My new car: 2021 Audi SQ5 Prestige.

Started by GoCougs, May 06, 2021, 06:54:14 AM

GoCougs

12,000 mile Update: 

Oil usage has been almost imperceptible which is surprising with 0W-20 and 10,000 mile OCIs.

Average MPG is, I kid you not, virtually identical to the G at ~21.5 mpg. I will note if I take it easy I get higher than the G (28 vs. 25) but if I get on it hard it sucks WAY more gas, expected of course with a turbo motor.

Had to chase down a couple of rattles but I defeated them. The interior is loosening up a bit overall though.

Sometimes when getting on it acceleration seems flat. Expected on a hot day of course, but it's happened at normal temps too. Could be gas. I dunno. But that's what you get with turbos if you don't want a blown motor.

Major ergo and driving issues remain as noted in the first post. APR tune addresses pretty much all of them, but it also turns up the boost for a bit more power, so it voids the power train warranty. Not there yet, but I'm getting there.

Sorta regret not going with the RS6. Had it not been like gold-plated hens teeth when I bought this ($25k markup on average, all presold) I may have done that. Even now, with lightly used examples now for sale,  ~$140k is the floor. Still a bridge too far.

r0tor

More boost solves everything

Get a JB4 piggyback and just take it off for dealer trips
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on October 09, 2021, 01:32:14 PM
More boost solves everything

Get a JB4 piggyback and just take it off for dealer trips

I'm not so interested in performance. It's quick enough for what it is, and when it feels like it starts to under perform a bit, it's not until speeds that are extremely rare for me.

Beyond a boost/power bump the APR tune fixes these (major IMO) problems:

Weak throttle response (almost dangerously bad in Dynamic mode)
Starting in 2nd gear in Dynamic mode
Not shifting into 8th gear in Sport mode unless using cruise control
Auto start/stop
3,500 rpm stand still rev limiter

There are ECU tuners (i.e., hook up some chintzy controller or USB bluetooth dongle to a smartphone app) that addresses a lot of these things too without touching boost, but reports are they're all fairly hokey. APR actually modifies the ECU hardware (you have to send it in to them).

GoCougs

Have been researching tunes (mostly to address the myriad drivability and configuration complaints I have).

It's now to the point that dealers are refusing to work on cars that have a tune. For example, there have been multiple reports of dealers refusing a TSB update to the ECU and/or TCU after detecting a tune, under the apparent auspices that the update in combination with the tune could be harmful, and force a warranty issue that would not be covered anyway. Not good in denying to perform any work on it whatsoever. Don't blame the dealer really.

r0tor

VW/Audi dealer tools check the flash counter of the ECU, so any OBD2 flash tuner will set off alarms to them and flag your car. 

The way around that is "bench flashing" which modifies the parameters on the current flash... But needs to have the ECU sent to the tuner.  An alternative is to purchase a new ECU and have the tuner clone the original and send you a new modified ECU to swap in.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

So despite the fact I am NOT a fan of tunes, esp. for turbo motors, I've decided to go with the APR Stage 1 tune for 91 octane, plus the APR intercooler and warranty (that covers/displaces the original factory power train warranty should drama arise). Power is nice but I need the driveability issues fixed pronto.

Lots of tuners out there, but APR is one of the biggest, if not the biggest for Audi, plus they have a well-reviewed tuner dealer near me (https://www.achtuning.com/). Also, they've since updated their process whereby the tuner dealer can perform the ECU tune down load - no more sending ECUs to an fro.

As to the tune itself, in addition to the driveability improvements noted above, the tune + intercooler boosts power by ~100 hp (net at crank), thereby dropping 0-60 and 1/4 times by 0.6-0.7 seconds - so 0-60 in ~4s (~1 car length) and 1/4 mile in ~12.7s (~ 7 car lengths) - a right proper quick vehicle finally befitting of the price tag. Another metric that tuners are gloming onto; roll acceleration 60-120 mph; drops by ~3s (~9 car lengths!)

The deciding factor is that TONS of research I cannot uncover one claim of damage from an APR tune, let alone either a dealer or APR warranty denial. Even the drama I mentioned above about dealers not working on tuned cars for issues unrelated to the power train, was only a couple of posts, and there are 1000x more posts stating dealers never mention it.

There are only two caveats I was able to uncover. First is one absolutely cannot use lower octane fuel - 91 is 91. If you do, the car's driveability will be affected and the risk of damage is high and the APR warranty will be void (duh - and why the factory didn't tune it this way). Second is to keep the APR warranty oil changes have to be every 5,000 miles, not 10,000 miles. So I'm going for it.

Got to program a few more robots and then I'll get 'er done. Stay "tuned!"

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 10, 2022, 04:31:54 AM
Intake/exhaust/blow off valve?

Nope. According to APR, the factory turbo is a limitation, so any mods beyond a stage 1 tune and intercooloer yield very small gains and gets expensive (and actually void the APR warranty).

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on January 09, 2022, 11:34:17 PM
So despite the fact I am NOT a fan of tunes, esp. for turbo motors, I've decided to go with the APR Stage 1 tune for 91 octane, plus the APR intercooler and warranty (that covers/displaces the original factory power train warranty should drama arise). Power is nice but I need the driveability issues fixed pronto.

Lots of tuners out there, but APR is one of the biggest, if not the biggest for Audi, plus they have a well-reviewed tuner dealer near me (https://www.achtuning.com/). Also, they've since updated their process whereby the tuner dealer can perform the ECU tune down load - no more sending ECUs to an fro.

As to the tune itself, in addition to the driveability improvements noted above, the tune + intercooler boosts power by ~100 hp (net at crank), thereby dropping 0-60 and 1/4 times by 0.6-0.7 seconds - so 0-60 in ~4s (~1 car length) and 1/4 mile in ~12.7s (~ 7 car lengths) - a right proper quick vehicle finally befitting of the price tag. Another metric that tuners are gloming onto; roll acceleration 60-120 mph; drops by ~3s (~9 car lengths!)

The deciding factor is that TONS of research I cannot uncover one claim of damage from an APR tune, let alone either a dealer or APR warranty denial. Even the drama I mentioned above about dealers not working on tuned cars for issues unrelated to the power train, was only a couple of posts, and there are 1000x more posts stating dealers never mention it.

There are only two caveats I was able to uncover. First is one absolutely cannot use lower octane fuel - 91 is 91. If you do, the car's driveability will be affected and the risk of damage is high and the APR warranty will be void (duh - and why the factory didn't tune it this way). Second is to keep the APR warranty oil changes have to be every 5,000 miles, not 10,000 miles. So I'm going for it.

Got to program a few more robots and then I'll get 'er done. Stay "tuned!"

:orly:

I'm not big on tunes either, but APR is probably one of the most trusted of all of them.

Do you only get 91 octane in Washington?  I thought that was pretty much only California?  93 octane is available every where in Ohio.  Maybe I'm spoiled.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

We only have 92 octane here in WA, and 91 minimum is available in all states (I'm doing ever more road trips these days). Plus, the 93 octane tune is worth only 10 hp and is not available with the APR warranty.

Eye of the Tiger

Submariner

RomanChariot

Quote from: GoCougs on January 10, 2022, 10:05:30 AM
We only have 92 octane here in WA, and 91 minimum is available in all states (I'm doing ever more road trips these days). Plus, the 93 octane tune is worth only 10 hp and is not available with the APR warranty.

Actual 91 octane is pretty rare in Utah but with the altitude here 89 octane is equivalent to 91 octane at sea level. Regular unleaded here is 85 octane.

GoCougs

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 10, 2022, 03:39:48 PM
Actual 91 octane is pretty rare in Utah but with the altitude here 89 octane is equivalent to 91 octane at sea level. Regular unleaded here is 85 octane.

I asked APR about that - driving to Vegas next month (I'll pass through northern Nevada at ~7,000' elevation) and am planning on Moab in June.

To APR, 91 is 91, and altitude is not a factor. Not sure if it's APR or turbo cars, but the warranty caveat still applies.

RomanChariot

A turbo engine probably needs to keep the same octane level since the turbo compensates for the thinner air at high altitudes.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 10, 2022, 03:39:48 PM

I thought pretty much all stations have 91 as premium? I need to check that... I was planning on tuning the Miata and it will probably require 91 even with the altitude.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 10, 2022, 07:03:25 PM
I thought pretty much all stations have 91 as premium? I need to check that... I was planning on tuning the Miata and it will probably require 91 even with the altitude.

I haven't paid that much attention lately but it used to be that most carried 85, 87 and 89. With more turbo-charged cars on the road they may have changed that.

veeman

Maybe buy some octane booster to keep in the trunk of the car prior to driving through Utah  :huh:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 11, 2022, 08:38:32 AM
I haven't paid that much attention lately but it used to be that most carried 85, 87 and 89. With more turbo-charged cars on the road they may have changed that.

Might also be a difference between Chevron and non-Chevron. I'll have to check the Speedway, Smiths, and Chevron that are the 3 main stations I'll go to.

GoCougs

AFAIK, all states have at least 91 readily available. A quick perusal of my spring designation (Moab) shoes 85/87/91 available. I'll be fine with the 91 tune.

APR says octane booster is a no-go.

GoCougs

Sigh - went to the local tuner (pretty cool - they're just completing an RS3-powered VW Jetta Alltrack, and they had 911s and RS products galore on the property, so they're legit legit) and per an ECU check APR does not yet have the tune for my ECU lot code. I called APR and they said they have lots of requests for that lot code but it'll take some time as they'll need to buy an SQ5 to do the work or some shit. Jesus.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2022, 11:37:41 AM
AFAIK, all states have at least 91 readily available. A quick perusal of my spring designation (Moab) shoes 85/87/91 available. I'll be fine with the 91 tune.

APR says octane booster is a no-go.

I checked 2 local Utah stations and they had 85, 88, and 91.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 21, 2022, 09:31:44 AM
I checked 2 local Utah stations and they had 85, 88, and 91.

When you're running a turbocharged big block with 12:1 compression, 91 just won't cut it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 21, 2022, 09:33:05 AM
When you're running a turbocharged big block with 12:1 compression, 91 just won't cut it.

I have no turbos and no big block. :(

I have a small block with 11.5/12:1 and a tiny 2.0L with 13:1

GoCougs

Got a dragy. Works pretty good. Best possible conditions really. AFAIK, dragy does not correct for atmo conditions.

This is a bit faster than the mags were getting. Fairly quick but doesn't really feel as fast as the stats show, esp. from a roll.

Still waiting on the tune, which should cut ~0.3 s from 0-60 and ~0.5 s from 1/4 mile and add 4-5 mph to trap speed.