BMW M5 CS And Porsche 911 Turbo Shun Electrification But They’re Still Fast

Started by cawimmer430, September 13, 2021, 09:50:47 AM

cawimmer430

BMW M5 CS And Porsche 911 Turbo Shun Electrification But They're Still Blazing Fast

The BMW M5 CS and Porsche 911 Turbo may not be direct rivals but they are two of the quickest-accelerating production cars on the planet and Throttle House thought it would be fun to see which of the two is the fastest.

First, the figures. Driving the M5 CS is a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V8 with 627 hp and 553 lb-ft (750 Nm) of torque. Meanwhile, the 911 Turbo is powered by a 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged flat-six with an equally impressive 572 hp and 553 lb-ft. Both are all-wheel drive, have no electrification whatsoever, and come with phenomenal launch control systems.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAygU-6OD8

During the first drag race, the driver of the M5 CS gets the slightly better reaction and edges ahead of the 911 Turbo but as the race progresses, the Porsche accelerates off into the distance and takes the win.

The second race was interesting as neither driver used the cars launch control systems, significantly impairing their ability to get off the line at the same kind of blistering speeds that they can with them enabled. Nevertheless, the Porsche also came out on top during this race.

Last but not least was a rolling race. We won't spoil the result of this one but like the first two races, it was close, and does suggest that BMW might have underrated its horsepower and torque claims for the M5 CS.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/bmw-m5-cs-and-porsche-911-turbo-shun-electrification-but-theyre-still-bloody-fast/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

I've launched that gen M5 (non cs though) as well as a Taycan Turbo S.  The M5 feels like superman and just goes.  The EV Taycan Turbo S feels like you got rear ended by a train at launch - just a violent violent experience
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on September 13, 2021, 09:57:38 AM
I've launched that gen M5 (non cs though) as well as a Taycan Turbo S.  The M5 feels like superman and just goes.  The EV Taycan Turbo S feels like you got rear ended by a train at launch - just a violent violent experience

haha awesome. I can't imagine- I remember flooring it in 1st or 2nd in the SHO and passengers being like "whoa".

Since then highest HP I've driven was a Q7 but wife was always in the car and didn't approve of any power tests (her sisters' car). I think it was the little motor because it wasn't ultra fast. 
Will