Faraday Future

Started by Laconian, October 30, 2018, 03:04:20 PM

Laconian

Big things are coming at this company! Let's talk about it here
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

2019 Headline: Faraday Futures introduces blockchain coins?

SJ_GTI

I had to double check the date of the ohpee, I thought these guys went out of business a long time ago.

Laconian

Teuton works for them now!

shp4man

I realize it's an old fogey  :fogey: kind of thing to say, but from reading that company blurb webpage it just looks like total buzzword speak bullshit to me. Starting a factory in this state is setting yourself up for high taxes and an insane regulatory burden. They must have blown a bunch of asses full of sunshine to get any startup money.

But WTF do I know?   :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on October 30, 2018, 03:42:24 PM
Teuton works for them now!

Or did.

Hopefully, this helps him and doesn't hurt him

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 30, 2018, 03:54:22 PM
Or did.

Hopefully, this helps him and doesn't hurt him

Wait, he's gone???

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 30, 2018, 04:14:48 PM
Wait, he's gone???

He left not long after he moved out to California because everyone was giving him shit for "BIG THINGS ARE COMING"

2o6

At the end of the day.....the FF 91 is a fugly car. It looks like a Maglev train car with wheels. Even if it DOES get off the ground, I can't see anyone buying that fuck-ugly thing.

Quote from: NomisR on October 30, 2018, 04:15:52 PM
He left not long after he moved out to California because everyone was giving him shit for "BIG THINGS ARE COMING"

No, from Faraday Future.

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on October 30, 2018, 03:53:44 PM
I realize it's an old fogey  :fogey: kind of thing to say, but from reading that company blurb webpage it just looks like total buzzword speak bullshit to me. Starting a factory in this state is setting yourself up for high taxes and an insane regulatory burden. They must have blown a bunch of asses full of sunshine to get any startup money.

But WTF do I know?   :huh:

That's just common sense, you're totally correct.
Will

MrH

Well, mandatory furloughing can't be helpful.

That company is a disaster.  Good riddance.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Wait, he's gone???

I don't know; but after this I wouldn't assume he's still there.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Wait, he's gone???

You mean from this forum or from this job?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on October 30, 2018, 04:15:52 PM

chapter 11 is a big thing tho
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

I want to make a tech bubble Bingo game. AI! Blockchain! Mobility! Someone has to have done this.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2018, 05:49:36 AM
I want to make a tech bubble Bingo game. AI! Blockchain! Mobility! Someone has to have done this.

Gamify!

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 31, 2018, 05:49:36 AM

Disrupting!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Has anybody spoken to Teuton about all this?  I wonder what his take on all of it is.  I suspect he would explain it all away.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

Teuton works for them? God bless him

Payman

Reminds me of the end of Fun With Dick and Jane...

"Yeah it's a great company! Lots of benefits and growth opportunity".

"What's it called"?

"Enron."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2018, 04:54:52 AM
Has anybody spoken to Teuton about all this?  I wonder what his take on all of it is.  I suspect he would explain it all away.

Must be hard for those people to rationalize/ realize/ contextualize.

Just like the Enron disaster.
Will

MrH

He joined them like a month ago!  The problems were all very really documented and out there.  :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2018, 04:54:52 AM

He works in PR, I don't think any of us would get the inside scoop. He's going to be very invested in putting a happy spin on things.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on November 01, 2018, 04:39:10 PM
He works in PR, I don't think any of us would get the inside scoop. He's going to be very invested in putting a happy spin on things.

I'm sure that's true.  I wonder what he really thinks.  It's hard to imagine he would have joined them just a month ago if he didn't believe in them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Laconian

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18049632/faraday-future-founding-executive-resignation-employee-emergency-fund

Faraday Future's last founding executive resigns, plans emergency fund for employees

Dag Reckhorn, Faraday Future's senior vice president of global manufacturing — and the last of the company's five "founding executives" — resigned Wednesday, according to an internal email obtained by The Verge. The news comes after investor trouble sparked two wild weeks of layoffs and salary cuts that quickly turned into furloughs and executive departures at the EV startup, and a co-founder calling the company "effectively insolvent." Reckhorn said in his email to staff that he is working to establish an emergency fund for employees affected by the furlough.

