Motor Trend wagon comparo

Started by veeman, March 05, 2018, 08:16:12 AM

veeman

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/buick/regal/2018/2018-buick-regal-tourx-vs-2018-subaru-outback-3-6r-vs-2018-volkswagen-golf-alltrack/

Surprised at the poor showing of the VW with regards to ride quality. Also surprised at just how robust the all weather capability of the Outback is compared with the other two.  Surprised at the cheap interior of the Buick.  What strikes me most though is how expensive in higher trims these cars are.  Close to or over $40,000.

I really wonder if they threw in a Honda CRV in the mix for $10,000 cheaper how would it fare? 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on March 05, 2018, 08:16:12 AM
Also surprised at just how robust the all weather capability of the Outback is compared with the other two. 

4 realz?  :confused:   Subarus have always had great snow/rain performance.
Will

SJ_GTI

Yeah out of that bunch the Subaru is the only one with "real" AWD, so I would expect it to handle inclement conditions a bit better (all else, particularly tires,  being equal).

93JC

Similarly it's not surprising that the Buick—with the least amount of gussying up to look like an SUV—was far and away the quickest and best handling on-road.

The "SUV-wagon thingy" is such a weird niche.

r0tor

The VW AWD is probably decent... fairly robust haldex and I believe now a traction management systrm
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Nah I personally KO'd a Tiguan in a side by side snowy traction test. It sucked.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Well far from ideal... but still better then the crap in the CRV, rav4, and other cute utes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on March 05, 2018, 05:52:10 PM
Well far from ideal... but still better then the crap in the CRV, rav4, and other cute utes

Pretty sure its basically the same system, possibly just a newer version. From what i understand the basic limitations are the same but the system is leaning more and more toward predictive behavior rather than reactive (ie: it doesn't wait until you lose grip, it tries to figure out when to put power to the back based on how you are driving).

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on March 05, 2018, 05:52:10 PM

Well far from ideal... but still better then the crap in the CRV, rav4, and other cute

The CRVenvy is strong.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2018, 04:43:53 PM
Nah I personally KO'd a Tiguan in a side by side snowy traction test. It sucked.

:lol:  :rockon:
Will

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on March 06, 2018, 06:54:53 AM

The CRVenvy is strong.

More like hatred when a POS CRV is stuck in 4" of snow and delays your trip home by a 1/2 hour

(From the winter thread last week)