Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

Thanks to the efforts of the man on the balcony it appears that the headlight assemblies will be salvageable.

Galaxy

Like the guy with the garden hose on his balcony. it is the thought that counts.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 20, 2020, 04:22:24 PM
Thanks to the efforts of the man on the balcony it appears that the headlight assemblies will be salvageable.
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

Belgian driving is fucking weird. There is this thing called right turn priority, which is basically a regulation that through traffic must yield to merging traffic at four way stops. It's confusing when someone yields to you ("WTF, why'd he stop?") but giving the right of way to right-turning cars is even stranger. What if I forget to yield, and end up slamming into the right-turning car? I can't really trust my driving instincts to do the right thing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

France technically has this old regulation on the books, however most -- but not all! -- intersections override the rule by placing yield signs ("CEDEZ LE PASSAGE"). Which IMO is even worse, because now you have a hodgepodge of right-priority intersections and non-right-priority intersections. Locals remember which streets are funky. Visitors have to pay extra attention and look for yield signs everywhere. :facepalm:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2020, 03:01:16 AM
Belgian driving is fucking weird. There is this thing called right turn priority, which is basically a regulation that through traffic must yield to merging traffic at four way stops. It's confusing when someone yields to you ("WTF, why'd he stop?") but giving the right of way to right-turning cars is even stranger. What if I forget to yield, and end up slamming into the right-turning car? I can't really trust my driving instincts to do the right thing.
The old "first there, first to go" rule/understanding is best.  No confusion.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

1- We need to get rid of a car. Just don't need 2 minivans, a subar, and Miata LOL.

I want to sell older Odyssey. Won't get much but don't need it and it's old. Keeping Subaru gives us some variety.

Wife kind of wants to sell Subaru since it's had some mechanical issues (headgasket issue wasn't diagnosed properly in Georgia, but we replaced motor and he replaced gasket(s) ).

I would literally drive 2003 Odyssey (Sandy) to Wyoming right now- but it will only fetch us $1500ish.

Thought of selling to Ex or keeping for 3 teen drivers, but who wants to drive an old minivan?
Plus if anything at all goes wrong with it I could see them getting rid of it instead of fixing it- and that could make me upset.

I thought about turning it into a camping van but $$$ and we'll likely be moving this year and driving just 3 cars is going to be interesting...

2- Driving Sandy today, it's just funny how different the models are from 2003 to 2012. We like the (cloth) seating in Sandy better because the A-pillar is further forward, wife is short but still almost hit her head in Puma.

3- I have a super slim powered sub I got as a birthday gift that really helped the stereo in Sandy. It MIGHT fit under the seat in Miata if I take the seat out and do some work. It has just one connector- I'm considering plugging it in and keeping in passenger footwell then just hiding it in trunk when not use. LOL.

Not sure if installing it in trunk will even be audible. Don't want to go to bother of cutting trunk.
Will

veeman

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31046979/holden-why-gm-could-not-save/

Looks like Holden couldn't be saved at all and GM walked away from Australia and New Zealand completely largely because of right hand drive requirement. 

2o6

They pulled out of ALL RHD markets; South Africa, India, UK, Australia.

I feel like GM loves spending money on shit that doesn't matter. Whether or not cutting car-shaped things is a good move remains yet to be seen (I've read dealers aren't happy with the fact they have no cheap model to sell). I just think it's odd that GM isn't considering LHD/RHD in its intial development costs. Why is it so expensive for GM to do LHD/RHD ready vehicles, but not for other manufacturers? I feel like GM is notorious for spending money on some really technically advanced shit, that at the end of the day, doesn't matter to the consumer.

Example: the Solstice and Sky's hydroformed chassis, which made it strong but also expensive to make. I feel like they could have had Almost as good chassis with more traditional and cheaper methods of construction.

MrH

LHD/RHD drive is expensive for everyone.  Tooling isn't cheap, and when the volume is tiny, it's hard to amortize that cost.

They screwed the pooch with the hydroforming process.  Couldn't get the cost down.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Just a thought but would drive by wire with single screen in the center console like Tesla make it easier to do LHD/RHD conversions?

