Nissan Altima

Started by 2o6, March 28, 2018, 09:51:26 AM

2o6

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115985_2019-nissan-altima-bows-with-vc-turbo-engine-all-wheel-drive#image=100647632

AWD optional, and the new 2.0 variable-compression engine replaces the VQ35 as the upper level motor. The same old-as-shit QR25 is the basic engine. Still a CVT auto.

68_427

Looks primed for hertz/enterprise
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Man, interiors are all converging to look really similar.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2018, 10:17:09 AM

Thought the same thing.  Nissan seems to be cornering that subprime/rental car market that Dodge/chrysler/Mitsu left behind.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on March 28, 2018, 10:20:58 AM
Man, interiors are all converging to look really similar.
Was thinking the same thing

Not necessarily a bad thing. Much prefer those to this functionally

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Xer0 on March 28, 2018, 01:03:38 PM
Thought the same thing.  Nissan seems to be cornering that subprime/rental car market that Dodge/chrysler/Mitsu left behind.
Yup.......  :zzz:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Dangerous game to play. Hasn't panned out for FCA

Submariner

Why no AWD for the turbo?  Can the diff not handle the load?

Anyways, okay but meh.  The Altima is going to age horribly just like the Maxima and most Lexus's these days.  I saw a super well maintained 02' or so Maxima the other day that still looks good.  The alien spacecraft Maxima that followed already looks awful.  The new sedans, with their whoops-I-coughed-while-drawing-it C-pillar wont.  Their seeming desire to become rental queens isn't helping, either.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Char

Yawn.

And that interior looks terrible. Something about it reminds me of the Dodge Dart, and it screams "Rental"
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on March 29, 2018, 11:29:19 AM
Why no AWD for the turbo?  Can the diff not handle the load?

Anyways, okay but meh.  The Altima is going to age horribly just like the Maxima and most Lexus's these days.  I saw a super well maintained 02' or so Maxima the other day that still looks good.  The alien spacecraft Maxima that followed already looks awful.  The new sedans, with their whoops-I-coughed-while-drawing-it C-pillar wont.  Their seeming desire to become rental queens isn't helping, either.

The majority of Nissan sedans I've seen have barcodes on the windshield. Not a good sign
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Yup - cars like this come to mind reading the Mainstream Sedans Dying thread
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 29, 2018, 11:04:48 AM
Dangerous game to play. Hasn't panned out for FCA

It's one of those things that it seems like automakers just don't care for.  Some times too much volume is not a good thing.

Onslaught

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
Thank Gods. If I had to work on one more Chry 200 I'd kill myself. Bring this thing on all day.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Laconian

Quote from: Onslaught on March 29, 2018, 04:02:34 PM
Thank Gods. If I had to work on one more Chry 200 I'd kill myself. Bring this thing on all day.

Sporty =
:cry:

veeman

The new Altima has an AWD option. That option at least differentiates it somewhat from Camcords.

I like the current Maxima styling. I don't see many of them on the road, but it looks good. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on March 29, 2018, 04:01:24 PM
It's one of those things that it seems like automakers just don't care for.  Some times too much volume is not a good thing.
It depends... look at how the Germans subsidize leases for example. I suppose that can work for luxury brands with more margin but that shit is razor thin here.

Plus again the subprime tide is rolling back which makes this strategy less viable. Just like gas won't stay low forever neither will interest rates... hinging your success on that is bad news. Fortunately for Nissan they have a whole lineup of high quality and gorgeous mainstreamers in Renault. Truthfully if they kept the designs, but cheapened the materials and gave us some America appropriate engines I think they could do well and still make money. But as is blah.

Truthfully though Nissan hasn't made quality mainstreamers in like 20 years. From the B14 on the Sentra has been a consistent turd. When the '02 Altima came out we were all wowed by the VQ35 but we didn't look too hard at or talk about the hollow sounding + cheap cabin. And its been in decline since ~06. Versa was and remains a cruel punchline. Nissan doesn't want to do better.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 06, 2018, 08:33:09 AM
It depends... look at how the Germans subsidize leases for example. I suppose that can work for luxury brands with more margin but that shit is razor thin here.

Plus again the subprime tide is rolling back which makes this strategy less viable. Just like gas won't stay low forever neither will interest rates... hinging your success on that is bad news. Fortunately for Nissan they have a whole lineup of high quality and gorgeous mainstreamers in Renault. Truthfully if they kept the designs, but cheapened the materials and gave us some America appropriate engines I think they could do well and still make money. But as is blah.

Truthfully though Nissan hasn't made quality mainstreamers in like 20 years. From the B14 on the Sentra has been a consistent turd. When the '02 Altima came out we were all wowed by the VQ35 but we didn't look too hard at or talk about the hollow sounding + cheap cabin. And its been in decline since ~06. Versa was and remains a cruel punchline. Nissan doesn't want to do better.

