More red light accidents?

Started by AutobahnSHO, March 15, 2018, 01:20:51 PM

AutobahnSHO

Audi rolling out "red light countdowns for more cities. Light turns green, you go quicker, theoretically speeding up traffic. Instead, people will zone out with their phones and/or go quicker and get hit by a red-light-runner?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/audi-apos-traffic-light-countdown-120000641.html
Will

CaminoRacer

Brazil, and apparently Bangkok, have timers next to the lights. In Brazil it would count down for both red & green lights. I thought it was super nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWsZ46XvWM
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

I love crosswalk signs with countdowns...I don't know why more people don't pay attention to them while waiting at a red light.

TBR

In the UK, you get a yellow before then green, and, not shockingly, lights get jumped all the time. Seems highly stupid.

Morris Minor

Traffic lights are nasty, pollution-causing, dangerous relics that need to be ripped out wherever possible.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Cant put roundabouts everywhere

I do think traffic lights could definitely use an update. They could be a lot smarter
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 27, 2018, 10:52:49 AM

I do think traffic lights could definitely use an update. They could be a lot smarter

It totally bugs me when I see lines cut in the pavement for sensors but the lights are stooopid. 
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2018, 01:59:38 PM
It totally bugs me when I see lines cut in the pavement for sensors but the lights are stooopid. 

What about them is stupid?  You get on the sensor, it trips a timer, you get a green.  They're great for low-traffic roads that meet up with high-traffic roads.  The high-traffic road will keep its green unless a car trips the sensor from the low-traffic road.  :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 27, 2018, 02:23:56 PM
What about them is stupid?  You get on the sensor, it trips a timer, you get a green.  They're great for low-traffic roads that meet up with high-traffic roads.  The high-traffic road will keep its green unless a car trips the sensor from the low-traffic road.  :huh:

When there are sensors there and no other cars in any other lane any direction and I wait a full minute for the light to change. Should trip pretty quickly if there's NO other traffic.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2018, 02:27:36 PM
When there are sensors there and no other cars in any other lane any direction and I wait a full minute for the light to change. Should trip pretty quickly if there's NO other traffic.

Many lights have longer minimum green light durations during rush hour.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 27, 2018, 02:29:48 PM
Many lights have longer minimum green light durations during rush hour.

LOL I know.

I'm talking a few intersections that, no matter the time of day, make you wait, even if you're the only one there. But they did put sensors in!  Not sure why, they're not reacting to cars.
Will

giant_mtb

You ever worked for your state DOT?  It's not as simple as you'd like it to be with basic traffic light timers. If you want smarter lights, talk to your local government.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2018, 06:33:05 PM
LOL I know.

I'm talking a few intersections that, no matter the time of day, make you wait, even if you're the only one there. But they did put sensors in!  Not sure why, they're not reacting to cars.

They're not?  That's ignorant.  They absolutely are. Those timers are tuned for optimal traffic flow at the worst congestion times.  DOT employees literally sit at traffic areas all day taking notes and producing models for the best timing...which means nothing when there's no traffic.

Am I saying lights shouldn't be more responsive in the off-hours?  No.  But am I saying lights are performing their function when they really need to?  Absolutely.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 27, 2018, 11:25:03 PM
You ever worked for your state DOT?  It's not as simple as you'd like it to be with basic traffic light timers. If you want smarter lights, talk to your local government.

I'm sure most DOT people are great. These are Federal people, on federal property, who obviously don't know how to use any of the smart on the lights.

Oh btw there are a few intersections that although no one is sitting in the left turn lanes, the cycle goes "left turn lanes - green straights - left turn lanes the other directions - green straights other directions - left turn lanes" etc...

Literally the lights go through the same cycle no matter time of day or actual traffic. And they just redid a couple intersections in the last 2 years I've been here.

Just gets really annoying. 
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 27, 2018, 11:29:36 PM
They're not?  That's ignorant.  They absolutely are. Those timers are tuned for optimal traffic flow at the worst congestion times.  DOT employees literally sit at traffic areas all day taking notes and producing models for the best timing...which means nothing when there's no traffic.

Am I saying lights shouldn't be more responsive in the off-hours?  No.  But am I saying lights are performing their function when they really need to?  Absolutely.

Clearly there are times when they get it wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 27, 2018, 10:52:49 AM

Agreed, that's why I said, "where possible."

The city I lived in invested millions in smart lights, adding lanes, adding & lengthening turn lanes and putting in roundabouts (beyond the capabilities of, and so annoying, the  soccer moms).  It helped but ultimately when you pile enough traffic in to a given area, it will tip over to gridlock. The next step would be autonomous cars negotiating with each other & the infrastructure.

PS the thread title should be "More Red Light Crashes" (not "accidents.")
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși