New Mazda6 Might Finally Launch In 2022 With RWD And Inline-Six Engines

Started by cawimmer430, October 09, 2021, 01:57:11 AM

cawimmer430

New Mazda6 Might Finally Launch In 2022 With RWD And Inline-Six Engines

Mazda has been working on the next-generation 6 for some time now and according to new information out of Japan, is almost ready to unveil the car.

A new report from Spyder7 claims that the new Mazda6 will be unveiled during the first half of 2022. If that proves to be the case then the car will probably reach the hands of customers before the end of next year or in early 2023.

We know that the new Mazda6 will feature a rear-wheel drive platform that it will share with at least one forthcoming crossover from the automaker. These new underpinnings will replace the front-wheel drive platform of the outgoing car. As if that wasn't enough to whet the appetite, Mazda will also launch the new model with 3.0-liter inline-six petrol and diesel engines with mild hybrid technology.

Mazda has been working on its new inline-six since at least early 2019 and will also offer its new sedan in plug-in hybrid form.

A dramatic new exterior look will also make the next-gen Mazda6 stand out. The car will take design inspiration from the Vision Coupe Concept unveiled a few years ago and, therefore, share a close resemblance to the current Mazda3, which itself was previewed with the Mazda Kai Concept. With this in mind, we expect to see a sharp new nose with unique headlights, flowing lights, and a shapely rear-end.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/new-mazda6-could-finally-launch-in-2022-with-rear-wheel-drive-and-inline-six/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

I'm still not willing to believe this will happen... Just too good to be true
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Imagine if the finished product looked just like the renders...

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

shp4man

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on October 09, 2021, 07:43:52 AM
I'm still not willing to believe this will happen... Just too good to be true

I'm just wondering what the point of this will be? AFAIK Mazda already has a hard time selling their cars to mainstream consumers because they're considered "too sporty", "too good-looking" etc. RWD + Inline-6 will only really speak to a small segment of the car-buying public.

The Stinger for Kia was great at getting attention, but in terms of sales it wasn't very successful.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 10, 2021, 07:23:04 AM
I'm just wondering what the point of this will be? AFAIK Mazda already has a hard time selling their cars to mainstream consumers because they're considered "too sporty", "too good-looking" etc. RWD + Inline-6 will only really speak to a small segment of the car-buying public.

The Stinger for Kia was great at getting attention, but in terms of sales it wasn't very successful.

The Stinger failed in no small part to the fact that Kia dealers and salespeople were used to selling cheap cars to people with lousy credit, and that the dealers decided to be genuine jackoffs to would-be Stinger buyers.
Its part of the reason Hyundai and now Genesis are separate entities.

Mazda should embrace the section of the market that few others are putting any real effort into; affordable sporty cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Based on my experience buying the CX-5 which, judging by what I've seen on r/CX5 & the CX5 FB group, is not atypical, Mazda makes lovely cars but has chosen to sell them via a dealer network comprised of knuckle-draggers and wankers.

I wonder if they could put the I-6 into a big brother to the MX-5.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2021, 10:38:34 AM
The Stinger failed in no small part to the fact that Kia dealers and salespeople were used to selling cheap cars to people with lousy credit, and that the dealers decided to be genuine jackoffs to would-be Stinger buyers.

Mazda should embrace the section of the market that few others are putting any real effort into; affordable sporty cars.

In Europe the Kia Stinger failed because it was... a Kia. People who want a well-made but cheap car go for Kias here. A Stinger is totally out of place in their lineup.

I'm not against a RWD Mazda 6 with an inline-6, I think it's a cool idea and a means to differentiate it from the FWD and V6 competition, but I question its success on the market.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2021, 10:38:34 AM

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 11, 2021, 10:33:29 AM
Based on my experience buying the CX-5 which, judging by what I've seen on r/CX5 & the CX5 FB group, is not atypical, Mazda makes lovely cars but has chosen to sell them via a dealer network comprised of knuckle-draggers and wankers.

I wonder if they could put the I-6 into a big brother to the MX-5.

Yeah, Mazda dealerships aren't the greatest. Better than Kia but not as good as they should be.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

If they go forward with this I suspect it will mostly flop. This sounds like it would have been a great idea ~20 years ago, but the market appears to be going in a very different direction: SUV's and electric powertrains.

Personally I doubt I will be interested as it will likely be a bigger car than I would want anyway.

FoMoJo

What's the big deal?

This could be any Chevy between 1929 and 1988.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 12, 2021, 07:15:57 AM
What's the big deal?

This could be any Chevy between 1929 and 1988.

Except that it will have good handling.

FoMoJo

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 12, 2021, 08:14:04 AM
Except that it will have good handling.
That was half the fun. 

I do appreciate all the safety and handling benefits of modern cars, but for a sporty car, a four door sedan with rear wheel drive doesn't seem like anything to get excited about, even with an inline 6.  Sounds about like my father's '55 Chevy.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 12, 2021, 06:12:49 AM
If they go forward with this I suspect it will mostly flop. This sounds like it would have been a great idea ~20 years ago, but the market appears to be going in a very different direction: SUV's and electric powertrains.

Personally I doubt I will be interested as it will likely be a bigger car than I would want anyway.

Sigh. It is certainly a contrarian product in so many ways. I don't think this Hail Mary to the enthusiasts is going to work.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 12, 2021, 06:12:49 AM

Sadly yes. I'd be interested in one, but the better enthusiast option would be to keep my Miata and pick up a cheap used Civic as a daily.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Laconian

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on October 13, 2021, 10:49:15 AM
Not at Audi anymore?

If you are refering to my post, I was just joking about someone [formerly] known as "the Teuton" working at a German car company.

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 13, 2021, 11:23:17 AM
If you are refering to my post, I was just joking about someone [formerly] known as "the Teuton" working at a German car company.

Oh right. Yes, it was a clever act of foreshadowing.

MrH

I think it's important to remember the real reason for this platform is for new crossovers.  If we get a Mazda6 out of it too, I'm all for it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Mazda needs to brand themselves better- as a sporty Toyota/Honda rival

and/or a cheaper BMW rival.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 12, 2021, 11:06:44 AM
Sigh. It is certainly a contrarian product in so many ways. I don't think this Hail Mary to the enthusiasts is going to work.

Unless they team up with someone else, Mazda's one of the incumbents I don't see surviving very long into the EV era.
Unfortunate - because I love my CX-5, and everybody loves their MX-5s.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

r0tor

Well not only did the CEO kill the 6 sedan, he also killed the thought of ever bringing bach Mazdaspeed.  So apparently they are going rwd to be sporty, but only doing it in SUVs  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian