Tell me about.....pickups!

Started by MexicoCityM3, May 21, 2018, 08:58:38 PM

MexicoCityM3

Ok, so the wife made the suggestion that maybe we should trade the MINI for a pickup. The MINI is today being used as a backup car for her and as an errand car for a guy we hired that helps around the house with washing cars, cleaning, gardening, etc. I drive it very rarely. But I still think it's cool and has very low miles. Less than 20K miles and in great shape. It is very easy to sell if we decide to do it.

I also like the idea a bit, not really sure yet.

I am all over the place looking at everything. We have a bit different pickup market here than in the US because we get more compact options and less variations of full size trucks.

These are a few I've been researching:

- Tacoma

This idea was triggered upon seeing one at the mall. I like it a lot but is on the expensive side for compact trucks.

https://www.toyota.mx/modelo/tacoma

- Hilux

This is the smaller Toyota. Less expensive and available with a nice diesel. This is the indestructible truck from "Top Gear" fame.

https://www.toyota.mx/modelo/hilux

- Colorado

I like the powerful V6 and the looks very much.

http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/colorado-2018-pick-up-mediana.html

- Mitsubishi L200

Seems to be very popular and wins euro comparos that I've looked at.

https://www.mitsubishimotors.com.mx/modelos/l200-2018

- Nissan Frontier

I don't know much about it really.

https://www.nissan.com.mx/np300-frontier/

- Ford Ranger

Very recently updated also available with a nice diesel.

https://www.ford.mx/camiones/ranger/

We'd be looking at a crew cab with a few luxury so that ir can be a backup car for the family if needed.

Thoughts? Keep in mind that like most of my what-if threads probably nothing will happen.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

93JC

No point in buying one with "a few luxuries so it can be a backup car". You already have a fuckton of cars: if you want a pickup, get a bare-bones one meant for getting stuff done. And if you can't sacrifice "the luxuries": don't buy a pickup truck.

AutobahnSHO

Will

GoCougs

Quote from: 93JC on May 21, 2018, 09:03:35 PM
No point in buying one with "a few luxuries so it can be a backup car". You already have a fuckton of cars: if you want a pickup, get a bare-bones one meant for getting stuff done. And if you can't sacrifice "the luxuries": don't buy a pickup truck.

ALPHA.

CALL_911

Honestly I'd probably get rid of the MINI and not replace it- this sounds like an idea you think is cool now, but isn't that great in actuality.

If you actually did want a pickup, I'd go for a Hilux.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

veeman

This errand guy...

I have a car (Camry) that my wife and I usually don't drive.  It's the "nanny" car she uses to shuttle the kids back and forth to school as well as all of their daytime activities.  Occasionally we'll drive it when one of the other cars is getting an oil change or something. 

So is this errand guy a long term thing where he'll be around for multiple hours a week for the foreseeable next few years?  The Mini Countryman probably my guess has all the room he needs for doing his errands with the backseats folded down.  If he needs to carry something long occasionally he can always leave the back hatch open.  I wouldn't buy a pickup unless you're investing in a farm or landscaping business or something like that where you really need it. 

68_427

Ranger with the 2.3T or see if the GM twins get the new 2.7T.

Unless you actually want a diesel.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Narco truck!!!!!

Send me that money :lol: I don't think you need this vehicle. You made it this long without one, don't really have a clear reason why you need one, and probably won't enjoy owning one.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Probably Hilux if you get one.

But you will still have too many damn cars, a one for one swap makes no sense IMO.

giant_mtb

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 22, 2018, 05:25:49 AM
Narco truck!!!!!

and probably won't enjoy owning one.

BS.  In three days of owning one he'll be driving around wearing a sombrero, boots, and a big belt buckle with his arm out the window getting sun burnt as all hell.

There's an irrational joy of driving around in a pickup truck.  Why do you think they sell so well?  It's not because we all need them.
'racecar is die'
no

shp4man

Buy a full size pickup of some kind. Your choice.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 21, 2018, 09:21:04 PM
Hilux for sure. Or Tacoma.

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 22, 2018, 06:32:22 AM
Get a Hilux. Do some wheelin.

Quote from: Lebowski on May 22, 2018, 06:22:37 AM

But you will still have too many damn cars, a one for one swap makes no sense IMO.

Hilux seems to be winning. I need to go look at it in person. And cars are my "toy" space, so advice from that point of view. I want something different to what we have today.

Quote from: veeman on May 22, 2018, 01:04:24 AM
This errand guy...

Errand guy will be with us for the foreseeable future.

Quote from: 68_427 on May 22, 2018, 07:39:36 AM
BS.  In three days of owning one he'll be driving around wearing a sombrero, boots, and a big belt buckle with his arm out the window getting sun burnt as all hell.

There's an irrational joy of driving around in a pickup truck.  Why do you think they sell so well?  It's not because we all need them.

This. I already got the boots hahaha. I love them and I had never owned any before. Sombrero is next. Leaving the city these things come naturally lol. In this place there is tons of space everywhere. A pickup is suddenly practical and fun in a different way.

Quote from: shp4man on May 22, 2018, 07:41:49 AM
Buy a full size pickup of some kind. Your choice.

If I went full size then we'd be talking something entirely different. Way too much for "errands". It'd be more of a potential X5 replacement. Something like a Sierra Denali, Lobo or even a Raptor.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

You got me looking at Hiluxes on the Toyota mexico site. I would totally buy one-time not too expensive and they're just cool

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

I honestly don't understand all the Hilux love.  It's not like Hector is going to be stuck in the African wilderness or anything.  I feel like it's the most utilitarian (which isn't what makes the best family pickup) and honestly probably won't be good for a rear facing child seat in the back of it's actually smaller than the Tacoma
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Also try to get a truck with as flat of a floor as possible.  Being able to fold the rear seats up and load items in the cab is hugely convenient, unless you have some lame built in tray or large drivetrain hump.
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Alright, buying a new truck for your servant is getting a bit extravagant :lol:  I agree with most, you already have too many.

Sell some BMWs and the Mini, get a Raptor for yourself.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

68_427

Quote from: MrH on May 22, 2018, 08:49:53 AM
Alright, buying a new truck for your servant is getting a bit extravagant :lol:  I agree with most, you already have too many.

Sell some BMWs and the Mini, get a Raptor for yourself.

Then what will his wife drive?  Like he said doesn't really make sense to have the X5 and a full-size.  Although the F150 Limited is niiiiiccce with the blue leather and massaging seats etc
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: 68_427 on May 22, 2018, 08:09:13 AM

I honestly don't understand all the Hilux love.  It's not like Hector is going to be stuck in the African wilderness or anything.  I feel like it's the most utilitarian (which isn't what makes the best family pickup) and honestly probably won't be good for a rear facing child seat in the back of it's actually smaller than the Tacoma

Well it's smaller and cheaper than the Tacoma, and he already has about 15 luxury cars.

That said, I am guessing a part of the Hilux love ITT is just that it's not available in the US, so there's always a bit of wanting what you (spinners in the US) can't have.

CALL_911

Quote from: 68_427 on May 22, 2018, 08:09:13 AM

It's because they're cheap, utilitarian, and indestructible. They're very honest. I like them for the same reasons I dig old Ford Rangers.

What Lebowski says is true too

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

"ZOMG too many carz!"  What has CarSpin become???

Homeowners should appreciate the desire for a small truck. Hauling junk, picking up appliances and building materials, landscaping, etc etc. Plus, for towing a camper/boat/ATVs etc, it's the best option because you can haul lots of associated gear (generator, coolers, tools, etc).

My vote goes to a lightly used Hilux that you don't mind getting scratched and dirty.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Lebowski on May 22, 2018, 06:22:37 AM

:hesaid:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

I think there's a little bit of romanticizing going on here about owning and driving a pickup truck that runs on sand from the Atacama desert to some watering hole and daydreaming about (because it'll never ever break) fixing it with your bootlace.  Maybe that's the feeling Hector wants, and if so the Hilux might be the right truck, but in reality it'll probably be driven 98% of the time in urban/suburban environments and get serviced at the dealership etc.  I can just imagine how Monica would feel if she hits a pothole with the rear wheel of a cheap utilitarian truck and the rear end bounces to the side 8 inches.
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 68_427 on May 22, 2018, 09:44:18 AM
I think there's a little bit of romanticizing going on here about owning and driving a pickup truck that runs on sand from the Atacama desert to some watering hole and daydreaming about (because it'll never ever break) fixing it with your bootlace.  Maybe that's the feeling Hector wants, and if so the Hilux might be the right truck, but in reality it'll probably be driven 98% of the time in urban/suburban environments and get serviced at the dealership etc.  I can just imagine how Monica would feel if she hits a pothole with the rear wheel of a cheap utilitarian truck and the rear end bounces to the side 8 inches.

There's a bump in the middle of the on-ramp near my work. It's entertaining to take it at full speed and have the front bounce 8 inches to right and then the rear does the same a second later.

68_427

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 22, 2018, 09:45:24 AM
There's a bump in the middle of the on-ramp near my work. It's entertaining to take it at full speed and have the front bounce 8 inches to right and then the rear does the same a second later.

Good thing you enjoy it since there's probably no way around it 😂
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Perhaps Tacoma would be the more civilized choice, then.  The new Colo/Canyons also look nice and, at least from the outside, look a little larger than the Taco. May just be an illusion.

CaminoRacer

A Colorado is probably a better choice than the Hilux, but I still choose Hilux.

Or just get one of each and build another carport.

68_427

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 22, 2018, 09:56:16 AM
Perhaps Tacoma would be the more civilized choice, then.  The new Colo/Canyons also look nice and, at least from the outside, look a little larger than the Taco. May just be an illusion.

I think the GM twins look larger and are actually just bulkier.  The Taco has a relatively high floor and has a more carlike seating position because of it.
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 22, 2018, 10:08:14 AM
A Colorado is probably a better choice than the Hilux, but I still choose Hilux.

Or just get one of each and build another carport.

The Colorado is priced to compete with the Tacoma. The Hilux is less expensive.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)