Wimmer's upcoming new ride...

Started by cawimmer430, July 21, 2018, 12:41:43 PM

cawimmer430

I've always told myself I would never part with the 2007 BMW 118i after owning it for so long. My sister spec'd and ordered this car before she suddenly was moved abroad for work - and thus I took over the car from her. It was registered in my name and I became its new owner.

The 118i... a naturally aspirated 2.0 inline-4, 143-horsepower and 190 Nm (torque), 6-Speed Automatic, 50:50 weight balance RWD compact car - second lowest engine option in the E87 range. It's not the fastest, the engine is nothing special and at speeds above 160 km/h it's a little gutless. Nevertheless I held on to it because IT IS JUST SO MUCH GOD DAMN FUN TO DRIVE. In fact I just came back from a 200 km trip in the rain featuring a mix of Autobahn and country roads - the car was fun in all conditions, and in the wet the back likes to slide out if you push it hard! I've grown to like that, a little!  :tounge:

Seriously. Those 1ers were pretty tossable. And fun. They really are. Did I mention they're FUN? I feel quite guilty for wanting a new car when there's nothing wrong with this one! But the BMW is 11-years old and while there is mechanically nothing wrong with it (except for a broken thermostat) I find myself wanting something different. After 220,000 km and a lot of good memories, I am lusting for something different, something edgier in terms of style and of course something from one of my favorite automotive brands.

And so I am taking the plunge! I'm ordering the 2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line:wub:

The new A-Class is a little wider and a little longer than the 1er but has more interior space. It will fit into my small parking spot in Munich while being able to carry my gear. The car I am ordering is the A250 - this is a little rocket, essentially a hot hatch! The interior is roomy and ergonomic. I feel right at home in this car.

Yesterday I had a short drive in an A180d (diesel) with a salesman, and I liked the general feel of the car. Great steering feedback, sporty base suspension, excellent 7-DCT transmission but the standard seats were not that impressive. Overall, a good car. That diesel engine was not bad, a little buzzy and surprisingly the salesman told me that many people are still buying diesels.

The A250 features a Mercedes-Benz (not Nissan-Renault) turbocharged 224-horsepower 2.0-l inline-4 powering the front wheels coupled to Mercedes' excellent 7-DCT Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission. 0-62 mph in 6.2 seconds, and a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically limited). These are not bad specs at all! Can't wait to blast down the Autobahn at 250 km/h! Hell, if I am really insane I'll pay to have the limiter removed!  :lol:

Initially I was considering an A200 with the 163-horsepower 1.33-l Nissan-Renault engine but I figured what the hell, go for the A250 and get more power (which translates into more safety) and roughly the same (if not better) fuel consumption. 4Matic? Nope, don't need that. I am ok with FWD. The good news is that the new A-Class and certainly the A250 has a sophisticated limited slip differential which should improve the driving experience for a FWD car.

The AMG Line package is a must. The regular A-Class just doesn't look as complete as the ones with the AMG Line body kit. The AMG Line car will be lowered by 2cm's and receive a sporty AMG body kit, sportier suspension, AMG sports seats (which I love, so comfortable and so supportive!) and AMG wheels of my choice. Inside the AMG package means a choice of leather or Artico - an Alcantara-like MB-TEX mix. I am going for Artico. If I could have the AMG Line with cloth seats I'd go for that, as I am not a fan of leather. But if it's included and they still give you an option for MB-TEX Artico, then I am going for that...

Regarding features, I'm ordering the Night Package (dark mirrors and headlights), toned side and rear windows (so my photography gear won't be visible from outside), Park Assistent with 360 degree round view, heated seats and heated steering wheel, navigation and that's about it. I am skimping on the MB-UX ("Hi Mercedes, change the temperature...") and most of the infotainment features since I won't need or use that. The absence of some wacky features means the car is within my budget, and I may get a 9% discount because I am purchasing the car through and for my business. I don't want to lease because of the mileage restriction and because I plan on keeping this investment for 10+ years or more. And my metal tripods for my cameras or lights tend to scratch and damage cabin plastics (you should see the scratched plastics in the BMW trunk!) - it's a working and personal vehicle, so I want to buy it and determine what happens with it etc.

I'm also going to trade in the BMW for the Mercedes at the dealer. I was delighted to learn that despite the high mileage and some cosmetic damage on the plastic bumpers, my 2007 118i was just valued at a pretty respectable 6,500 Euros by the Dekra at Mercedes-Benz Munich; I was expecting much less because of some exterior and interior cosmetic damage from my equipment! BMW 1ers apparently hold their value pretty well. The automatic transmission, heated seats and sunroof also probably helped my car keep its value. Not bad for an 11-year old car that cost 25,000 Euros when new. Those 6,500 Euros will be subtracted from the purchasing price of the A250.

I'm still going through the options list and thinking long and hard what I need or want, but the exterior of my new car can be seen below in MB's online configurator! Once I place the order they'll need two months before the car can be delivered.

Model: A250 AMG Line (FWD)

Color: Polar White with Night Package

Wheels: 19" AMG LMR

I hope you like it as much as I do!!! Looking forward to your comments and feedback! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Oh yeah, and I definitely need AMG wheels for my winter wheels! Can't have an AMG body kitted A-Class driving around in the winter with some cheap plastic hubcaps or cheapo wheels!  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Congrats! I didn't know you cared about driving fun.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

shp4man

Nice looking car, Wimmer. The dash is like a '57 Lincoln but with digital components.  :lol: Not a bad thing.  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

UPDATE! Just configured my interior!

AMG sports seats with MB-TEX Artico and Microfiber DINAMICA. DINAMICA is that soft but "rough" material in the middle where the occupants backs will sit. It's not as slippery as leather and should provide some support. Again, if cloth seats were available with the AMG Line I'd go for that. I'm more concerned about the exterior than interior!  :tounge:

I've also skimped on the ambient lighting feature that allows you to pick 64 colors. Seems like a gimmick to me, but at the same time it does make the interior look pretty cool. I just don't need it!

So behold, this is what my interior will look like.  ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 21, 2018, 01:47:21 PM
Congrats! I didn't know you cared about driving fun.

Initially I didn't. But when you're driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for 11 years you kind of learn to appreciate it.  ;)

I will admit I will miss the RWD layout of the 1-Series, the feeling of being pushed rather than pulled, but that A180d was pretty fun and the salesman even encouraged me to hammer it; those diesels are torque monsters and there was no torque steer limited slip differential be blessed, I assume.

The A250 AMG Line (I must always say "Line" now because people will be like, "Hey, there is no A250 AMG! That's a fake/poseuer AMG!"  :lol: ) with the 2cm lowered AMG suspension should drive even better than that standard A180d.

I enjoyed the BMW, it's still a great car and I think the E87 was the last real BMW (naturally aspirated gasoline engines) - it could have some youngtimer potential, especially in 130i guise...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I thought the 1series was your sister's car?

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 21, 2018, 03:21:52 PM
Nice looking car, Wimmer. The dash is like a '57 Lincoln but with digital components.  :lol: Not a bad thing.  :ohyeah:

Hehe, you know how I love old cars!  :wub:

In a perfect world I'd have this A250 AMG Line as my daily driver, a 1972-1979 Mercedes-Benz W116 S-Class (the 450SEL 6.9 body style) as my pimp ride and a 1975-1985 Mercedes-Benz 230TE Wagon as my classic daily driver!  :praise:

And then I'd also have a Citroen SM as my gentleman car.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 21, 2018, 04:15:24 PM
I thought the 1series was your sister's car?

It was. She bought it, barely drove it and I inherited it from her when she moved abroad to work. She didn't need a car in Switzerland because public transportation is excellent. So the ownership changed from her to me. It's now my car. ;)

Plus her boyfriend drives an Audi RS4 Avant and BMW X3, which she gets to drive from time to time. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

Nice looking little buggy.

White?  It's gonna be white?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 21, 2018, 04:20:16 PM
Nice. Enjoy it.

Thank you! Will do.

And I'm gonna miss the BMW. I really will. It provided years of good service and was fun to drive. I'm always emotional when saying goodbye to my previous rides...

1992 Mitsubishi Galant GTI 2.0 DOHC 16V?  :cry:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300SE W126?  :cry:

2007 BMW 118i E87 5-Door?  :cry:

Well, I will be enjoying the next two months of the BMW before trading it in for the A250 AMG Line.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2018, 04:22:10 PM
Nice looking little buggy.

White?  It's gonna be white?

Polar White with Night Package. Night Package means black side mirrors and darker toned windows and darker headlights. It also means dark wheels, which I deemed to aggressive so I replaced them with the 19" AMG LMR wheels!  :praise:

Here's what my car would look like if I didn't change the wheels.

Red was also nice, but I thought it's too fancy and too "Look at me!". White is perfect; elegant and sporty with a touch of class.  ;)

Matte gray is too aggressive. This is an Edition 1 model - that trim costs like 7,000+ Euros. Nah, I don't need that. Subtle AMG Line is perfect.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Oh, and MB offers you the option of having your Mercedes foil wrapped in some exotic colors. At the MB dealer in Munich they had one of these: a Lemon Sting A-Class. Too exotic for my tastes...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

It's an excellent colour combination for it.  I'd keep the black wheels though.  Not only do they compliment the mirrors and the roof panel, they add a touch of elegance. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2018, 04:37:16 PM
It's an excellent colour combination for it.  I'd keep the black wheels though.  Not only do they compliment the mirrors and the roof panel, they add a touch of elegance. 

If I can get them for a discount they might make good winter wheels.  :lol:

I definitely want nicer wheels for winter duty this time. No more cheapo plastic hubcaps or steelies.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 21, 2018, 04:40:32 PM
If I can get them for a discount they might make good winter wheels.  :lol:

I definitely want nicer wheels for winter duty this time. No more cheapo plastic hubcaps or steelies.
Our Discovery came with black chrome wheels, although I wouldn't have ordered it that way.  However, I now think they look much better than any light shiny wheel.  I've seen many more vehicles now with black wheels and most look excellent, depending on the colour.  I think you should give it some thought.  Are you getting the black roof?

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2018, 04:47:43 PM
Our Discovery came with black chrome wheels, although I wouldn't have ordered it that way.  However, I now think they look much better than any light shiny wheel.  I've seen many more vehicles now with black wheels and most look excellent, depending on the colour.  I think you should give it some thought.

The reason I went with the silver AMG wheels is because of their design and because I thought the black wheelies are too aggressive and too "Boy Racerish"...  :tounge:

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 21, 2018, 04:47:43 PMAre you getting the black roof?

The black roof would be the Panoramic Sunroof. I didn't want one because I never use the sunroof in my BMW, and because it takes away a lot of headroom (about an inch and a half...). It's a 1,107 Euro option, but even with this option there's enough headroom for me, but without it there's more!  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 21, 2018, 04:13:34 PM
Initially I didn't. But when you're driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for 11 years you kind of learn to appreciate it.  ;)

I will admit I will miss the RWD layout of the 1-Series, the feeling of being pushed rather than pulled, but that A180d was pretty fun and the salesman even encouraged me to hammer it; those diesels are torque monsters and there was no torque steer limited slip differential be blessed, I assume.

The A250 AMG Line (I must always say "Line" now because people will be like, "Hey, there is no A250 AMG! That's a fake/poseuer AMG!"  :lol: ) with the 2cm lowered AMG suspension should drive even better than that standard A180d.

I enjoyed the BMW, it's still a great car and I think the E87 was the last real BMW (naturally aspirated gasoline engines) - it could have some youngtimer potential, especially in 130i guise...
I think you will forget about the BMW in time. Turbo torque is addictive, especially in something so small.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

That's a sweet car. Crisp lines, good rear end, doesn't look "melted" like the CLA et al. And 36mpg combined with 6.2s 0-60? That's remarkable. Have fun!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on July 21, 2018, 09:56:58 PM
And 36mpg combined with 6.2s 0-60? That's remarkable. Have fun!

Wow, yeah. Outruns most cars built before 2000 and almost doubles the gas mileage.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 21, 2018, 06:31:10 PM
I think you will forget about the BMW in time. Turbo torque is addictive, especially in something so small.

Indeed. Loved the torque surge on that A180d demonstrator. The A250 will be similar. Torque is addicting, and I am sure I will love the turbocharged engine. Finally some torque - something the BMW did kind of lack.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on July 21, 2018, 09:56:58 PM
That's a sweet car. Crisp lines, good rear end, doesn't look "melted" like the CLA et al. And 36mpg combined with 6.2s 0-60? That's remarkable. Have fun!

The performance is indeed sweet. You only live once, so treat yourself!  :praise:

I was also considering a used CLA Shooting Brake, even a used CLA45 AMG Shooting Brake. I kind of like the CLA, but I figured if I am gonna take the plunge I may as well get something new.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

One more thing - I ticked the option SPORTY EXHAUST NOTE. It's free, so I figured, Why the hell not?  :praise:

I'm so turning into a Boy Racer...  :thumbsup:

When the car arrives I'm gonna share some videos of the engine note etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Nice.  Congratulations. 

You've been MIA for a while.  Doing well?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

mzziaz

Congrats, Christian.

How much more expensive was a C-class?
Cuore Sportivo

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on July 21, 2018, 09:33:44 PM
Looks fucking sweet, man.

:hesaid:

Congratulations Chris!  I hope you have a lot of fun in your new set of wheels.  I look forward to seeing the shots you take of the speedo with the needle way over on the right.  I really like the interior too.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!