2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA Revealed

Started by cawimmer430, January 08, 2019, 06:10:57 PM

cawimmer430

Looks pretty decent. Interior is straight out of the W177 A-Class complete with an improved MBUX system which will allow hand gesture control.

2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA brings its svelte looks to CE

Mercedes-Benz scored a hit with the original CLA. Combining sportiness and style, its attributes helped shine a positive light on the German firm's full compact car portfolio. Now a redesigned model has been revealed, with the covers coming off Tuesday at the 2019 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Due in showrooms in late 2019 as a 2020 model, the new CLA is bigger, more stylish and loaded with much more tech than the model it replaces. The car serves as a sportier alternative to the similarly sized A-Class sedan that's just been added for 2019.

Compared to the model it replaces, the 2020 CLA is both 2 inches longer and wider. This results in more interior space but also lends the car more presence on the road, especially when the available 19-inch wheels are fitted (18-inch wheels are standard). The overall design resembles a scaled-down version of the mid-size CLS, which is definitely a good thing.

Inside, the design matches the cabin of the A-Class. There is a dual-screen interface with 7.0-inch screens for both the instrument cluster and infotainment hub, the latter with touch capability. These can be swapped out for larger 10.25-inch units.

New in the 2020 CLA is an enhanced version of the smartphone-like infotainment system known as MBUX. Among the new features added is an assistant that identifies operation requests on the basis of hand movements. For example, it enables the adaptation of screen content as soon as a hand approaches the touchscreen in the dashboard or the touchpad on the center console. Individual elements are highlighted according to the currently active menu.

There's also augmented reality for navigation and an ability to understand indirect voice commands. The latter can answer internet search-related questions like "What time is the Chicago Bears game tonight?" or "How old is the universe?" or "What did the Dow close at today?"

Naturally, there are also new technologies concerning actual driving. For the first time, the CLA is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain situations thanks to new electronic driver aids. These include, either standard or available, adaptive cruise control with route-based speed adaption, active lane control, automatic emergency braking, and blind-spot monitors with cross traffic warning.

Only one version of the 2020 CLA has been announced so far, a CLA250 with a 2.0-liter turbo-4 that delivers 221 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Its engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and spins the front wheels as standard. All-wheel drive will be available.

Further out, the AMG division will add CLA35 and CLA45 models. These will also pack 2.0-liter turbo-4 engines, but with outputs of around 300 and 400 hp, respectively.

Pricing information for the 2020 Mercedes CLA will be announced closer to launch.

Link: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120787_2020-mercedes-benz-cla-brings-its-svelte-looks-to-ces
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

It looks pretty good from some angles, but in that last picture, it looks enormous. Like a mid-2000s Camry.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Yeah, it does look a bit portly.

That interior though, what a huge improvement over the current one.  It looks amazing.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

93JC

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on January 09, 2019, 06:15:36 PM
Still don't get the point of this.

lol I don't get the point of like half the models that MB/BMW make these days, but they keep making them so I guess people are buying them.

Eye of the Tiger

Finally some competition for the ... uh, Kia Stinger?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

SJ_GTI

Its not bad looking, but it looks so similar to the normal A-Class. From cawimmer430's thread on the A-class:

vs the OP in this thread:

If they were the same colors it would be hard for me to tell them apart.

cawimmer430

Supposedly it's a sportier (and slightly bigger) A-Class Sedan - excuse me, Coupe:tounge:

It's positioned above the A-Class Sedan and below the C-Class.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 09, 2019, 06:30:29 PM
Finally some competition for the ... uh, Kia Stinger?

No, the Bentley Mulsanne.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 10, 2019, 05:45:16 AM
Its not bad looking, but it looks so similar to the normal A-Class. From cawimmer430's thread on the A-class:

If they were the same colors it would be hard for me to tell them apart.

Side view. A-Class Sedan looks a bit "porkier", CLA looks sleeker. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Good thing the sedan has that crease across the top of the doors so we can tell it apart.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 10, 2019, 07:59:17 AM

Interesting - I view it as the opposite. The higher hood/rear window/trunk lines make the CLA look porkier to me, not that it's a huge difference either way.

I've never been a fan of the "coupe" sedans though, even the ones that are near-universally acclaimed as great looking cars.

FoMoJo

Lots of little differences in the body panels, lights, etc.  Are they pretty much the same size?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 10, 2019, 07:55:34 AM
Supposedly it's a sportier (and slightly bigger) A-Class Sedan - excuse me, Coupe:tounge:

It's positioned above the A-Class Sedan and below the C-Class.
Mercedes has jumped the shark.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

I feel if both had blacked out trim, and the same wheels they'd be virtually identical.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 10, 2019, 10:30:28 AM
Interesting - I view it as the opposite. The higher hood/rear window/trunk lines make the CLA look porkier to me, not that it's a huge difference either way.

I've never been a fan of the "coupe" sedans though, even the ones that are near-universally acclaimed as great looking cars.

I always viewed it as a marketing gimmick. It was fresh and "original" with the first generation CLS, but afterwards it was just slapped onto some SUVs and entry-level sedans (CLA).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2019, 10:44:10 AM
Lots of little differences in the body panels, lights, etc.  Are they pretty much the same size?

The photo I posted does not show their real size and length. But here's the data:

Length

A-Class Hatch = 4419mm

A-Class Sedan = 4549mm

2019 CLA "Coupe" =  4688mm

Sources: https://www.autozeitung.de/mercedes/cla/2-generation / https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Baureihe_177

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2019, 12:27:56 PM
I feel if both had blacked out trim, and the same wheels they'd be virtually identical.

I do see a visual difference thanks to the different head- and rear-lights and the sleeker rear window of the CLA. I am certain that if I saw these on the road I'd be able to tell them apart instantly.

On the other hand, I still need a second or two to differentiate between the current C-Class and E-Class!  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

The CLA is lower. The roofline isn't as high

Xer0

The CLA is for people that really like the A sedan but wished it was more expensive.  Thankfully, Mercedes has got you.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 10, 2019, 02:29:24 PM
The CLA is for people that really like the A sedan but wished it was more expensive.  Thankfully, Mercedes has got you.

:lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on January 10, 2019, 02:29:24 PM

Supposedly the CLA will be sportier than the A-Class Sedan. I'm really curious about the first reviews of this new car. I definitely think it's going to be a winner like the new A-Class Hatchback/Sedan; MB really nailed it with these new entry-level cars compared to the lackluster predecessor A-Class/CLA/GLA cars, which were good cars but bad Mercedes'.

I'm giving the B-Class a pass because it was roomy and practical and had good outward vision.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 10, 2019, 05:25:49 PM
Supposedly the CLA will be sportier than the A-Class Sedan. I'm really curious about the first reviews of this new car. I definitely think it's going to be a winner like the new A-Class Hatchback/Sedan; MB really nailed it with these new entry-level cars compared to the lackluster predecessor A-Class/CLA/GLA cars, which were good cars but bad Mercedes'.

I'm giving the B-Class a pass because it was roomy and practical and had good outward vision.  :ohyeah:
There is no modern Mercedes you won't give a pass to

Your A Class is excellent. The CLA is a complete waste of time, space and money
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 10, 2019, 06:03:46 PM
The CLA is a complete waste of time, space and money

The original CLA was a sales success. There's clearly a market for the new model, even with the A-Class Sedan around. Just chill and wait for the first reviews.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Some more photos. Wow, it looks sharp in white. This looks so much better proportioned than the A-Class Sedan. A shame there won't be a Shooting Brake version.

Love the interior - I am biased.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

The A Class looks so much better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on January 20, 2019, 09:10:32 AM
The A Class looks so much better.
Especially compared to what they used to look like...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."