Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on February 19, 2020, 01:03:28 PM
The freshly painted flares make such a huge difference...they look great.

Thank you, I agree!  I think one of these days I'll just order factory black plastic ones so I don't have to keep re-coating these ones every year. The factory ones aren't textured, but they are easier to clean and keep clean as a result and are probably less prone to fading. Plus if they start to fade ..fuck it, I'll just coat those ones. :lol:

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Submariner on February 19, 2020, 01:03:28 PM
The freshly painted flares make such a huge difference...they look great.

Combined w/ the black wheels = looks awesome!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 19, 2020, 02:25:30 PM
Combined w/ the black wheels = looks awesome!

Was indeed the look I wanted. It was too "bright" with red flares and stock shiny wheels. Needed some contrast, and I am a big fan of black/red combos.

Unfortunately the wheels have started to lose the black paint. Winter here is just too harsh for aftermarket finishes. Powdercoat or bust, basically.

giant_mtb

Oh and the sideview mirrors were red before, too.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2020, 02:34:05 PM
Oh and the sideview mirrors were red before, too.
Still red in your signature picture.  Black looks a lot better.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 19, 2020, 02:45:32 PM
Still red in your signature picture.  Black looks a lot better.

Oh snap. Yeah, I have sigs turned off so I never see it...that pic is from at least like 3 years ago!

I did the flares first and then thought...ya know what...those need to be black, too.

I accidentally ripped the passenger side one off a summer or two ago when I slid backwards down a hill and caught a tree...black ones are only like $26 so I just bought one of those to replace it. Saves me work. 😅

giant_mtb

Also, thinking this summer I might do an add-a-leaf kit...puts a 1.5" lift on the rear and then I have the adjustable height Bilstein shocks up front so I can jack up the front to match. Would be helpful without being obnoxious, especially when I'm carrying around the snowblower or dirtbike+camping gear. The rear bottoms out even unloaded on some of the nasty bumps around here.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2020, 02:53:09 PM
Also, thinking this summer I might do an add-a-leaf kit...puts a 1.5" lift on the rear and then I have the adjustable height Bilstein shocks up front so I can jack up the front to match. Would be helpful without being obnoxious, especially when I'm carrying around the snowblower or dirtbike+camping gear. The rear bottoms out even unloaded on some of the nasty bumps around here.

But the ride will be so hard. I like squishy riding trucks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 19, 2020, 05:21:27 PM
But the ride will be so hard. I like squishy riding trucks.

Depends on the kit. And whether or not you take out the overload leaf.

From what I have heard/read, anyway.

My friend with an '06 double cab is ordering an AAL kit tonight (and he also has the same shocks as me all around), so I'll be able to have a nice A/B comparison before I decide.

Blocks would certainly be easier. But it would be nice to cut down on squat when she's loaded up with GEAR.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2020, 06:09:50 PM
Depends on the kit. And whether or not you take out the overload leaf.

From what I have heard/read, anyway.

My friend with an '06 double cab is ordering an AAL kit tonight (and he also has the same shocks as me all around), so I'll be able to have a nice A/B comparison before I decide.

Blocks would certainly be easier. But it would be nice to cut down on squat when she's loaded up with GEAR.

Blocks are lame,anyway.
You can also get airspring kit. Inflate when you need spring. Deflate for normal.

giant_mtb

Last thing I would trust to last through winter is an aftermarket airbag system.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2020, 07:11:02 PM
Last thing I would trust to last through winter is an aftermarket airbag system.

Hmmm, good point.
Well, see how friend's taco rides.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 19, 2020, 07:36:56 PM
Hmmm, good point.
Well, see how friend's taco rides.

I shall. The kit he showed me is $215. Not bad. Already have da fancy Bilsteinz.

giant_mtb

A much needed inside/out cleaning for ze Taco yesterday.  Kota's seat is pretty stained with it being spring (mud season) and how much we've been cruising around during lockdown. Oh well. Maybe I'll get a cheap seat cover.

First time I've actually waxed her (with the buffer and actual wax, not just a quick spray wax job) in about a year. The buffer and real wax does a good job cleaning up the paint and bringing depth back.

veeman

looks great!  I like steelies. 

