Mazda MX-5 Pickup

Started by cawimmer430, May 31, 2019, 07:00:39 AM

cawimmer430

:confused:

This Mazda MX-5 Pickup Is Definitely Lacking Some Attention

Have you ever seen an MX-5 with a pickup conversion? We have, some two years ago in an ad on Craigslist and we think this might be that very same car. If so, it definitely looks like it's experienced better days.

According to that old ad, the car was supposed to be a salvaged 1990 Miata with 22,000 miles on the clock. The asking price? "$6,000 or best offer" – we're actually curious what happened to it, since we didn't keep tabs on whether or not someone bought it.

Goodbye sports car

In order to turn his Miata into something entirely different, the owner of this car had the wheelbase stretched and then added a truck bed, while leaving the fabric roof intact. We're pretty sure its handling characteristics are no longer excellent, while the 0-60 time was surely influenced too, and not in a good way.

As for why we think this might be that exact same car from 2017, it's that peeled off decal on the side, and the similar exterior color. Overall though, we can't object to this image belonging on Reddit's main thread for poor car mods, which is where we found it.

Getting it right when doing a pickup conversion is pretty difficult. In fact, we've only seen a handful of cars that came out looking good after gaining a truck bed, the best example being this 2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi Ute.

However, for every one of those, there's something like this BMW 325i pickup, which fails to do any justice to the car's original design.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/this-mazda-mx-5-pickup-is-definitely-lacking-some-attention/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

:lol:  Uh....it's a matter of taste...or lack thereof.

FoMoJo

"Eyesore" is the only word to describe it.  That rear wheel well is just ugly. :facepalm:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

I think the wheel well was designed for 35 inch tires.

Which is exactly what I'd put on this if I had it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

The wheelbase is just too long, and the rear overhang too short. I would really like to see dual rear drive axles on that.

Payman

The most disturbing thing about it is that somebody put money, time, and effort into it.

FoMoJo

I would wonder if that is the vision they had in mind before starting the project.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

A case of the wrong tool for the job. :lol: