Rolls Royce Cullinan

Started by Galaxy, May 10, 2018, 09:23:53 AM

Galaxy

I have never liked the RR design language (exterior, interiors are stunning) of the BMW ara, so I thought I would hate how gaudy their SUV  would look, but I have to say it looks... almost stunning. The chunky RR design language seems to work well on an SUV. This looks much, much better then a Bentayga, or an Urus. I almost think the Cullinan looks understated with the exception of the grill, and Emily.

CALL_911

Yeah, I agree. The design language works very well on an SUV.

Cullinan reminds me of that water filtration company, Culligan

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

I think it looks absolutely awful.

One thing these large Euro SUV's have in common; they all look too narrow for what they are. I think this car would look better if it was about 15% wider, and had more wheelbase.

AutobahnSHO

Looks "okay" on the outside, nothing special.

I hope the interior would be amazing.
(are those speakers in the doors to the right of the door handles?) 
Will

Galaxy

Just found this gem in the RR press release.

"But for those wishing to carry a newly discovered artefact from the latest archaeological dig – a loading length of 2245mm and load capacity of 1930 litres is accessed by electronically raising the boot floor to meet the seat base, allowing the item to slide through effortlessly.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on May 10, 2018, 09:26:52 AM
I think it looks absolutely awful.

+1

Looks like a Chinese knockoff.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911

Okay I got a better look at it. I changed my mind, some pictures make it look like it was designed by Fisher Price for Power Wheels

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

Needs a bush bar, winch, snorkel kit, 50 billion lumens light bar, roof rack, mossy oak vinyl wrap, a Fuck Your Urus bumper sticker, and Yosemite Sam mudflaps.

Xer0

And here I thought the Bentley SUV thing was hideous.  Yikes.  This stodgy, old-money English styling just doesn't look good on SUVs.

12,000 RPM

In the context of "dynamic" looking SUVs like the Velar, X6, F-Pace etc this restrained old money look just looks bad. This looks like a 20 year old Hyundai.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

It certainly is....a SUV with a Rolls grill. No one can deny that.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Payman

It'll outsell RR's cars by 5:1, and none will see gravel. I'd like to see a limo version tho'.

Edit: should have said sand, because 75+% of sales will be in the ME.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

How does this look so much better at like 1/5th the price

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2018, 12:54:02 PM
How does this look so much better at like 1/5th the price

In the flesh they look much closer to their Expedition roots.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

It looks okay, but this slightly grainy image seriously makes it look like it could be from the 80s (save for the modern headlights and wheels).  This design language just feels so ancient.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on May 10, 2018, 01:12:15 PM
In the flesh they look much closer to their Expedition roots.

That's an Aviator.

mzziaz

I like it. The first non hideous Rolls in a long time, imo
Cuore Sportivo

68_427

130" wheelbase and 210" overall length. To put the size I to perspective it's the same wheelbase as a Suburban but 14" shorter.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on May 10, 2018, 09:26:52 AM
One thing these large Euro SUV's have in common; they all look too narrow for what they are. I think this car would look better if it was about 15% wider, and had more wheelbase.

It is wider then an Escalade.

Payman

Payman

2o6

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on May 10, 2018, 08:27:00 PM

Yet it looks narrow.

Imo that is a plus, and I think what the designers wanted to achieve, though I suspect that it will have more presence on the road simply do to its sheer size. Imo they succeeded in making a stately, elegant car, basically the polar opposite of Nissan Juke (or so many other cars)  with their bubbly form.  Even the signature RR grill is, dare I say, understated compared to the caricature that the Audi grill has become. Compare it to the Lamborghini Urus, a car similar in price, if not in market. Overall the Urus is actually a beautiful design. Typical VW AG relative simple lines. Where the Urus falls apart imo is with the front grill. 

What the fuck are all those squiggly lines? Lamborghinis have always been aggressive yes, but relatively simple. It probably takes more ink to draw the front grill of the Urus, then to draw an entire Countach, Diablo, or Murcielago.

Morris Minor

It will sell like hot cakes. The streets of Kensington, Knightsbridge and the UAE will be groaning with them.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

I think the Urus is more reflective of the market than this rolling anachronism

Raza

It looks like a half decent Range Rover wannabe if you don't see the front. Overall, this is another cynical move that will work. So get used to seeing them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.