The Official Mustang Thread

Started by SVT666, June 04, 2007, 10:07:09 AM

GoCougs

Oh, boy, defending the Y-block ;). Don't see that very often, if ever. Granted, Ford's first important step out of the flat head world, but it was another short-lived motor that didn't quite cut it. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on October 15, 2017, 06:38:55 PM
Oh, boy, defending the Y-block ;). Don't see that very often, if ever. Granted, Ford's first important step out of the flat head world, but it was another short-lived motor that didn't quite cut it. 
Admittedly, the siamese exhaust ports were not ideal, a folly of the times, but what was learned from the Y-block, thin wall casting, deep skirting for durability, etc., was incorporated into the design of the FE series where they achieved a light-weight (comparative) engine that went on to achieve greatness on the streets and racetracks of the world.

Although, in fact, the Y-block was rather short lived without a great racing history for the time, the similar MEL version of the Y-block achieved fame in the grueling Carrera Panamericana endurance race winning for 3 years in a row in a Lincoln Capri. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

QuoteJust as before, the 2018 Mustang GT is getting an optional Performance Package that brings stiffer suspension, bigger Brembo brakes, and other performance goodies to the table. Ford might be augmenting it with a so-called "Level 2" Performance Package that's set to arrive after launch. This package isn't confirmed yet, but there's a lot of evidence that points to its arrival.

The earliest mention of a Performance Package Level 2 came from a user on the Mustang6G.com forum claiming to be a Ford dealer employee. Last November—two months before the 2018 Mustang debuted—the user posted some of the colors and option codes for the upcoming car. So far, every single one of the options listed in that post has been confirmed, save for the Performance Package Level 2.

In July, AutoGuide published what it claims is a dealer ordering guide for the 2018 Mustang that also references the Performance Package Level 2. This guide says that it'll only be offered for manual-transmission Mustang GT coupes with the Premium Package.

Another dealer ordering guide surfaced on Mustang6G in August that makes a quick reference to the Performance Package Level 2. This guide, designed to help customers customize their 2018 Mustangs, shows a set of 19-inch wheels saying that they're "included in GT Performance Package Level 2," which will be available in December.

We haven't yet seen these wheels in any official capacity, but longtime aftermarket supplier CJ Pony Parts uncovered pictures of a 2018 wearing them. Interestingly, the Mustang equipped with these wheels is riding on a set of Michelin's track-ready Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. These tires come standard on the Shelby GT350R, and represent a significant upgrade over the GT Performance Package's Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires, at least where dry grip is concerned.

Per another ordering guide on Mustang6G, these wheels will also be available on non-Premium Package Mustang GT Fastbacks, but there's no mention of a Performance Package Level 2 for this specific model. The ordering guide doesn't specify tires, either.

A Ford representative told us that the company has "[n]o news to share on Performance Pack Level 2 today." That's not a confirmation, but it's not a denial either.

So, there are a lot of signs pointing to Ford building a more track-focused Mustang GT, but there's still a lot we don't know. Still, the fact that a 2018 test vehicle is running around on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires indicates that Ford is serious about a making a rival to the Camaro SS 1LE.

I do really like those wheels
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The 2018 Mustang updates do look very good, esp. the front end. Perhaps after some ~25+ years the Mustang GT will finally match the Camaro Z28/SS in performance. But then again, there is a rumored LT2 rumored for MY2019 and the Camaro still holds a chassis and weight advantage...

r0tor

I wonder if Ford is pulling a GM move and using tires not suitable for wet conditions in order to increase handling stats...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on October 20, 2017, 05:38:59 AM
I wonder if Ford is pulling a GM move and using tires not suitable for wet conditions in order to increase handling stats...

Yeah just like every manufacturer
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on October 20, 2017, 01:43:40 AM
The 2018 Mustang updates do look very good, esp. the front end. Perhaps after some ~25+ years the Mustang GT will finally match the Camaro Z28/SS in performance. But then again, there is a rumored LT2 rumored for MY2019 and the Camaro still holds a chassis and weight advantage...
Absolute performance can't take priority over everything else, even in a pony car. This is why the faster 4th gen F-body was discontinued. Current Camaro isn't that bad, but the Mustang is still the superior car to live with.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 20, 2017, 05:38:59 AM

Sport Cup 2s should be fine so long as you're not driving through deep standing water.  I've watched guys on pure slicks auto-x in the rain/wet without issue and demonstrating more grip than cars shod with street tires.  So long as there's no standing water water...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on October 20, 2017, 01:43:40 AM

The more rounded front end shape is nice, but the details of the fascia is an incohesive mess.  The upper grille doesn't pair with the lower grille in shape as on the '15-'17.  If you look at the previous model, particularly those without ACC, the two grilles are a cohesive shape split into two by the bumper bar.  The new one doesn't.  Those winglets that resemble catfish whiskers at the lower front corners look completely out of place.  The gloss black upper grille clashes with the matte black lower grille and splitter lip.  The outboard corner of the headlight doesn't align with or flow into the beltline crease that runs from the front fender, through the door handle, through the rear fender and to the back of the car.  The "S" curve stamped into the hood looks awkward from many angles.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on October 20, 2017, 06:25:37 AM
Sport Cup 2s should be fine so long as you're not driving through deep standing water.  I've watched guys on pure slicks auto-x in the rain/wet without issue and demonstrating more grip than cars shod with street tires.  So long as there's no standing water water...

Not all Cup2s are the same... Per the C&D lightening lap story, the Cup 2s that the Germans use are designed for wet traction while GM's that they fit on the Vette and Camaro are not
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on October 23, 2017, 05:38:37 AM
Not all Cup2s are the same... Per the C&D lightening lap story, the Cup 2s that the Germans use are designed for wet traction while GM's that they fit on the Vette and Camaro are not

Pretty sure the ones on the AMG GT-R are exactly the same as the Corvette ones as per Motortrend.  They share the same part number/DOT number or whatever
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Holy hell  :facepalm:

QuoteIn our experience, German manufacturers typically are more concerned than their Yankee counterparts with the wet grip of their high-perform­ance tires. For the Z06, Michelin was free to beef up dry grip, which is traditionally at odds with wet grip. It's hard to fault Mercedes for using such a capable tire, and the Vette team should be flattered that AMG's heaviest hitter is available with their tires, although they probably wouldn't like to learn that the GT R one-upped the Z06 by 0.01 g to set a new record grip of 1.21 g's in VIR's Turn 1 this year.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/if-you-cant-beat-em-buy-em-the-raciest-version-of-mercedes-amg-gt-r-wears-corvette-tires/

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/2019-ford-mustang-gt500-confirmed/

QuoteYesterday, thanks to a generous tipster, we found photos of what looks to be a new Ford Mustang Bullitt. Ford's public relations team wouldn't comment, but considering how production-ready the car looked, we wouldn't be surprised to see the Mustang Bullitt revealed at next month's Detroit Auto Show. But thanks to some leaked photos posted on a fan forum, there's a chance the Bullitt could be joined by another Mustang: the new Shelby GT500.

In a recent thread on Mustang6G, a Ford Mustang fan forum, user "Super Werty" posted two photos. One was a close-up of the car's engine bay, showing what looks to be the top of a supercharger that's been stamped with the Cobra symbol and "5.2 L." The second was of an engine oil requirements document that shows the "5.2L Mustang GT350" being produced alongside the "5.2L Supercharged Mustang GT500." Assuming the 10/13/2017 date at the bottom of the document is accurate, it's fairly recent.

Later in the same thread, user "dwalker" posted a photo of an absolutely massive Brembo brake that they believe is also meant for the GT500. They also suggest that there may be a version called the Cobra R that's meant to take on the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE.

Since these are forum posts, they obviously have to be taken with a grain of salt. Still, based on the admin's confidence in the information and the forum's past history of digging up information Ford doesn't want us to see, we're willing to bet this is legitimate.

As far as how much power the new GT500 will make, it really depends on how Ford wants to position it. You have to assume it will significantly outgun the GT350 and its 526 hp, but to take on the Camaro ZL1, the GT500 will need at least 650 hp. Then again, Ford may also have its sights set on the 707-hp Dodge Challenger Hellcat. Mustang6G has even heard a rumor that the GT500 might make more than 800 hp. As crazy as that would be, Hennessey already offers a supercharger upgrade for the GT350 that brings power up to a claimed (Dodge Demon-beating) 858 hp and 673 lb-ft of torque.