I don't think ze German's and leases is a good example.  The Germans primarily deal in a higher bracket were status and having the new hotness is more important.  Leasing and being seen in a newer vehicle every couple of years appeals to these shoppers more which makes leasing a more attractive option.

I was actually thinking about this recently though; how much margin do auto manufacturers build into their car's price?  Presumably that's what is paying for this volume.  The Accord sport has an MSRP of 26K but my dad recently bought one for 22K.  Toyota was offering a similar rate on a Camry SE.  GM dealers in the area are advertising 20% off on most models pretty aggressively.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on April 06, 2018, 09:55:41 AM
I don't think ze German's and leases is a good example.  The Germans primarily deal in a higher bracket were status and having the new hotness is more important.  Leasing and being seen in a newer vehicle every couple of years appeals to these shoppers more which makes leasing a more attractive option.

Right I agree, and the margins allow for that... but my point was their subsidies (which work by comically inflated residuals- think of them using retail instead of trade in values) are definitely a move to trade margin for volume/market share. The mechanisms vary by segment- mainstreamers will just put cash on the hood for example- but the end goal and result are the same.

Quote from: Xer0 on April 06, 2018, 09:55:41 AMI was actually thinking about this recently though; how much margin do auto manufacturers build into their car's price?  Presumably that's what is paying for this volume.  The Accord sport has an MSRP of 26K but my dad recently bought one for 22K.  Toyota was offering a similar rate on a Camry SE.  GM dealers in the area are advertising 20% off on most models pretty aggressively.
I doubt the added volume is covering the cost.... something like a Ford Fusion is going for like 30% off. Plus you have to factor in product mix- coming back to Ford, someone recently said the F150 is worth more than the whole Ford brand. So good models can subsidize the bad, again just to retain that market share. It's probably long overdue for manufacturers to really see what the value of market share is... if the market norm is to sell at a loss it's probably not a market to be in. I know GM has been bailing out of big markets like Europe for example as there's just no money there. Car industry is in a really weird place.

giant_mtb

There's no money for GM in Europe because nobody buys GMs in Europe. It's not rocket appliances.

Markets shift, the players have pulled out and pushed in to different markets numerous times. We recently acquired Fiat vehicles, China loves Buicks.  Plenty of manuf's have pulled out of the US because we just don't buy enough of their cars. :huh:

Why so doom and gloom?

MX793

Hyundai/Kia have a strong presence there.  Last 4 rentals I've had were Hyundai/Kias.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: Onslaught on March 29, 2018, 04:02:34 PM

Changed the alternator in son's 200. Never came so close to sledgehammering a car to death.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 06, 2018, 11:44:59 AM
There's no money for GM in Europe because nobody buys GMs in Europe. It's not rocket appliances.

Markets shift, the players have pulled out and pushed in to different markets numerous times. We recently acquired Fiat vehicles, China loves Buicks.  Plenty of manuf's have pulled out of the US because we just don't buy enough of their cars. :huh:

Why so doom and gloom?

Everyone bought GM cars in Europe. Sales numbers and profitability are two different things. Up until like a year ago, Opel and Vauxhall were GM subsidiaries.

Ford sells 2M vehicles in the EU, and profits in that market are shit. People are scared that Ford May also pull out.

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on April 06, 2018, 01:21:20 PM

Everyone bought GM cars in Europe. Sales numbers and profitability are two different things. Up until like a year ago, Opel and Vauxhall were GM subsidiaries.

Ford sells 2M vehicles in the EU, and profits in that market are shit. People are scared that Ford May also pull out.
Just amazing - never thought GM would walk away from Europe - Vauxhall was bought by GM in 1925 - history & heritage all gone.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Pull out of Europe, or just the UK? I imagine that RHD cars aren't super popular, but the EU is a really big market..

AltinD

^^ GM sold Opel/Vauxall to PSA (Peugeot/Citroen). Funny thing, they pulled the Chevrolet brand from Europe some years ago because it was competing with Opels.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 06, 2018, 02:24:32 PM
Just amazing - never thought GM would walk away from Europe - Vauxhall was bought by GM in 1925 - history & heritage all gone.

They owned Opel from 1929-2017. Ironically in the 1930s Opel was Germany's biggest exporter, they were selling cars in places like Costa Rica, New Zealand, and China. Adolf Hitler personally handed General Motors Vice President James D. Mooney the Order of the German Eagle 1st class. I am assuming he did not wear his medal in the years to come.

ifcar

Quote from: AltinD on April 07, 2018, 12:51:13 PM
^^ GM sold Opel/Vauxall to PSA (Peugeot/Citroen). Funny thing, they pulled the Chevrolet brand from Europe some years ago because it was competing with Opels.

Strategy consistency ftw.