Chevrolet Blazer

Started by 2o6, June 21, 2018, 06:30:45 PM

2o6

Hm, this nameplate is resurrected on a Midsized, Edge/Murano fighter.

Power comes from the lame duck 2.5L, or the ubiquitous 3.6L.

I think it looks nice inside and out; more striking than the pedestrian Equinox. TBH, kinda surprised they didn't try and throw in a +2 3rd row, but they have the Traverse.

https://www.motor1.com/news/249896/2019-chevrolet-blazer-revealed/

68_427

Automatic heated steering wheel and auto heated/cooled seats, comfort windows (like vw) and some trailer assistance stuff are kind of surprise features.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

You sure this isn't the new Camaro Gran Touring Coupe?

Why do I have a suspicion that the new Bronco is going to eat this thing's breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on June 21, 2018, 07:27:57 PM
You sure this isn't the new Camaro Gran Touring Coupe?

Why do I have a suspicion that the new Bronco is going to eat this thing's breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

This is an Edge competitor, though. I don't think GM was trying to aim for a RWD off-road thing with a 2.5L and FWD chassis.

I think as far as sales and profitability, I think Chevy will have a hit on their hands. The Equinox has historically been a strong seller, and the Traverse is a very large car. I think this Crossover could really find a lot of buyers who want more space than the Equinox, but don't want a Minivan like the Traverse.

I know Honda is gonna introduce a basically SWB restyled 2-row Pilot, and VW is coming out with a SWB 2-Row Atlas. This Blazer is aimed square at them.

Also, do you really think the Bronco will sell *That* well? I feel like BOF off-road big thingies, really only work at Jeep. I'm pretty sure Toyota moves more Highlanders than 4Runners.

12,000 RPM

Bronco is going to be a fail.... enthusiast approval of it all but guarantees that.

I like this a lot. Hope they make a GMC version and/or a hybrid version. Just don't know if I can say "my wife drives a Chevy"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Love the front end styling of this, and the interior. falls apart at the rear imo.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Galaxy

The Traverse rear end would have looked good on this.

veeman

Quote from: Galaxy on June 21, 2018, 08:52:23 PM
Love the front end styling of this, and the interior. falls apart at the rear imo.

Agree.  Overall I like it especially the sportier styled one in red with the black grill, chevy emblem, and wheels. 6 USB ports.  That's nice.  Chevy interiors are looking very nice recently. 

Xer0

This thing looks really good.  I still don't really get what slot its supposed to fit in the Chevy lineup though.  Its almost like this is the X4 to the Equinox X3 which I guess is okay?

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on June 22, 2018, 09:57:45 AM
This thing looks really good.  I still don't really get what slot its supposed to fit in the Chevy lineup though.  Its almost like this is the X4 to the Equinox X3 which I guess is okay?

Trax = Rogue Sport/Qashqai

Equinox = Rogue

Blazer = Murano

12,000 RPM

The more I see it the less I like the exterior. Weird proportions; too nose heavy. Still a good effort. I think I would get the Acadia though.

Galaxy

Apparently had Opel remained with GM this would have been their most premium offering. The Monza concept from a few years a go was apparently an attempt to slowly introduce the design language.

2o6

Internet people are weird. The backlash against this model is super strange to me. It's an attractively style SUV thing that will sell in droves.

Something like the ASEAN Trailblazer would be comparatively unrefined and unfriendly to use for the US market. Rough ride, less accommodating driver's position, et al.

Y'all clamored for the boring-ass Pontiac G8/Chevy SS, and no one bought it.

FoMoJo

So, Escape size, Edge size?

The 9 speed is a good feature.  Wonder which manufacturer.  Would be good if it came with a 2.0 (eco) turbo as it is an excellent combo with a transmission of that many ratios.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 22, 2018, 02:41:37 PM
So, Escape size, Edge size?

The 9 speed is a good feature.  Wonder which manufacturer.  Would be good if it came with a 2.0 (eco) turbo as it is an excellent combo with a transmission of that many ratios.

Edge sized.