Soup DeVille

I do not believe full drive-by-wire without mechanical backup is legal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

The solution to the "RHD problem" is simple.  :ohyeah:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Oh jeeeeez. My cousin does that too. She backs up and goes forward without turning the wheel, and expects things to have changed.

giant_mtb

That is so frustrating to watch. 😬

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2020, 02:17:17 AM
Oh jeeeeez. My cousin does that too. She backs up and goes forward without turning the wheel, and expects things to have changed.

How does she- function?

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 27, 2020, 04:26:16 AM
How does she- function?

She's kind of an angry person. She drives badly at the same time she complains about how poorly other people drive.

Oh, do you man "how does she leave the parking lot"? Not quickly :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 27, 2020, 04:59:21 AM
She's kind of an angry person. She drives badly at the same time she complains about how poorly other people drive.

Oh, do you man "how does she leave the parking lot"? Not quickly :lol:

I suppose I kind of meant both.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

A good example of someone with zero planning abilities or knowledge of how cars work.

And also they didn't even notice the black car left, just kept shimmy-ing in the same little area.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 27, 2020, 08:07:50 AM
knowledge of how cars work.

Most of BMW's clientele, circa 2020. Did you see the video I shared of the X6M trying to climb my hill with half an inch of snow? They had no idea how inertia or traction worked.

giant_mtb

Yo, my dudes with newer Subarus. I picked up a 2019 Legacy for detailing this morning. Snowy day, roads are covered, but not terrible by any means both condition and visibility-wise.

There was one section where I had the cruise set at 45mph (on a 45mph road) and it suddenly turned it off for no reason. A message on the dashboard screen had the words Eye Sight with a big slash through them, and the "lane departure warning off" and what I assume is "front collision sensing off" lights lit up as well....and it wouldn't let me set the cruise again until like a mile later when I guess it decided it had its Eye Sight back.

Wtf gives?  It really won't let you use cruise control if its precious sensors get covered by a little snow?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2020, 09:12:06 AM
Yo, my dudes with newer Subarus. I picked up a 2019 Legacy for detailing this morning. Snowy day, roads are covered, but not terrible by any means both condition and visibility-wise.

There was one section where I had the cruise set at 45mph (on a 45mph road) and it suddenly turned it off for no reason. A message on the dashboard screen had the words Eye Sight with a big slash through them, and the "lane departure warning off" and what I assume is "front collision sensing off" lights lit up as well....and it wouldn't let me set the cruise again until like a mile later when I guess it decided it had its Eye Sight back.

Wtf gives?  It really won't let you use cruise control if its precious sensors get covered by a little snow?

On the 2019 Durango, if the rear sensors are covered by snow, it won't even let you back up. It slams on the brakes and it literally feels like you hit something.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 27, 2020, 09:22:53 AM
On the 2019 Durango, if the rear sensors are covered by snow, it won't even let you back up. It slams on the brakes and it literally feels like you hit something.

That's disgusting. It's as if nobody tests these things.

Yes, when I went to back it out of the spot it was in, the reverse sensors went wild beeping at me since the rear was covered in snow. They went off after like 5 seconds.

Goddamn I hate modern cars' stupid nanny shit.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
That's disgusting. It's as if nobody tests these things.

Boeing doesn't even fully test the Starliner launch code...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

On closer inspection while washing...it appears that the only sensors on the front are the two dashcam lookin' units mounted up by the rearview mirror on the inside of the windshield.  And both of their vision is kept clear by the windshield wipers (thank god they didn't mess that up).  So I dunno if the blowing snow was messing with it or what. But goddamn.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2020, 10:06:32 AM
On closer inspection while washing...it appears that the only sensors on the front are the two dashcam lookin' units mounted up by the rearview mirror on the inside of the windshield.  And both of their vision is kept clear by the windshield wipers (thank god they didn't mess that up).  So I dunno if the blowing snow was messing with it or what. But goddamn.

Maybe if the snow was obscuring the road too much?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 27, 2020, 11:03:51 AM
Maybe if the snow was obscuring the road too much?

The roads were (are) completely covered hardpack. No pavement, no lines. A Tesla's worst nightmare.