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I window shop trucks and trailers on craigslist- Taco is on the top of the list for small trailers.
Will

giant_mtb

Rear add-a-leaf kit is on its way. 1.5" lift. Will be lifting the front via the adjustable Billstein shoxxx. Also getting the popular ECGS bushing.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing-eliminates-needle-bearing.html

giant_mtb

Taco has over 215,000 miles now.  A few dings and dents from XTreem Weeling.  Rear diff is moaning.  Engine/tranny R g00d.  Front end needs everything badly (shocks, ball joints, tie rods).  Steering box might be dying or is just leaky and squeaky.

Fresh Taco coming soon, old Taco will stick around for woods beater until decisions are made about what to do with it.  It's in no condition for a dealership to buy.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2022, 12:59:13 PM
Taco has over 215,000 miles now.  A few dings and dents from XTreem Weeling.  Rear diff is moaning.  Engine/tranny R g00d.  Front end needs everything badly (shocks, ball joints, tie rods).  Steering box might be dying or is just leaky and squeaky.

Fresh Taco coming soon, old Taco will stick around for woods beater until decisions are made about what to do with it.  It's in no condition for a dealership to buy.

I hate it when a Taco falls apart.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 14, 2022, 12:59:13 PM

Congrats.  Any details?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on April 14, 2022, 07:13:44 PM
Congrats.  Any details?

Still browsing.  There's basically nothing local, gonna have to drive down to Wisconsin probably.

Plan is a 3rd-gen TRD Off Road, full 4-door with the shorter bed.  Would be nice to have back seats/more interior room, despite sacrificing a foot of bed.

MaxPower

I bought a 2022 Tacoma TRD ORLB in April. Was slim pickings at the time, late December; I contacted every dealer in my state for a specific configuration and only heard back from one about six weeks later. Still haven't heard from any others. Then it took about 3 months to build and ship.

It replaced a 2001 Tacoma. I miss the stick shift but I needed four doors and the long bed more than a manual transmission. It's a solid truck.

giant_mtb

Niiiice. Pretty rare to see a crewcab with the long bed. At least around here. 

Eye of the Tiger

Nice, it's a big little truck.

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Put a deposit down for a 2022 TRD OffRoad. Crew cab, 5' bed.

Things are selling like hotcakes. She was scrolling through their incoming inventory of Tacomas...like 75% were already spoken for. This one was reasonably priced, so I said...sure, fuck it. Gimme that one.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 22, 2022, 12:32:18 PM
Put a deposit down for a 2022 TRD OffRoad. Crew cab, 5' bed.

Things are selling like hotcakes. She was scrolling through their incoming inventory of Tacomas...like 75% were already spoken for. This one was reasonably priced, so I said...sure, fuck it. Gimme that one.

Wow. Big TRD.

CALL_911

Hell yeah. Great move

Their asking prices are ludicrous for a 17 or so year old design, but I'd have done the same thing in your shoes. How is it specced?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 22, 2022, 01:37:53 PM
Hell yeah. Great move

Their asking prices are ludicrous for a 17 or so year old design, but I'd have done the same thing in your shoes. How is it specced?

Pretty bog-standard TRD OR, with a few typical options. Cloth interior, magnetic gray metallic paint (dark gray). Bed lighting kit, blacked out badging, running boards (will likely ditch those), all-weather floor mats, mud flaps, etc...the usual stuff.  Nothing fancy, which is fine by me. Main reason I wanted the OR spec was for the rear diff lock, I give zero fucks about the rest of it. Only been in a couple situations where I've really wanted/needed a locker, but it's good backup.

Was originally thinking I'd go used, but was surprised at the price on this unit. Might as well send it and go brand new. She'll be my baby for the next 10-15 years and all the miles will be mine.

giant_mtb

Old Taco will be going to a good home. A friend of mine has been wanting it, one of those "when you're ready to get rid of it, let me know" situations.  He's a true mechanic, has a sick ass Yota wheeling rig, so he'll fix her up nice and mod it as he sees fit for a new DD.  His wife really likes it, too.  He's a Toyota guy through and through.

Really not sure what to ask for it, though. Probably like 3-4k given its condition.