Can you have too many cars?

Started by Onslaught, February 12, 2018, 04:59:23 PM

Raza

Quote from: Rich on February 12, 2018, 08:27:44 PM
:lol:

Since you keep the hardtop on the miata all the time... I'd sell the Miata and RX-8, get an FD RX-7 and something with a dual clutch as a DD.  I don't think you could go straight slushie.

As someone who regularly drives a car with a dual clutch auto, I promise you that there's no difference.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza  on February 12, 2018, 08:39:55 PM
As someone who regularly drives a car with a dual clutch auto, I promise you that there's no difference.

Yeah, there's a difference.  I drove an A3 with DSG back in 2013 and an 8AT Camaro V6 recently.  The A3 was not only more responsive to inputs, but shifted faster.   The 4doors with DSG are more likely to have paddle shifters, too.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

veeman

I have three cars - one for me, one for my wife and also family trip car, and one for nanny to shuttle kids around in.  The third car also comes in very handy if one of our other cars is in the shop.

I'd love to get a classic 70s car to drive locally around in when the weather is nice.  But paying an extra car's auto insurance and Connecticut town auto tax which isn't cheap (couple hundred dollars) prevents me right now.

Onslaught

Quote from: 93JC on February 12, 2018, 08:18:34 PM
The only stock FD RX-7s I've seen in the last decade 15 years have been Ẽfinis imported from Japan.
I look all the time just for fun and to see what they cost. I see about 5-6 flawless mint ones come up each year. I'm talking even the stereo/CD unit is stock, no changes to the engine and the floor mats look brand new. But they will cost you.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

AutobahnSHO

I saw a stock RX-7 on Craigslist up here a bit ago, went for under $10 and had under 50k miles.

---------------- ------------------ ------------------------

Answer to your question= no of course. Most I've had is 4, a non-traveling big old van I used for sleeping then became storage, minivan, and 2 subarus.

For a while in 2012 I had minivan, subaru, and Miata. The glory of picking which of the latter two to drive to work was glorious. I definitely want choices again someday, but now it's family Odyssey and Impreza.

Many times we get the itch to just get something 'new', or different. And it can nag on us. Don't bite!  Take your time to figure out what you really want to do and go with that.
Will

dazzleman

It's a subjective analysis.  If you can afford the cars, and the pleasure they bring you outstrips the costs and work involved, then it's fine.  I think the definition of "too many" cars will vary person by person, depending on personal tastes, financial situation, aptitude in maintaining the cars, etc.

Though if you're seriously asking yourself if you have too many cars, then you probably do.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on February 13, 2018, 04:55:48 AM
It's a subjective analysis.  If you can afford the cars, and the pleasure they bring you outstrips the costs and work involved, then it's fine.  I think the definition of "too many" cars will vary person by person, depending on personal tastes, financial situation, aptitude in maintaining the cars, etc.

Though if you're seriously asking yourself if you have too many cars, then you probably do.

By normal logic 4 cars is too many. But I'm not normal. I'm not married, don't/won't have kids and I'm turning my only guest room in the house into a video game room. I don't do normal. 

12,000 RPM

Does it absolutely have to be new?

I really liked the new Maxima and almost bought one... but no aftermarket + CVT scares kept me away. If you are buying new as an appliance that probably won't be an issue. They are really good.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Buy a leftover Avalon for a huge discount and call it a day.

I think 4 cars just for myself is too much, but in your situation, the Miata and RX8 aren't going to get you much back. Better off just keeping them.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

Yes new. I like warranties. Because I work on cars all day long the last thing I want to do is work on my own stuff. I'm to the point I hate holding tools in my hand.

So it will be new.

Think I can rearrange my shop to fit the RX-8 and MX-5 in it. Park the F-150 under the shed next to it. Then put the 4 door and Chandra's car in the house garage.

If I don't use the old stuff enough I can just sell one or two later on.

12,000 RPM

Just get an extended warranty. Besides, if you pick a decent car nothing will go wrong. An Avalon is bulletproof.

Onslaught

Guys I know I said I don't have much love for 4 doors and I'm getting older but I'm not Toyota Avalon old.

Lebowski

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2018, 06:06:54 AM
Guys I know I said I don't have much love for 4 doors and I'm getting older but I'm not Toyota Avalon old.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

shp4man

I was going to suggest selling one or two of your vehicles and get a vintage vehicle of some kind, but if you don't want to tinker with vehicles, that may not be the best option.
The great thing about classics is the depreciation factor is reversed. If you select a nice one, they're great drivers, then there are car shows and the whole deal.
But hell, a body man? Nice! I'm thinking about doing the body work on my old truck, which involves welding in a rocker panel and some other rust repair. Skills baby.  ;)

Onslaught

My idea of a classic car is an RX-7. The oldest I'd think about would be a Datsun 240-Z. I'm a Jap car guy.

shp4man

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2018, 07:49:55 AM
My idea of a classic car is an RX-7. The oldest I'd think about would be a Datsun 240-Z. I'm a Jap car guy.

Old Z's have quite a following- also some rust issues- you'd fit right in.  :lol:

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Back to the initial dilemma.

I´d hold on to the RX-8 definitely. You say you can afford a 4th car as a DD. Do that. Make it very different. Abarth I say.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Hold on guys, this wasn't a "what kind of car should I get" thing. No way in hell I'm buying a Fiat. Have any of you ever worked on one before?

Nissan/ Infiniti
Mazda
Toyota/ Lexus
Subaru
Possibly Honda/ Acura even if they're difficult to work on.

Those are the brands I'll buy. I'll never buy a car from Europe because I don't like working on them. Driving, sure but not working. I refuse to work on VW's and Audi's at work I hate them so much.

I don't hate Ford or Chevy like I did in past but I don't really care for them.

Chrysler/Jeep/ Dodge can go fuck themselves

Lebowski

12,000 RPM

Why are you factoring in how hard the car is to work on if you're getting it new with a warranty? I also think the Abarth is a bad idea for other reasons.

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 13, 2018, 08:47:49 AM
Why are you factoring in how hard the car is to work on if you're getting it new with a warranty? I also think the Abarth is a bad idea for other reasons.
I keep cars for 10 years or more most of the time. In that time something will happen to it.

Also modern cars are very different from just a few years ago. Each manufacture has different ways to weld, glue and do bodywork to them. Sometimes you need equipment just for one brand. European cars are bad about this.

My shop was purchased 5 years ago. It was turned into a fleet shop that only works on small hits for Enterprise rental car. So they took almost all our stuff out of the shop that I could work on anything other then a few cars.

I could buy a brand new car and get hit that day. I'd fix it but I'm limited in what I've got to use. Also it's nice to know what holds something together. And for 16 years all I worked on were cars from Japan.

shp4man

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2018, 08:57:35 AM
I keep cars for 10 years or more most of the time. In that time something will happen to it.

Also modern cars are very different from just a few years ago. Each manufacture has different ways to weld, glue and do bodywork to them. Sometimes you need equipment just for one brand. European cars are bad about this.

My shop was purchased 5 years ago. It was turned into a fleet shop that only works on small hits for Enterprise rental car. So they took almost all our stuff out of the shop that I could work on anything other then a few cars.

I could buy a brand new car and get hit that day. I'd fix it but I'm limited in what I've got to use. Also it's nice to know what holds something together. And for 16 years all I worked on were cars from Japan.
I am not quite understanding your fixation with repairability. Most cars don't get into accidents. How many times have you crashed the cars in your fleet? Not to mention, if you're buying new, I would assume you are getting full coverage. So if anything happens you won't have to fix it anyway. Plus in a few years any kind of crash is going to write the car off because of airbags. So you might as well totally discount the "crash repairability" of the car. I think your line of work makes you think it's a lot more important than it really is. I'd be more worried about safety personally.

Also not sure why you are basing this purchase around how easy it will be to work on this car, when you just said you hate working on cars :lol: I repeat, do not factor repairability in your decision... full coverage on my car is like $100 a month, you are 10 years older than me; even with a more expensive car I doubt it will be much more expensive. Let insurance handle that and just go with the car that will be nicer to be in the 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the time it's not in a collision shop

Onslaught

I've never hit anything. I have been hit multiple times. I could be hit by a deer. I could get into a hailstorm. It could be like my RX-8 that after years of driving it's got rock chips on it so if I keep it I'm repainting the whole car so it looks good again. And small hits must be repaired just like large ones. I won't drive around in a car with a dent in it. That shit stands out to me because I'm trained to see even the littlest thing.
I do hate working on cars that I'm not getting paid for. So fixing a broken engine part isn't something I'm into.

If something requiring body work happens to one of my cars I get paid very well. Just ask the unfortunate people who have hit me before.

And are you saying I should let Someone other then myself do bodywork on my own car? I've known lots of body people. Only 2 of them I'd let touch my cars. The rest I would t let change a blown tail lamp.

But there's also the fact that other the Porsche, I can't think of another non-Japanese brand I'd give my money to.

12,000 RPM

Well, if that's how you want to play it, then good luck. I don't think anyone here can really offer you any suggestions.

Onslaught

I wasn't asking what car to get. It will be a Japanese 4 door sedan. I was looking for opinions on if I should keep lots of cars. Perhaps someone here had the same "problem" at one time and could tell me what they did and how it worked out.

Lebowski

Keeping 4 cars 3 of which are older does not make much sense for someone who both doesn't like working on their cars and doesn't want other people working on their cars.  One or the other sure, both no.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2018, 10:53:23 AM
I wasn't asking what car to get. It will be a Japanese 4 door sedan. I was looking for opinions on if I should keep lots of cars. Perhaps someone here had the same "problem" at one time and could tell me what they did and how it worked out.
Depends. How much body work are you willing to do :lol:

At one point I had the Civic, G and MKX at my house (2 car garage and 1.5 width driveway). It was a complete PITA. My FIL has the Civic now and we haven't even set up a payment plan yet... but I wanted to get it to him because I was tired of having to deal with shuffling the cars around. Wasn't even that much money in it anyway. I would think about whether or not the money you can get for the Miata is worth not having to move it around and just keep the other 3.