I'm not sure I care. I'd be happy with a normal GT + lumpy cams and some suspension upgrades.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

~200-250HP/ton is the sweet spot for the street. GT is there

GoCougs

Kudos to Ford for sticking with supercharging. Hitch is the S550 chassis isn't up to the task of the Alpha Camaro - the GT350R barely outguns the lowly SS 1LE. I predict the GT500 will be more Hellcat than ZL1, which is fine, as the Hellcat is a fantastic GT bruiser.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on December 14, 2017, 12:41:07 AM
Kudos to Ford for sticking with supercharging. Hitch is the S550 chassis isn't up to the task of the Alpha Camaro - the GT350R barely outguns the lowly SS 1LE. I predict the GT500 will be more Hellcat than ZL1, which is fine, as the Hellcat is a fantastic GT bruiser.
:hesaid:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 14, 2017, 12:41:07 AM
Nothing the Camaro does better than the Mustang matters to anyone but bench racers, which is exactly why the "superior" car's sales are in the tubes. What good is 600+ HP with a blindfold?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2017, 07:03:45 PM
Nothing the Camaro does better than the Mustang matters to anyone but bench racers, which is exactly why the "superior" car's sales are in the tubes. What good is 600+ HP with a blindfold?
:facepalm:  :deadhorse"

GoCougs

Motor Trend OnDemand now has up a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2018 Mustang GT PP1 comparison.

Vid starts off kinda of a goofy. Long/short of it, according to them, Mustang has better interior, exhaust sound, and 0-150 mph time, but the Camaro is quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and is light-years ahead in handling, chassis and track performance. To be fair, the GT's PP2, not yet available, sounds to be equivalent to the 1LE package, but since the 1LE almost matches the GT350R, not sure how much that will close the gap.

68_427

Yeah the 1LE was more than 3 seconds faster around streets.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

The SS 1LE was just a second off the 2018 911 Turbo S, and ahead of stuff like the Cayman GT4. Probst said one of the best ever, at any price point.

IMO, the SS 1LE shows that stuff like the ZL1 is mostly irrelevant, esp. if they fix that damned too-tall gearing (= slower 0-150 mph time).

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on January 17, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
The SS 1LE was just a second off the 2018 911 Turbo S, and ahead of stuff like the Cayman GT4. Probst said one of the best ever, at any price point.

IMO, the SS 1LE shows that stuff like the ZL1 is mostly irrelevant, esp. if they fix that damned too-tall gearing (= slower 0-150 mph time).

I'd bet money the 1LE was still in 4th gear
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

The only person here who tracks $60K+ cars drives Porsches

In real life the Mustang is just the better car. I know interiors and refinement aren't exciting talk in the context of performance cars, but these are still daily driven street cars and the differences in dynamics and performance are minimal. A Mustang GT at WOT is still going to put hair on your chest.

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on January 17, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
I'd bet money the 1LE was still in 4th gear

By my figuring, the SS 1LE was in the top of 4th at 150 mph (146 mph actually). The Mustang does 133 mph in 4th, so not near the advantage I was thinking. It could be the 1LE's more aggressive aero, if it exists. The smaller car with the better power/weight ratio will be slower at higher speeds for a reason.

GM isn't idiots of course, and my guess is the LT1's super flat torque curve means more aggressive gearing means very little if any acceleration gain, yet there will be a notable decrease in MPG. Yet, should I ever end up with an SS/SS 1LE, I'm getting better gears and maybe the cam/head GM performance upgrade.

Gotta-Qik-C7

MX793

One Mustang at a car gathering is a safety hazard.  A group of them?  Carmegeddon.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Looks like even the base Mustang is a threat to society now. Alex On Autos got one with the 10AT to 60 in 4.9s. Power is up to 315 and torque is up to 350. Still sounds like shit but you can't deny that pull

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2018, 10:54:06 AM
Looks like even the base Mustang is a threat to society now. Alex On Autos got one with the 10AT to 60 in 4.9s. Power is up to 315 and torque is up to 350. Still sounds like shit but you can't deny that pull

That the base car comes with low-po all seasons (by A/S standards) doesn't help.  Wet grip with the OE tires in my old V6 was so poor that it would break the tires loose in 3rd gear from a roll on damp roads as soon as you hit 3000 RPM.
Needs more Jiggawatts