2019 Silverado gets 2.7T.... 4 cylinder

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 18, 2018, 07:38:02 AM

12,000 RPM

The Japanese (and others) have been doing turbos just fine in the diesel realm.......

Plus when turbos fail they generally fail over time and don't take the engine out with them. They are basically a maintenance item at this point.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on May 21, 2018, 09:58:01 AM
]But exceed the gentle, twinkle-toe throttle pressure we applied in our steady-speed tests and all efficiency bets are off. As boost rises, more fuel is injected and mileage drops. Precipitousl.

That's exactly what the C&D article documents as being complete nonsense.  They tabulated their own testing results of hundreds of cars and combined the results with a third party testing organization and concluded turbos fair actually better then NA engines in real world mpg compared to EPA estimates.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

I'm with Cougs on this. Turbos take some of the energy that would otherwise be flushed down the exhaust, and use it to get a bigger and better burn inside the combustion chamber. So you can subtract a chunk of the hardware & mass that would otherwise have been needed to support the same yield from a naturally aspirated engine. But the advantages are marginalized by real-world implementations; yes you get a smaller engine under the hood, but it's still clothed in a big body, weighed down with fancy wheels, and dozens of servos for the goodies in the passenger compartment.

The tradeoff is big: you give up the creamy-smooth NA six for dieselesque noise from direct injection... plus a four-banger's inherent harshness. Nightmares for the engineers removing NVH. In the CR-V they counteract it with noise-cancellation fed through the audio system. I suppose they could also have got around it by supplying Bose aviation headsets.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on May 21, 2018, 10:18:07 AM
That's exactly what the C&D article documents as being complete nonsense.  They tabulated their own testing results of hundreds of cars and combined the results with a third party testing organization and concluded turbos fair actually better then NA engines in real world mpg compared to EPA estimates.

That's a direct quote from the same C&D article; last paragraph, last two sentences; which is found here:  https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-tale-of-two-honda-civics-turbo-vs-non-turbo-fuel-economy

2o6

The Civic turbo is also faster than the 2.0.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 21, 2018, 01:30:14 PM
That's a direct quote from the same C&D article; last paragraph, last two sentences; which is found here:  https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-tale-of-two-honda-civics-turbo-vs-non-turbo-fuel-economy

Of course, the turbo is also more powerful and therefore significantly quicker when under hard throttle than the 2.0L NA.  Worse fuel economy is to be expected WOT vs WOT.  What's noteworthy is how much more Jekyll and Hyde the turbo is.  More frugal when driven with restraint, but more powerful when commanded to be so.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I feel like manufacturers have got the turbo thing wrong. I get the feeling big understressed motors with a focus on staying out of vacuum rather than in boost. But that's a pretty complicated system to that end.

The real biggie to overall efficiency is energy recovery, be it from the exhaust or the brakes. F1 has it right

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Yea I do too

Not sure what Cougs is on about, on average turbo cars do better than N/A ones. Not enough to warrant the cost/complexity IMO though... KIA gets just above the city rating on a 50/50 commute with a mostly relaxed right foot

MexicoCityM3

Turbos are pretty much a no brainer here at altitude for almost any application other than purist-herd-on throttle response sports cars.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 21, 2018, 08:29:58 PM
Turbos are pretty much a no brainer here at altitude for almost any application other than purist-herd-on throttle response sports cars.

Yeah, at altitude, it's a no brainer.  Down here at 800 ft above sea level, I'll take N/A though if given the choice.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 21, 2018, 08:29:58 PM

A GT-R or 911 Turbo would be my car of choice if I lived in Denver.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV