Zoom Zoom

Started by CaminoRacer, January 11, 2018, 09:32:53 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 28, 2018, 06:20:43 PM
Before:

After:

One coat of POR-15. Will do a second coat tomorrow, then spray some clear over it for UV protection. The black does a decent job of blending in with the dark gray metallic. I vaguely thought about color matching it all, but it's not worth the time or money. My motivation for the paint job is to stop rust - making it look a bit better is just a side effect.
I gotta small patch like that on the 'Rolla. I need to try that myself!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

I did chip off as much bubbled paint as possible, then used a steel wool pad to sand off any loose rust.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Rusty Mazdas.....

How old is it?
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

It's a 2004. It's had this rust spot for years - probably since 2011 or 2012.

CaminoRacer

Today I took off the silly clear license plate cover that was getting all fogged/yellowed. Looks much nicer now!

For some reason, my license plate screws are those security hex head bolts. Took me a few weeks to find a matching hex head bit to take them off. I guess no one will steal my plate thanks to them?..

93JC

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 29, 2018, 10:45:54 AM
... those security hex head bolts

:confused:

I don't think I've ever seen one.

CaminoRacer

93JC

Oh I got the gist, and already googled. I figured they had a centre pin just like a security Torx head, which is by far the most common security screws I see (in buildings; stuff I work on). I've just never actually seen one, that I can recall. Seems so weird that's what ended up on your licence plate.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on May 29, 2018, 06:01:37 PM
Oh I got the gist, and already googled. I figured they had a centre pin just like a security Torx head, which is by far the most common security screws I see (in buildings; stuff I work on). I've just never actually seen one, that I can recall. Seems so weird that's what ended up on your licence plate.

One of the Corolla/Vibe cars I had had them. I had to cut them off.

CaminoRacer

Harbor Freight has a bit set for $6.99 that includes hex and torx security bits. So if it happens again, that'll save you a bit of effort. :lol:

CaminoRacer

New BFGs

CaminoRacer

Love the sidewalls on these tires. Nice and stiff, perfect for instilling confidence in corners. But the ride quality is still good.

CaminoRacer

Passenger front rotor is probably FUBAR'd. It's got some sort of corrosion on the braking surface and it's making the worst grinding noises + throwing lots of brake dust. New rotor + pads, I guess.

CaminoRacer

Turns out the outer pad was completely worn down (inner is practically brand new). The guide pins must not be lubed enough. Quick trip to Autozone for new rotor, pads, and lube should do the trick.

CaminoRacer

Fuggin Autozone doesn't have the Max pads in stock, so I had to order them and wait until Tuesday to get them. I did that, but also bought the cheapo pads so I could install something today and get the car driving again. It's all lubed up and ready to go now.

I also fixed the annoying rattle. The heat shield on the Cadillacâ„¢ converter rusted away and split into 2. The bottom half fell off a couple weeks ago, leaving the top half to rattle constantly. Had to cut the metal with wire cutters like a n00b, since an 02 sensor was plugged in through the hole. But it worked and now it sounds way less ghetto.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 09, 2018, 01:21:37 PM
Fuggin Autozone doesn't have the Max pads in stock, so I had to order them and wait until Tuesday to get them. I did that, but also bought the cheapo pads so I could install something today and get the car driving again. It's all lubed up and ready to go now.

I also fixed the annoying rattle. The heat shield on the Cadillacâ„¢ converter rusted away and split into 2. The bottom half fell off a couple weeks ago, leaving the top half to rattle constantly. Had to cut the metal with wire cutters like a n00b, since an 02 sensor was plugged in through the hole. But it worked and now it sounds way less ghetto.
THIS PHRASE IS WAAAAY MORE GHETTO THAN THE RATTLE WAS!  :lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Onslaught

Wow, Mazda's must lust like shit in the north. To be fair all cars do but damn. I'd not be a Mazda nut if they did that down here.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

giant_mtb

Quote from: Onslaught on June 15, 2018, 06:01:54 PM
Wow, Mazda's must lust like shit in the north. To be fair all cars do but damn. I'd not be a Mazda nut if they did that down here.

Anything that goes relatively untouched will end up like that. I'm amazed at the age/condition of some cars on the road when I drive just a hundred or two miles south.  It's no joke.  I'll get jazzed about seeing a 2004 Grand Am that isn't a total rust bucket.

Onslaught

I know. I've cut new cars apart before from NY and it has rust in between all the panels. And all the bolts are rusted up and snap off. I couldn't deal with that shit up there. And I'd never be a body man up north. Actually it would be OK because you wouldn't need to have any guarantees up there.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

68_427

Quote from: Onslaught on June 15, 2018, 07:26:14 PM
I know. I've cut new cars apart before from NY and it has rust in between all the panels. And all the bolts are rusted up and snap off. I couldn't deal with that shit up there. And I'd never be a body man up north. Actually it would be OK because you wouldn't need to have any guarantees up there.

Did rust repair for two years here.  Cars backed up all year round.

This is also why I never get my cars fixed in a timely manor.  Rust on fucking everything. 
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Money was good though

Did more of these than I could count, but I don't care I love these trucks.  Got to the point I was faster making the rockers from scratch versus buying replacements.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Yeah I just put POR-15 on everything. Works for me! Gonna do the El Camino's underside at some point.

CaminoRacer

I think the rear shocks are toast so I bought some Monroes from Rockauto. But now I'm looking up the process and it looks like a PITA. Instead of just removing the shock bolts, you have to actually remove the upper mount and swing it down to be able to get the top bolt off. Looks like an offset wrench might help though?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123792415-mazda6-rear-shock-bracket

When I do the swap I'm also gonna inspect the springs. The rear seems to sit lower than the front, but I can't remember if that's how it was when it was new or not.

CaminoRacer

Shock swap failed.

The bottom bolt was super tight and I rounded the nut. Not worth the effort to torch it off. Old shocks can stay until the car dies

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 06, 2018, 04:15:29 PM
Shock swap failed.

The bottom bolt was super tight and I rounded the nut. Not worth the effort to torch it off. Old shocks can stay until the car dies

:lol:
Will

CaminoRacer

This car has been rear-ended like 3 times so the bumper has been hanging down a bit for years. Seems like it's gotten worse lately, so I Youtube'd how to remove the bumper and it showed where all the various clips are. All I had to do was remove the taillights to get to the upper clips and pop those back in. I think there was supposed to be another clip or screw so I just zip-tied it. Should hopefully get rid of some of the rattles coming from the rear.

CaminoRacer

Also, called the dealership and it's like $320 for them to replace the rear shocks. I might do that. There's an independent shop down the road that I like, but they're closed on Saturdays and I don't think I can drop it off on a weekday right now.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 03, 2018, 05:17:18 PM
Also, called the dealership and it's like $320 for them to replace the rear shocks. I might do that. There's an independent shop down the road that I like, but they're closed on Saturdays and I don't think I can drop it off on a weekday right now.

Done. Much better.

They said the fronts are leaking too. Rockauto has pre-assembled struts for $97. That would make life pretty easy, just have 4 bolts on each side AFAIK. No messing with spring compressors.

CaminoRacer

It was kind of nice to have the dealer do it, since they did a full inspection of everything else. Other things I need to do:

- New wiper blades (haven't noticed one is torn since I've been taking the El Camino lately)
- License plate bulbs are both burnt out
- Transmission fluid probably needs to be flushed
- Power steering fluid might need to be flushed
- I should probably rotate the tires

They said the brake fluid is "dark orange", but I replaced it last Thanksgiving. Probably just residual rust from the old fluid. Not gonna bother with that.

All fairly easy things that I can do myself, but nice to have a second set of eyes. It's interesting that they said the CV joints look fine - when you turn the wheel full-lock it can make a clicking sound. It's been on my radar for a while but hasn't gotten worse, so I haven't replaced them.