Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on August 09, 2022, 06:15:01 AM
They cannot keep up with orders. This was a brilliant move by Ford. They really just hit the market with the right product at the right time.

The Maverick is a bonafide hit. A big one for Ford. The only question is can they keep the quality decent enough to keep up with demand. The only thing that will likely kill the momentum of the Maverick is traditional Ford fuckery.

The market for a small, efficient truck has been vacant in America for far too long.  Is it a "true" truck?  No, but it seats four people comfortably enough and has a bed to put shit in...that's 99% of what people want/need from a truck.

I find it sort of odd that you can't get AWD with the hybrid setup.  I'm sure there's a mechanical reason for it, but turns away many northern buyers who really want that 40mpg city mileage.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 09, 2022, 10:00:55 AM
The market for a small, efficient truck has been vacant in America for far too long.  Is it a "true" truck?  No, but it seats four people comfortably enough and has a bed to put shit in...that's 99% of what people want/need from a truck.

I find it sort of odd that you can't get AWD with the hybrid setup.  I'm sure there's a mechanical reason for it, but turns away many northern buyers who really want that 40mpg city mileage.

AWD is overrated. Just weld the front diff. :thumbsup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

So we cancelled our order in June. Wife got an email with VIN that it's scheduled to build Aug 29th. Add in a few weeks for QC and shipment from Mexico...

We still would love it, but dealer probably plans to upsell it for $5-10k. We will probably go visit them tomorrow but we literally have no bargaining power. They have an email from us saying we cancelled the order because we were tired of waiting...

I'd offer the 2015 Civic, with 2 new tires and battery and key fob we bought as trade-in, but I think we'll still get screwed for the truck...
Will

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 12, 2022, 02:20:23 PM
So we cancelled our order in June. Wife got an email with VIN that it's scheduled to build Aug 29th. Add in a few weeks for QC and shipment from Mexico...

We still would love it, but dealer probably plans to upsell it for $5-10k. We will probably go visit them tomorrow but we literally have no bargaining power. They have an email from us saying we cancelled the order because we were tired of waiting...

I'd offer the 2015 Civic, with 2 new tires and battery and key fob we bought as trade-in, but I think we'll still get screwed for the truck...

Happy wife equals happy life.   :lol: 

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 12, 2022, 02:20:23 PM

You didn't get them to confirm no markup prior to ordering?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on August 13, 2022, 09:42:09 AM
You didn't get them to confirm no markup prior to ordering?

It's a dealers market. We verbally agreed MSRP the first time.

Just got back, they have our $500 deposit again and we'll talk details Monday, they were stupid busy.

Oh and we'll probably keep Civic and sell or trade Odyssey.
Will

CALL_911

They told you they were too busy to talk the details? What kind of two bit operation is this....?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 13, 2022, 11:38:11 AM
They told you they were too busy to talk the details? What kind of two bit operation is this....?

Looks like they were missing a few salesmen. One came in and said someone wanted to look at an Explorer, but he also had someone he was helping. The manager asked if he could go do something something else before talking to their customer.

They have what I assume is the finance manager/ other managers in a separate office at the front with windows facing outside and a raised floor so they can see inside too. A couple customers opened the door and walked in, they tried to shoo them out quickly.

I'm sure they want to run the numbers and figure out how much they can fleece us for. I don't have my hopes up- we'll walk if they ask for too much. These trucks are going for $1-10k over MSRP. Our only leverage is Ford wants a certain percentage (80%?) of orders to go to the customer who ordered it. Supposedly Ford will crack down on dealers who are throwing extra money on and/or selling to non-order-customers, but they haven't enforced that well enough for dealers to not be shady.

The XL NEW starts at $20k, the XLT starts at like $23k. Add $2k for ecoboost, and another $2k for AWD. Our hybrid LARIAT build with most of the goodies except sunroof and $500paint MSRP is $32k=

https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=ford+maverick
Will

giant_mtb

$2k for ecoboost? Wtf?

Eye of the Tiger

I'd be down for an XLT Hybrid
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 14, 2022, 09:09:29 AM
$2k for ecoboost? Wtf?

Base engine is hybrid 2.5L NA. Only tows 2k lbs and no AWD option.

Ford figured most would get the 2.0L 4k towing turbo. But those were available while the hybrid demand has been bonkers.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Well they printed off our purchase agreement, it has wife's and their manager's signature on the $32,275-
We got Lariat with "luxury pack" and "Co-pilot 360", the most self-driving stuff Ford has now. We actually asked them a few months ago to take that off to try to hurry the order, we'll see how it gets built. That would drop it down to $27k something without.

Sales guy said his brother called him and asked how to get a Maverick- he told him, "pray"....   and laughed.
Will

giant_mtb

Wait. So are you getting it or no?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 16, 2022, 04:31:01 PM
Wait. So are you getting it or no?

I hope so. If they try to spring a bunch of extra fees on us, we'll walk away. It's scheduled to be built Aug29, salesguy thinks it would be here by 6weeks later.
Will

MrH

They told you there'd be a massive market, you backed out, and now you walked back in and gave them a $500 deposit again without any confirmation of what the sales price would be?

:wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on September 04, 2022, 12:59:21 PM
They told you there'd be a massive market, you backed out, and now you walked back in and gave them a $500 deposit again without any confirmation of what the sales price would be?

:wtf:

They never told me a massive market. I just assume it "may" be up-priced on their part. The paperwork they gave us (and re-gave us) says MSRP. I'm just hoping they don't try to stiff us for more- if they do, we'll walk.  We literally have no leverage to keep the cost at the agreed price- they know they can sell it for way more if we walk. Deposit is refundable.
Will

AutobahnSHO

OH so our Mav was supposed to enter production Aug29th. We got an email Sep13th that it's pushed to Sep26th....

The order banks are supposedly open today for the 2023 models. They will likely only be taking orders for a few months, depending on demand.....
Will

giant_mtb

Wtfffff man. When I went to the dealership and got the Taco, she showed me a list of incoming units, I picked one, put down a deposit, she told me the build date, and a month after build it showed up.

Did you custom-order it or just pick it off the list of the list of their allotted incoming units?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2022, 06:59:59 PM
Wtfffff man. When I went to the dealership and got the Taco, she showed me a list of incoming units, I picked one, put down a deposit, she told me the build date, and a month after build it showed up.

Did you custom-order it or just pick it off the list of the list of their allotted incoming units?

They were ALL spoken for- the very few that end up at the dealerships without a buyer (changed mind for whatever reason) are snatched up quick. They literally stopped taking orders for 2022 in December 2021.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 15, 2022, 08:46:50 PM
They were ALL spoken for- the very few that end up at the dealerships without a buyer (changed mind for whatever reason) are snatched up quick. They literally stopped taking orders for 2022 in December 2021.

So did you put a deposit down so that your unit is spoken-for? I'm confused. A deposit implies that yours is spoken for.

MrH

I have zero idea how Will interacts with this dealer :lol:

No agreed upon pricing, nothing seems certain, etc.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SJ_GTI

I saw a Maverick out on the road for the first time recently. Its a good looking truck. I liked how small it was as well. I am not really a truck person but if I wanted one as a daily driver this would be it.

I see quite a few of the Hyundai truck things so I assume they are more available (at least in this area).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2022, 08:13:39 AM

Sounds like most Maverick orders to me.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2022, 08:13:39 AM

Makes my local 'Yota dealership seem like a dream despite the horror story gossip.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 16, 2022, 09:53:24 AM
Makes my local 'Yota dealership seem like a dream despite the horror story gossip.

Tacos have good demand but Ford's recent launches have been crazy. Maverick, Lightning, and Bronco demand is through the roof and their pre-orders are filled very quickly. Tacos aren't brand new so the demand has been more leveled off

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 16, 2022, 09:16:02 AM
Sounds like most Maverick orders to me.

This is how it was for our Bronco too lol. It was the most disorganized purchase experience. $100 initial reservation deposit + $ deposit to convert to an official order, that was it. No discussions on out the door price aside from a verbal agreement on "MSRP no markups". We tried to meet with them to sign any official paperwork but they said don't worry about it.

Bronco build date got pushed and pushed with no info from Ford until suddenly it arrived at the dealership for pickup and a salesperson called and said "I think this is your Bronco?". I had been tracking the VIN on some backdoor sites and knew when it hit the assembly line but didn't know when it got shipped. Surprisingly they held to MSRP, papers signed in an hour.

It's a mess, Ford has too many hot vehicles right now and they have horrible communication with their dealerships & customers.

giant_mtb

When I put a deposit down for the Taco, they printed off its paperwork with the VIN, MSRP, etc. So when they told me it was in, I used that VIN and put it on my insurance so it'd be set for pickup the next day. But then the next day, she texted me a different VIN, so I had to change it on the insurance. Ended up with the same exact truck, but a different VIN. Was sorta confused, but no difference to me. Same truck, same price.

Morris Minor

I hope the FTC starts going after the dealership system and also the states that enable it. The whole incestuous crooked racket needs to be shut down.
You should be able to go on to Ford's web site.
Order the one you want.
Put down a deposit.
Get the VIN & track it.
They email you when it's ready to be picked up by you or delivered to you.
You pay the balance.
No dealer involvement.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 16, 2022, 02:10:55 PM
I hope the FTC starts going after the dealership system and also the states that enable it. The whole incestuous crooked racket needs to be shut down.
You should be able to go on to Ford's web site.
Order the one you want.
Put down a deposit.
Get the VIN & track it.
They email you when it's ready to be picked up by you or delivered to you.
You pay the balance.
No dealer involvement.

I've almost bought a Tesla a couple of times because I could just order it online. I hate dealerships wasting my time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 16, 2022, 10:32:45 AM
This is how it was for our Bronco too lol. It was the most disorganized purchase experience. $100 initial reservation deposit + $ deposit to convert to an official order, that was it. No discussions on out the door price aside from a verbal agreement on "MSRP no markups". We tried to meet with them to sign any official paperwork but they said don't worry about it.

Bronco build date got pushed and pushed with no info from Ford until suddenly it arrived at the dealership for pickup and a salesperson called and said "I think this is your Bronco?". I had been tracking the VIN on some backdoor sites and knew when it hit the assembly line but didn't know when it got shipped. Surprisingly they held to MSRP, papers signed in an hour.

It's a mess, Ford has too many hot vehicles right now and they have horrible communication with their dealerships & customers.

It's definitely a mess. Thousands of posts on the MaverickTruckClub about how to get a truck, everything that has gone right or wrong with getting one.

Will