The 9AT is a GM unit.  Part of the 9AT-FWD and 10AT-RWD collaboration they did with Ford.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on June 22, 2018, 02:16:36 PM
Internet people are weird. The backlash against this model is super strange to me. It's an attractively style SUV thing that will sell in droves.

Something like the ASEAN Trailblazer would be comparatively unrefined and unfriendly to use for the US market. Rough ride, less accommodating driver's position, et al.

Part of it is because, like the Bronco, the Blazer has a storied history as a rough and tumble truck with serious off-road cred.  This crossover is not a spiritual successor to the Blazer.  Same as the Eclipse Crossover or the latest FWD car-based Cherokee.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 22, 2018, 03:28:52 PM
Part of it is because, like the Bronco, the Blazer has a storied history as a rough and tumble truck with serious off-road cred.  This crossover is not a spiritual successor to the Blazer.  Same as the Eclipse Crossover or the latest FWD car-based Cherokee.
The ancient K10, sure. The S10 was just an exercise in how much cost and refinement GM could carve out of a small pickup. They got pretty far.

Unfortunately, a functional large car company is not an exciting one. A K10 reborn would fail from the word go.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2018, 06:15:53 PM
The ancient K10, sure. The S10 was just an exercise in how much cost and refinement GM could carve out of a small pickup. They got pretty far.

Unfortunately, a functional large car company is not an exciting one. A K10 reborn would fail from the word go.

Not necessarily. Look at Mahindra. There's no reason GM couldn't do it...it's just not worth it to them.

12,000 RPM

The Roxor is not street legal.

Would be great if car companies made cheap off road and track day specials. I think there is interest.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 22, 2018, 02:16:36 PM

They shouldn't have named it "Blazer." Travadia? Arcaverse? Whatever, its not a Blazer.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2018, 07:54:31 PM
The Roxor is not street legal.

Would be great if car companies made cheap off road and track day specials. I think there is interest.

Fair enough, yeah.  I imagine it's just not worth it to the big companies to do vehicles like that.  Once a company gets so large, they lose room to innovate because people (investors) expect stability.  The smaller companies is where the one-offs and innovation happens because they can take the risk.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 23, 2018, 10:28:28 AM
Fair enough, yeah.  I imagine it's just not worth it to the big companies to do vehicles like that.  Once a company gets so large, they lose room to innovate because people (investors) expect stability.  The smaller companies is where the one-offs and innovation happens because they can take the risk.
For sure. With off roading though, there seems to be enough sustained serious interest that something like a GM Roxor could make sense. Trackday specials maybe a little less so, but still... there are people still interested in track days. Maybe more if they could get something for like $10-15K that is solid out of the box + not complete lunchmeat down long straights. GM has the know how to do that. A $100K track car is easy, my daughter could spec out a decent one. A $15K one? Now we are talking.

giant_mtb

In the off road world, side by sides have taken over as the relatively affordable alternative for high performance.  Obviously people are still wheelin Jeeps, but damn, SBS's are yuuuuuuge. 

12,000 RPM

Yea I remembered SBSs after I posted that. Would love some kind of off road 4 wheel track equivalent

veeman

If the upcoming Ford Bronco is a sales success I'm sure GM will get busy making a competitor.  They can call it a GMC Jimmy.

Blazer is a cool name.  Older guys/gals (and I do mean older) have good memories of cool looking trucks with off road cred.  The Trailblazer name kind of sucks because the prior Trailblazer SUV was kind of just OK even though it was pretty decent for its time.  The Equinox name is completely forgettable.  The Traverse name is lame as well.  The Tahoe name rocks just because the truck has been so well received for so many years.

Hopefully the Blazer name remains cool.  Unlike the Pathfinder.

12,000 RPM

Yea, it's a shame what they did to the Pathfinder.

CaminoRacer

If the Charger can be a 4 door, the Blazer can be a midsize CUV.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 24, 2018, 03:52:24 PM
Yea, it's a shame what they did to the Pathfinder.
:hesaid:

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 24, 2018, 03:59:43 PM
If the Charger can be a 4 door, the Blazer can be a midsize CUV.
:rage: Sign of the times......

Gotta-Qik-C7