BMW 8 Series

Started by Galaxy, June 15, 2018, 12:23:10 PM

Galaxy

I think this is one of the best designs BMW has done lately. The back is a bit fussy, especially that area between the exhaust and the rear lights. Nice to see the were able to keep the headlights small. Making LED standard helps I guess. A laser light is available as an option which has a range of 0.37 miles. It has the M5's AWD as standard which can direct 100% of power to the rear wheels.

^ Apparently it can fit a bicycle without removing any wheels.

MrH

Looks really good.  I like a lot of BMW's recent designs.  New 5-series looks great too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

FoMoJo

Looks nice from the side.  Don't like exaggerated exhaust outlets.  The back just looks plain ugly.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

The way the top of the dash pulls from the driver's side looks so fucking bad in the photo, but you probably won't notice from the seat.  The rear sucks, and the front and rear have too much visual mass compared to the center from the side IMO.  Looks like it bumped into a car infront of and behind while parking and swelled up.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

The Lexus looks better and will sound way better than this
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

12,000 RPM

Classic proportions and good detailing... just like the S550 Mustang

LC would be my choice as well, they look wild in the flesh.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Damn near perfect to my eyes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

The blunt nose is no doubt the result of Euro pedestrian safety standards.  I don't think it looks bad considering the constraints they have to work with.  Profile is great.  The back is just too busy.  Given how tall the back is, though, getting the right balance between too busy and big-slab-o-metal (see 2nd gen Infiniti G coupe or '10-'13 Mustang) can be a challenge.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Best looking BMW in years.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I wonder how far forward the front seat is with that pic of the dude sitting in the backseat?

If the front seat is in "normal" position for an average sized male adult, that backseat is plenty roomy for kids. 

Galaxy

Quote from: veeman on June 17, 2018, 09:33:54 PM
I wonder how far forward the front seat is with that pic of the dude sitting in the backseat?

If the front seat is in "normal" position for an average sized male adult, that backseat is plenty roomy for kids. 

It is about 911 sized.

FoMoJo

Saw one of these on the road the other day, BMW i8.  Did not have a clue what it was until I got up close and saw the logo and model designation...

Does the one shown in the OP replace it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

68_427

Quote from: veeman on June 17, 2018, 09:33:54 PM

Yeah the seat is almost all the way forward.  Not as roomy as something like a 4 series
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 18, 2018, 06:53:46 AM
Saw one of these on the road the other day, BMW i8.  Did not have a clue what it was until I got up close and saw the logo and model designation...

Does the one shown in the OP replace it?

Nope the car you saw is a hybrid sports car.  They just happen to share the same number
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Very different cars. You should read about the i8, it's a very interesting exercise in working within ambitious and unusual engineering constraints.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 18, 2018, 11:42:26 AM
Very different cars. You should read about the i8, it's a very interesting exercise in working within ambitious and unusual engineering constraints.

I must admit, it did catch my eye.  Never figured it for a BMW until I got a look at the logo.  However, I've never been greatly impressed by BMW as they seem very common around here. 

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

I'd pocket $20k and get a LC500
'racecar is die'
no