"I am heartbroken to have to let you know, that I will leave FF effective today," Reckhorn wrote in the email, which was sent to the company's remaining staff. "There are legalities that force me to do so. Please do not believe that I am ditching the best team I ever worked with."

Faraday Future spokesperson John Schilling confirmed Reckhorn's resignation. "We thank him for his service to FF and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors," he said.

Reckhorn mentioned in the email that he is "think[ing] about opening an emergency fund" for employees in "dire needs" as a result of the furlough, and that he's putting in $10,000 to start. "Other colleagues are free to join and donate as well," he wrote. The hope is to "help [employees] as best as the available funds allow." Before the layoffs and furloughs, Faraday Future still had around 1,000 employees in the US.

Following a now-prolonged fight with its main investor, China's Evergrande Real Estate Group, Faraday Future announced the furloughs (or forced unpaid leave) to employees on Tuesday. All workers who joined the company after May 1st of 2018 were automatically furloughed, while full-time employees who have been with Faraday Future since before that date were given the opportunity to stay on board at a reduced salary rate of $50,000 per year. Hourly employees who joined Faraday Future before May 1st were given the opportunity to stay on at $13.25 per hour.

Employees who had a choice had to decide by noon Wednesday. Those who were furloughed were told to "leave all FF company equipment (computer, phone, iPad, and any other FF property) at their FF workstations by close of business on October 31, 2018," according to a letter obtained by The Verge.

It's unclear if the proposed emergency funds will be made available to workers who were laid off last week. Reckhorn did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

The "legalities" Reckhorn mentioned in his email have to do with what's known as "directors and officers insurance (or D&O insurance)," according to two former employees, who were granted anonymity because they signed nondisclosure agreements. D&O is a type of liability insurance that protects a company's directors and operators from legal retribution in the event of a lawsuit. Faraday Future's D&O insurance recently lapsed, which made executives like Reckhorn vulnerable amid the recent layoffs and furloughs, these people say.

In fact, Reckhorn was not alone in resigning on Wednesday. Catherine Steinmetz, who joined in 2015 from Tesla and most recently served as the director of environmental, health, and safety, sent an email announcing her resignation shortly after Reckhorn's. A number of other remaining directors plan to leave Wednesday as well for the same reason, according to the two former employees and one worker who is still inside the company.

Reckhorn joined Faraday Future in late 2014, and previously spent more than three years as a director at Tesla, where he oversaw manufacturing of the Model S. He was also the final remaining "founding executive" at the company. After the company was formed in 2014, CEO Jia Yueting tasked five executives — Nick Sampson, Alan Cherry, Tom Wessner, Richard Kim, and Dag Reckhorn — with getting things rolling.

Cherry and Wessner resigned last August and October, respectively, as the company descended into eventual turmoil at the end of 2017. Kim resigned a few months later. Sampson — a co-founder — quit this week. Cherry, Wessner, and Sampson were also veterans of Tesla. With co-founder Tony Nie stepping away earlier this year, Jia is now the only co-founder remaining at the company.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2018, 07:58:57 PM
I'm sure that's true.  imwonder what he really thinks.  It's hard to imagine he would have joined them just a month ago if he didn't believe in them.

Jacob's retweets of Faraday Future staff posts are getting deleted, probably as those folks leave the company and destroy their Twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/TheJacobBrown/status/1052996789840662528

12,000 RPM

Sidebar, I really enjoy the Verge's tech podcast and recommend it to anyone even tangentially interested in phones and shit.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on November 01, 2018, 11:13:17 PM
Jacob's retweets of Faraday Future staff posts are getting deleted, probably as those folks leave the company and destroy their Twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/TheJacobBrown/status/1052996789840662528

God, I hate the word "startups."