Tell me about.....pickups!

Started by MexicoCityM3, May 21, 2018, 08:58:38 PM

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Raptor is fantastic but total overkill since we do not off road. Plus I can probably get a lightly used M4 or a New M2  Comp for the same money. If full size, I'd prefer a more luxurious ride.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Raptor of the only truck made in the last 10 years worth buying
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Even if you're not off roading, Raptors ride great from what I've heard. Those Fox shocks...

veeman

The Raptor is not the right car for the situation Hector has explained IMHO.

a.  It is going to be used primarily or at least a lot by Errand guy.  You don't want Errand guy taking off-road excursions when he's supposed to be doing his job.  Also it's too ostentatious and expensive a truck for an errand guy to use.  And it's a gas hog.

b.  It's also to be used a lot by Hector's wife.  A Raptor is freaking wide and it's high off the ground. It's not the right vehicle for going to crowded shopping plazas and coffee shops with small kids. Does Hector's wife want to off-road race? I don't see her hanging out with that crowd.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

c. I don't think it will fit in Hector's carport.  Maybe it will.  Where is the Mini Cooper Countryman currently parked?

2o6

Do you guys know how much the raptor is? It's like 5x the price of the Dacia/Renault.

MexicoCityM3

Veeman is right about the Raptor. It would have to be an X5 replacement and that decision is still 15 months away (end of lease).

That Silverado is very competitively priced. Errands are not "full size" errands however. Still, seems very very attractive for the price.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

We just spent Sunday morning looking at pìckups.

This is where we went:

- Renault to look at the new Oroch

This is the first place we went. We took one out for a test drive. It was launched just a week ago locally.

Pros:

- Least expensive to buy (MXN 314,000)
- Very comfortable ride
- Nice looks
- Reasonable interior space
- Car-like driving

Cons:

- Less utility, load capacity of all the options
- No cowboy fantasy fulfillment at all
- Renault reputation for reliability is less than stellar
- A bit wimpy

Overall, We think it is a great choice....for a one or two car family. It does a lot of things, none of them exceptionally well. Wife loved it...before she saw the other options.

- Toyota to look at the Hilux

Second place we went. We looked at the very base crew cab truck, with the 4 cylinder gas engine. It looks much more serious than the Renault. Much more work-like. Wife liked it and (god bless her) said she even liked it more because of manuel.

Pros:

- Cheapest to own. It is a bit more expensive than the Renault to buy at MXN 345,400 but OMFG I've been looking at used ones and resale is super high, much better than any other of the trucks.
- Indestructible reputation, Toyota reliability
- Cheap to operate with the 4 cyl.

Cons:

- Wimpy ranchero fantasies, no cowboy fantasies
- Probably choppy ride (no test drive was available)

- Chevrolet to look at the Silverado 2500 V8

Both these and the F-150 have really cavernous interiors with a good finish (considering the price). We looked at base V8 versions of both.

Pros:

- Cavernous interior, easily seats 6.
- V8 "real truck"
- Cowboy fantasies fulfilled
- 4x4

Cons:

- Quite a bit more expensive at MXN 570,000 (but almost MXN 100,000 less than equivalent F-150)
- Much more expensive to operate for errands

- Ford to look at the F-150 V8

Very similar to the Silverado but with a better interior (not by much but noticeable).

Pros:

- Same as Silverado
- Better interior

Cons:

- Most expensive by far at MXN 670,000 (4x4)
- Same as Silverado

Conclusions

We think that we need to keep the "errand guy, ocassional use by Monika or me" use case separate from the "cowboy fantasy, cool truck" use case. So, the Hilux is looking like a winner. And cowboy fantasy on hold for now, but not forever. In that case in the future a Lobo Lariat like this one would rock:

They also had a white Raptor on the floor. Frankly, I don't have much fantasies of jumping dunes/tough off roading. In the luxo-truck space I'd much rather have a high-end Ford Lobo or a GMC Sierra than a Raptor for less money.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

veeman

Thanks for this thread!

The Hilux with some butcher wheels/tires can perhaps satisfy some inner cowboy needs.

https://goo.gl/images/i9zQ42

Lebowski

Yeah, Hilux in a higher trim.

Payman

The Hilux converts to $17,700 US, and the Mitsu $16,113.  I'll never spend $40,000+ for a fucking Tacoma or other "small" truck that the manufacturers are pushing up here.  :banghead:

Laconian

Canada doesn't have a chicken tax; what's its excuse?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 28, 2018, 10:57:51 AM

?? chicken taxes don't affect trucks that are made here.

Toyota prices those things like that because they can.

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on May 28, 2018, 10:57:51 AM

Probably some sub-section of the '60s era NA auto pact.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2018, 11:00:16 AM
?? chicken taxes don’t affect trucks that are made here.

Toyota prices those things like that because they can.

No, he's talking about the Hilux, Mitsu, etc import trucks. We don't have a chicken tax, but we have a pact with the US auto industry that probably eliminates the possibility of getting cheap small trucks here.

2o6

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 28, 2018, 12:41:15 PM
Crash standards?

Maybe, but unlikely: Many of these small trucks are sold in Europe. Crash standards there aren't relaxed. True for some of the other cars we get in Mexic however, especially shitty subcompacts.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Payman

I hope Mahindra expands their Detroit factory and starts producing small trucks for the NA market. They have an excellent reputation and impressive longevity from what I've read.

veeman

I thought Mahindra were known for simple diesel engines. Not going to be approved in the U.S.

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on May 29, 2018, 07:29:58 AM
I hope Mahindra expands their Detroit factory and starts producing small trucks for the NA market. They have an excellent reputation and impressive longevity from what I've read.

And a tendency for sudden vertical acceleration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBlFCH0d3o4
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT