm sure I could think of more.
I have lots of land. But my shop only holds two cars. And my garage holds two also. And my woman uses one of those spots. Not big of parking cars outside.
Well I have lots land.

r0tor

Nobody makes an RX8 replacement... Just keep it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2018, 05:21:42 PM
Ideally I'd build a 3 car garage with a lift. But that just seems a little overkill.

Overkill?  Not if it's ideal. 

Lebowski

A three car garage isn't overkill if you have the space.  I would love a 3 car garage, for the most part lots are small around here and very few houses have them.

If adding garage space is overkill what about a covered parking pad, like etype John built, for supplemental covered parking?

Raza

If you can afford to keep the RX-8 running and have the space to keep it, I'd keep it. I'd pick one up myself if I could find one in the right condition.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

You've been away. The correct answer is sell them all and buy a CR-V.

93JC

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2018, 06:08:59 PM
I see them all the time. But it will cost you $35K+

The only stock FD RX-7s I've seen in the last decade 15 years have been Ẽfinis imported from Japan.

Rich

:lol:

Since you keep the hardtop on the miata all the time... I'd sell the Miata and RX-8, get an FD RX-7 and something with a dual clutch as a DD.  I don't think you could go straight slushie.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT