Genesis GV80: First Official Photos And Details Of Luxury SUV

Started by cawimmer430, January 01, 2020, 05:22:26 AM

cawimmer430

Gorgeous interior.  :wub:

Genesis GV80: First Official Photos And Details Of Luxury SUV

After a lot of back and forth on its presentation date, Genesis finally decided to go public with the first official images and details on its GV80 luxury SUV, just a couple of hours before the clock strikes a new decade (at least here on the East Coast).

A competitor to the likes of the BMW X5, Mercedes-Benz GLE, and Audi Q7, the Korean brand's first every sport-utility vehicle is far from an unknown quantity to CarScoops readers, no thanks to a flood of leaked pictures over the past few months.

The styling, previewed by the GV80 Concept at the 2017 New York auto show, is the collaborative effort of the Genesis Design studios in South Korea, the United States and Germany.

The GV80 looks both athletic and sophisticated on the outside, though we must say that we much preferred the Concept's slimmer and more chic grille instead of the production car's massive pentagonal grille, which along with the quad lamps, are becoming a new design signature for Genesis, as seen on the restyled 2020 G90.

Inside, Genesis went for a minimalist look and layout without overloading the dashboard with controls. The cabin features minimal physical buttons offering instead a new touch screen climate control and a large, standalone touch-screen for the infotainment system. In the official photo, there's a digital instrument panel, but we've seen an analogue versios as well, though we suspect that the latter will be offered in Korea only.

Other notable elements in the interior are the slim air vents stretching across the front, the two spoke steering wheel and the lack of a traditional gear-lever with Genesis opting instead for a jewel-like, rotating electronic gear selector – something Jaguar had done in the past before reverting to a regular shifter. Genesis said that the GV80 will be offered in both two and three row layouts.

Any news on the powertrains?

Like its sedan siblings, the new GV80 is based on a rear-wheel-drive platform unique to the Genesis brand, with all-wheel drive being optional. While no powertrains have been officially confirmed yet, leaked information from South Korea talks of the availability of three engines in its home market.

At launch, there will be a 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel producing 274 hp (205 kW / 278 PS) and 434 lb-ft (589 Nm) paired to an 8-speed automatic for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 6.8 seconds.

A few weeks later, it will be joined by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder delivering 300 hp (224 kW / 304 PS) and 311 lb-ft (422 Nm) of torque allowing for a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 6.9 seconds. Sitting at the top of the range will be a 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 with 375 hp (279 kW / 380 PS) and 390 lb-ft (530 Nm) of torque, which drops the 0-62mph (100km/h) time to 5.7 seconds.

In all likelihood, both gasoline engines will be available in North America.

When does it go on sale?

Genesis said that the GV80 is set to launch globally in 2020, with sales to commence in its home market of South Korea in January. Expect the GV80 to make its U.S. debut at the New York Auto Show in April and go on sale a few months after that.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/genesis-gv80-first-official-photos-and-details-of-luxury-suv/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

Given that the Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride have won every comparison test I've seen with automotive mags saying they feel more expensive than they are, this car looks like it will be awesome! 

I haven't seen an SUV recently offered in both 2 and 3 row variants. They're usually either 2 row or 3 row.  Makes me think the 3 row variant will have a very cramped 3rd row, kind of like the Audi Q7. 

WookieOnRitalin

When I see this, I become more disappointed in GM and Cadillac. If these had a Caddy badge, they would probably be selling like crazy. It's not my market, but I hope Genesis gets some credit for doing some excellent work to be a competitive brand.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Payman

Simple, well placed lines do so much for the overall design. This is cohesive and attractive, and very upscale looking.

MX793

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 02, 2020, 06:00:42 AM
When I see this, I become more disappointed in GM and Cadillac. If these had a Caddy badge, they would probably be selling like crazy. It's not my market, but I hope Genesis gets some credit for doing some excellent work to be a competitive brand.

At this stage, I feel like a Cadillac badge is a liability.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2020, 08:57:10 AM
At this stage, I feel like a Cadillac badge is a liability.

The front grille on this Genesis is kinda shaped like a big Cadillac badge... :lol:

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 02, 2020, 09:35:29 AM
The front grille on this Genesis is kinda shaped like a big Cadillac badge... :lol:

I am pleased to see that someone else sees it as well. Cadillac used to mean something and it seems as though almost all of its brand equity has ended up in the shitter.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

MX793

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 02, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
I am pleased to see that someone else sees it as well. Cadillac used to mean something and it seems as though almost all of its brand equity has ended up in the shitter.

Caddy threw their brand equity away 40 years ago when they built crap for 25 years.  They started to build it back up some in the early 2000s with some of their excellent sedans, but seem to have relapsed towards mediocrity with recent models.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: MX793 on January 03, 2020, 07:55:24 AM
Caddy threw their brand equity away 40 years ago when they built crap for 25 years.  They started to build it back up some in the early 2000s with some of their excellent sedans, but seem to have relapsed towards mediocrity with recent models.

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see what used ATS's would fetch these days and to my surprise, they can be had for 10-15k with less than 50k of mileage. That shows you how much the value for Caddy's has gone down.

Rooting for GM is like rooting for the Bears. Every now and then they have a good season to get you optimistic, then they rip your heart out with mediocrity for the next 4 seasons.

It's a company with its perpetual head stuck up its ass. Take a risk. Get bold. At this point, what do they have to lose with Cadillac? Either that or dump it and just divert that capital to Buick/Chevy.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Speed_Racer

That is one classy ride! I hope they improve their dealership experience, from what I've read it's a pretty bad time

CaminoRacer

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 03, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see what used ATS's would fetch these days and to my surprise, they can be had for 10-15k with less than 50k of mileage. That shows you how much the value for Caddy's has gone down.

Not quite that low here but definitely $15-17k for a clean title car with around 50k miles. Wow. Might have to replace my Mazda6 with one...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

Love the interior but that exterior is just not sitting right with me.  Something about it is just....off and its not the front cause I generally like that.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Xer0 on January 15, 2020, 11:10:19 AM
Love the interior but that exterior is just not sitting right with me.  Something about it is just....off and its not the front cause I generally like that.

The odd thing for me is that it feels like a rear-heavy design because of the shrinking side windows and downsloping roof and belt lines, kinda like the LR Evoque and its shrinking windows and downlsoping roof.  It just kinda makes it look as if it has too many bags of cement in the trunk.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on January 15, 2020, 05:35:26 AM

:golfclap:
I'm trying to be objective, but that thing growing out of the dash just looks weird to me. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

veeman

I can't tell if this is a legit 3 row SUV or more a 2 row SUV with only for small kids third row.  The new Cadillac Escalade coming out and current Lincoln Nav as well as smaller Aviator have a decent sized 3rd row. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 15, 2020, 11:43:56 AM
I'm trying to be objective, but that thing growing out of the dash just looks weird to me. :huh:

They all look like that now.
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2020, 07:13:37 PM
They all look like that now.
I don't like any of them.  However, the rest of the interior looks pretty good.

Morris Minor

The G70 put Infiniti into the coffin.
This completes the burial.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Probably Infiniti's best seller, the QX60, the Genesis GV80 goes right at.  It's going to be a bit more expensive than the QX60 but not by that much once you option up the Infiniti.  Infiniti used to be the good priced, sporty, luxury make but I agree with you that it seems to be done with Genesis putting the final nails in. 

Laconian

Nissan's been resting on their FM+VQ laurels for far too long, now. It was a cool platform/engine combo... eighteen years ago :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT