2018 VW Touareg

Started by Galaxy, March 23, 2018, 03:12:11 PM

Galaxy

Now that the Phaeton is gone, this is the Alpha Dog at VW. China is the main market for this, accounting for 50% of all Touareg sales. North America will not get this, receiving instead the larger, but cheaper Atlas.

Overall I really like it, not 100% sure on the razor grill. Probably the best implementation of integrating a large touch screen. The screen is not only tilted toward the driver it is also slightly curved. The ledge below where the wood, or metal trim is, is for resting one's hands when using the touch screen.

It is a sibling of the Q7, Cayenne, and Bentayga, it gets all the gizmos like the adaptive suspension, and four wheel steering, and all the driver aid kits.

2 V6 diesels with 231, and 286hp,

1 V8 diesel with 421hp

1V6 gasser with 340hp.

China gets an I4 plug in hybrid with 367hp. Europe will either get the same one later on, or combined with the V6 engine. That has not been decided.

12,000 RPM

Looks good, but I just don't see what this delivers over a SWB 2 row Atlas with the same interior + tech. VWAG is so wasteful with capital. I guess in China where ostentatiousness is frowned upon it makes sense, but I would rather save $15-25K and have an equally equipped Atlas.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 23, 2018, 03:38:12 PM
Looks good, but I just don't see what this delivers over a SWB 2 row Atlas with the same interior + tech. VWAG is so wasteful with capital. I guess in China where ostentatiousness is frowned upon it makes sense, but I would rather save $15-25K and have an equally equipped Atlas.

The Atlas is hard plastic though, and does not have the suspension and other gizmos.

Laconian

I guess in China where ostentatiousness is frowned upon it makes sense

Can't tell if sarcastic...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

We aren't missing anything with this.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 23, 2018, 03:47:26 PM
Can't tell if sarcastic...
With cars, yes, at least from what I've heard.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 23, 2018, 03:49:54 PM

Go to Vancouver B.C. and witness the mainland Chinese restraint for yourself. Plutocrats and plutocrats' kids in garish hypercars.

Raza

That looks great. We're not getting it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Looks better than the Cayenne, and this is nothing like the Atlas.  This is like a Genesis branded car vs a Santa Fe
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

veeman

It's a good move not to bring it to the U.S.  While it's a good/great looking SUV with better mechanicals than the Atlas, it's too expensive for an SUV with a VW badge here.  Not many would buy it over a Cayenne, X5, Merc GL, Yukon Denali.  Not many would buy this over an equivalent costing Audi Q7. 

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 23, 2018, 03:49:54 PM

You've heard wrong. Showing off wealth is much more prevalent in China than almost anywhere. In Hong Kong I saw stores literally called "Big Spender Jewelry Store" with no qualms. Cars are the same.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: veeman on March 24, 2018, 07:24:23 AM
It's a good move not to bring it to the U.S.  While it's a good/great looking SUV with better mechanicals than the Atlas, it's too expensive for an SUV with a VW badge here.  Not many would buy it over a Cayenne, X5, Merc GL, Yukon Denali.  Not many would buy this over an equivalent costing Audi Q7. 

I agree. Down here the first gen Touareg sold a bit but the current one has been dismal.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 24, 2018, 08:47:29 AM
You've heard wrong. Showing off wealth is much more prevalent in China than almost anywhere. In Hong Kong I saw stores literally called "Big Spender Jewelry Store" with no qualms. Cars are the same.
Hong Kong <> China

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on March 23, 2018, 03:52:27 PM
Go to Vancouver B.C. and witness the mainland Chinese restraint for yourself. Plutocrats and plutocrats' kids in garish hypercars.
Canada <> China

93JC

Laconian

r0tor

Looks good, but I just don't see what this delivers over a SWB 2 row Atlas with the same interior + tech. VWAG is so wasteful with capital.

Engine, suspension, AWD system, and refinement come to mind
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on March 23, 2018, 03:52:27 PM

eh it's definitely a thing, but it's not as prevalent as people make it out to be
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 28, 2018, 07:58:54 AM
eh it's definitely a thing, but it's not as prevalent as people make it out to be

I don't know man, it's fairly prevalent in Long Island. Shit, you see it all the time with the Asian Syracuse University students up here. Off hand, I can think of Chinese international SU students with a BMW i8, an AMG GT, a GTR. A lot of these kids live in my girlfriend's building. Last year there was a kid with an S63 coupe.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 28, 2018, 09:35:35 AM
I don't know man, it's fairly prevalent in Long Island. Shit, you see it all the time with the Asian Syracuse University students up here. Off hand, I can think of Chinese international SU students with a BMW i8, an AMG GT, a GTR. A lot of these kids live in my girlfriend's building. Last year there was a kid with an S63 coupe.

I see McLarens, Aston Martins, and 911's daily driven by Chinese international students.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on March 28, 2018, 05:25:23 AM
Engine, suspension, AWD system, and refinement come to mind
The only thing the first SD of crossover customers care about is refinement, which the MQB platform has baked in pretty nicely. Give a 2 row Atlas the same sound insulation and suspension tech and it's gonna be a wash

Again not everyone gets their jollies off driving their SUVs on the beach just to say "i drove my SUV on the beach"

2o6

Now you're just saying shit.

This is like the difference between a Traverse and SWB Escalade.

Gotta-Qik-C7

The Infotainment screen is bigger than the Flat Screen in my man Cave......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

That's a really nice interior.

Still, I am driving my stone-age 2007 car and I am not missing anything. I like my stone-age analog speedometer and no-touch-screen interior very much, thank you!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 29, 2018, 06:18:40 AM
That's a really nice interior.

Still, I am driving my stone-age 2007 car and I am not missing anything. I like my stone-age analog speedometer and no-touch-screen interior very much, thank you!

Yea ... I agree
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

There is good interior design and bad interior design. All touch everything is bad. But I would welcome some updates, like a higher res screen and Android Auto

giant_mtb

I like my simple controls. I don't understand why everybody feels a need for giant screens and to be infotained. 

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 29, 2018, 11:50:43 AM
I like my simple controls. I don't understand why everybody feels a need for giant screens and to be infotained. 

It's a dimension for status/desirability in cars nowadays, just like vehicle length in the 50's and 60's.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 29, 2018, 11:50:43 AM

Some people watch an applewatch, some people don't care, and some people want their watch hands to be real.... I'm in the last camp and it applies to the gauges in my car