Cadillac staying in NYC

Started by veeman, June 09, 2018, 12:14:48 PM

veeman

https://jalopnik.com/cadillac-staying-in-nyc-after-securing-1-million-in-fr-1826677778

I don't understand this.  Governor is a gear head so he offers a bunch of money for Cadillac to stay and renovate their offices.  I thought all gubt can do is give tax incentives?  They can just give a company money? Apparently so.

I also thought GM was set on bringing them back to Detroit.  1 million is enough to sway a behemoth like GM?  A super bowl ad costs more than that.

Laconian

Cadillac was swayed by a paltry $1m?! They're that swayed by the corporate equivalent of pocket change? Garbage business unit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Cadillac in NYC is dumb. Now communication from the mothership (GM) sounds awful and like it would take too long.

Not to mention, Detroit has had a real resurgence lately in the past decade or so. Every time I visit, it gets appreciably nicer.

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on June 09, 2018, 12:14:48 PM
I thought all gubt can do is give tax incentives?  They can just give a company money? Apparently so.

Remember that one time......?

December 19, 2008: President Bush approved a bailout plan and gave General Motors and Chrysler $13.4 billion in financing from TARP (Troubled Assets Relief Program) funds, as well as $4 billion to be "withdrawn later".

Submariner

Quote from: veeman on June 09, 2018, 12:14:48 PM
https://jalopnik.com/cadillac-staying-in-nyc-after-securing-1-million-in-fr-1826677778

I don't understand this.  Governor is a gear head so he offers a bunch of money for Cadillac to stay and renovate their offices.  I thought all gubt can do is give tax incentives?  They can just give a company money? Apparently so.

I also thought GM was set on bringing them back to Detroit.  1 million is enough to sway a behemoth like GM?  A super bowl ad costs more than that.

I've been to their corporate offices...I don't know why the need a renovation.  They're quite new and nice.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 09, 2018, 01:31:02 PM
Remember that one time......?

December 19, 2008: President Bush approved a bailout plan and gave General Motors and Chrysler $13.4 billion in financing from TARP (Troubled Assets Relief Program) funds, as well as $4 billion to be "withdrawn later".

That was a legislative thing though.  This thing seems like the governor just allocated some funds.  It's obviously legal because Cuomo is no idiot and will likely run for Potus I think one day.  Assuming he can beat that Sex and the City Woman for governor again.

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on June 09, 2018, 03:39:22 PM
That was a legislative thing though.  This thing seems like the governor just allocated some funds.  It's obviously legal because Cuomo is no idiot and will likely run for Potus I think one day.  Assuming he can beat that Sex and the City Woman for governor again.

Sounds like it was a grant. Likely pushed through with a bit of force. Grants typically take at least a year to happen...and wtf does Cadillac - a multi-million dollar subsidiary of GM - need a fuckin grant for?  :nutty:

12,000 RPM

Cadillac has bigger problems than its HQ location

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Fucking Cuomo are you good damn serious
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

This is funny...

Not all the investments panned out. A troubled 1969 Chevrolet El Camino became Mr. Cuomo's white whale — bewitching and enraging him.

After weeks of repairs, Mr. Cuomo was driving the car down a highway a few years ago, with Chris trailing him, as the engine began to sputter loudly. Chris, pulling up beside him, begged his brother to slow down, but Mr. Cuomo refused. "It's either going to live or die," Mr. Cuomo shouted over the din. With that, he stomped on the gas, and the engine exploded, sending metal parts flying into the air.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 10, 2018, 07:32:36 AM
This is funny...

Not all the investments panned out. A troubled 1969 Chevrolet El Camino became Mr. Cuomo's white whale — bewitching and enraging him.

After weeks of repairs, Mr. Cuomo was driving the car down a highway a few years ago, with Chris trailing him, as the engine began to sputter loudly. Chris, pulling up beside him, begged his brother to slow down, but Mr. Cuomo refused. "It's either going to live or die," Mr. Cuomo shouted over the din. With that, he stomped on the gas, and the engine exploded, sending metal parts flying into the air.

And probably damaging the road which has yet to be fixed.
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Quote from: 68_427 on June 10, 2018, 05:00:41 PM
And probably damaging the road which has yet to be fixed.
It's still funny.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 10, 2018, 04:30:05 AM

What is this supposed to mean?

68_427

Quote from: 93JC on June 10, 2018, 10:53:19 PM
What is this supposed to mean?

That nobody will buy the Cadillac because it looks like the Mitsubishi
'racecar is die'
no

TBR

Quote from: 68_427 on June 11, 2018, 04:52:08 AM
That nobody will buy the Cadillac because it looks like the Mitsubishi

But it doesn't?

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 10, 2018, 04:30:05 AM

I see very little resemblance, to be honest.  Am I supposed to?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.