El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

CaminoRacer

New radiator was installed a while ago. Seems to keep the car nice and cool. With the 4 speed and old radiator, the water temp would get up to 200 while cruising on the freeway at 70-75 mph on a hot summer day. I haven't done a whole lot of testing, but larger radiator + lower RPM seems to help the temps a lot.

I got the speedometer working last week with the help of a Forte's Parts adapter that has an internal seal like OEM GM speedometer cable adapters. No leaks!

I just got a new Pypes exhaust kit delivered today, with their Race Pro mufflers. Straight through design like a Magnaflow. I'll work on getting that installed over the next couple of weeks. I bought a bunch of band clamps to install it all and make it easier to remove in the future if I need to get the transmission out or something. I bought a true dual kit because crossovers are a PITA to install/uninstall/work around.

I am going to install the new rear trailing arms soon too. Just need to get new bushings and a bushing install tool that I ordered earlier today. Hopefully the stock bolts aren't too rusted on. A lot of times they'll rust onto the bushing sleeve.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Basically I'm finally finishing up the odds and ends of the transmission swap.

I thought I was going to have to replace the pinion seal on the rear end but it might have just been leaking due to sitting for too long. After driving the car a few times I haven't noticed any new drops on the ground. But I should also check the make sure there is still oil left in there :lol:

CaminoRacer

Eye of the Tiger

Are them ur rear trailin arms?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Upper rear trailing arms, yes. Should allow me to adjust the pinion angle which I kinda need to do with the new transmission. (total driveline angle isn't too bad but not ideal)

I don't have new lower trailing arms, maybe I'll get around to that at a later date.

CaminoRacer

New bushings were easier than I expected, thanks to the tool. (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-32101)
Just can't use an impact gun on the nut or it will warp the threads of the bolt. A ratcheting box end wrench is a much better tool for the job.

I also installed a new pinion seal to stop my driveshaft from slinging gear oil all over the place. The old one came out pretty easily and I tapped the new one in with that bushing tool. It was the perfect width, since the pinion seals are like 2.75" diameter and my largest socket is only 1-3/4". Multi-purpose tool!

Eye of the Tiger

I specialize in using impact guns on tools that say not to use impact guns. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 29, 2022, 05:56:17 PM
I specialize in using impact guns on tools that say not to use impact guns. :lol:

I had to run to the hardware store and get a new 8-9" bolt because of that

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 29, 2022, 07:10:57 PM
I had to run to the hardware store and get a new 8-9" bolt because of that

Sorry :lol:

CaminoRacer

New AFR gauge installed.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Other than getting a bung in the exhaust and finding out where to tuck the 3 feet of excess wiring harness, it was much easier to install than I thought it would be.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

It's only on one side, so at idle it's only reading 4/8 cylinders. It smooths out a bit with more RPM

Eye of the Tiger

Yeah, but why is the redline on the tach only at 6000? It should be more like 8000. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I think I set the ignition cutoff at 6500 rpm.

It can definitely do 8000. Once

CaminoRacer

One side of the exhaust fell off yesterday. I was using flat band clamps for the tailpipe hangers because they look better. But since the hanger is apparently able to slip off, I switched to the cheaper style exhaust clamp. Shouldn't fall off again.

I found out that my carb (Edelbrock 1916, "offroad" version of the 1906) has different stock jetting than the usual 1906. So I'm missing the .101" stock jet size in my tuning kit. I'll have to order some. The 1916 is jetted a bit richer than the 1906. I swapped metering rods to lean out the cruise a bit, but I can't do much more than that until I have the full set of jets at my disposal.

CaminoRacer

Utah finally has black plates available. (black background, white text)

Should I get a custom plate? "THE WAY" and "THEROAD" is taken. "THEPATH" is available but I wish it had a space ("THE PATH").

"SM0G" is available. So is "VISIT" ("Visit Utah" :lol:) and "LEAVE"

CaminoRacer

T3H WAY
TEH WAY
EL PLAN

all available

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

CaminoRacer

New plate came a week or two ago. Looks way better than the dumb historic plate with a Model T looking thing on it.

You cannot view this attachment. 

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer