Today's Shoot: 1969 Mercedes-Benz 220 W115

Started by cawimmer430, October 11, 2018, 02:04:37 PM

cawimmer430

For sale, only 26,130 km (after the shoot). That's 16,331 miles:mask:

Excellent condition, zero rust and very comfortable. The choke was interesting - when the engine was started it needed a different mixture. Carburetors, so old school!  :lol:

Here are some snapshots from after the shoot.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

What is LMKU?  Is that the radio brand name or are those distinctions between radio bands like AM and FM?  And why are there two U buttons. :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 11, 2018, 02:25:09 PM
What is LMKU?  Is that the radio brand name or are those distinctions between radio bands like AM and FM?  And why are there two U buttons. :lol:

I have no idea, to be honest.

My Google searches brought up a potential name for an old radio, the Becker Europa LMKU. But on this one it says Blaupunkt... beyond me. I've tried finding some results for "LMKU" on old radios but I'm not getting a clear answer.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 11, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
I have no idea, to be honest.

My Google searches brought up a potential name for an old radio, the Becker Europa LMKU. But on this one it says Blaupunkt... beyond me. I've tried finding some results for "LMKU" on old radios but I'm not getting a clear answer.

Same. I Googled it as well and found a similar lack of information. Blaupunkt is a brand...didn't know they went that far back. But, yeah, not sure about the LMKU.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 11, 2018, 03:20:17 PM
Same. I Googled it as well and found a similar lack of information. Blaupunkt is a brand...didn't know they went that far back. But, yeah, not sure about the LMKU.
Could it be the equivalent for AM and FM?  Just guessing.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Didn't see the Blaupunkt on initial inspection, either. Was too focused on the LMKU.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 11, 2018, 03:28:04 PM
Could it be the equivalent for AM and FM?  Just guessing.

That's what I was initially thinking. But four different bands?  There are buttons for each. But who knows, I wasn't using radios in Germany in the '60s. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 11, 2018, 03:33:12 PM
That's what I was initially thinking. But four different bands?  There are buttons for each. But who knows, I wasn't using radios in Germany in the '60s. 
Two for AM and 3 for FM.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

L = Long wave (I think those are not used for civilian radio in north America)

M = Medium wave, or what you call AM

K = short wave (Kurzwelle)

U = Ultra short wave, or what you call FM.

Not sure what the second U is vor.

Laconian

Are they all amplitude modulation except U?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on October 11, 2018, 11:23:01 PM
Are they all amplitude modulation except U?

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe that yes, all radio transmissions, except for FM use amplitude modulation, even though only medium wave is marketed as AM.

dazzleman

Beautiful!  Mercedes weren't common cars in the US back then, so I haven't seen too many of them.  I love cars from that era.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

93JC

Seems funny it still had a manual choke. (Most) American cars had automatic one's by then.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on October 12, 2018, 01:10:36 PM
Seems funny it still had a manual choke. (Most) American cars had automatic one's by then.
They may have been automatic, but they weren't particularly clever.  If, for some reason, the engine got flooded, and it happened a lot in cold or wet weather, you could spend a lot of time trying to get the damn thing going.  By flooring the gas pedal, on most cars, it would force the choke plate open so that it wouldn't keep sucking gas in.  Oddly, most people didn't know that.  On a cold or wet morning, up and down the block, you would hear engines grinding over with a sputter and a gasp, over and over again.

93JC

Oh believe me, I'm quite familiar with pumping the accelerator pedal to get a carbed engine to start. :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on October 12, 2018, 05:44:28 AM
Beautiful!  Mercedes weren't common cars in the US back then, so I haven't seen too many of them.  I love cars from that era.

To my knowledge the US only got the 240D and 300D (called 240D 3.0 in Europe) and the 250 and 280 - and no 280E. The majority of the cars you got were probably diesel-powered.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

You should see how an old W115 diesel was started. :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Ay4_nOtGI

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Many times though, I remember wishing for a manual one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2018, 09:15:47 AM
Many times though, I remember wishing for a manual one.

Automatic chokes screwed up most of the time?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

The finished light photos from the shoot.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Very nice. It will be a while before German A/C will catch up with ours, but never the less, a well built car. An inline 6 gasoline engine, if i remember correctly. The diesel ones were incredibly durable. Many were taxis.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on October 15, 2018, 03:28:08 PM
Very nice. It will be a while before German A/C will catch up with ours, but never the less, a well built car. An inline 6 gasoline engine, if i remember correctly. The diesel ones were incredibly durable. Many were taxis.

The 220 is a 4-cylinder. The inline-6s for the sedans were the 230.6, 250, 280 and the rare 280E.

The W114/W115 holds the record for the Mercedes-Benz with the highest recorded mileage: a 1981 240D  Greek taxi with 4.6 million km!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

I do prefer the original pre-facelift models. They look more late 1960ish. Back in the day this was a common sight.  :wub:

Germany's oldest taxi which is still in service is a W115 220D or 240D in Cologne.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 15, 2018, 03:07:40 PM
Automatic chokes screwed up most of the time?

Not always, but in really cold conditions they would take a lot longer to respond, and many times a manual would have just been easier than waiting for the engine to warm up enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator