2020 Volkswagen Golf Mk8 Fully Revealed In Official Images

Started by cawimmer430, October 24, 2019, 06:38:04 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on October 30, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
You're the one making it a binary, not me. And I even specifically said "comparable car" anticipating your silly Mitsubishi Mirage argument.

To be fair, the Mitsubishi Mirage G4 is a fantastic piece of automotive engineering and craftsmanship.

If the year was 1929, this would be definite nominee for Car of the Week.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 30, 2019, 05:04:44 AM
I'd argue that whittling life down to a 3rd pedal in your car is giving up :lol: I will have a stickshift car again one day.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AltinD

Quote from: 2o6 on October 29, 2019, 08:25:34 PM

Just because you gave up on life doesn't mean the rest of us have to

If a MT is the on;y thing making the car fun to drive, than you are driving a crappy car

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

veeman

A lot of boring to drive cars are not bad cars.  They're good for other reasons.  An MT can make that otherwise boring car, fun. 

Especially low hp compact or subcompact type cars.  Like most of the world drives outside of a handful of countries.

I bought my prior VW diesel beetle over a Golf because I thought it looked cool.  The Golf is a better car in every other way including a better driver.  An MT made the otherwise slow diesel Beetle a hoot to drive.  Once off the line, mid range grunt with the MT was great.  I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't come with an MT. 

I've heard (haven't driven) that a Subaru WRX with an automatic isn't that great but the MT completely changes the character of that car.  Similar with the BRZ (I've driven both of this car and the automatic was definitely blah compared with the MT).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on October 31, 2019, 06:51:07 AM
A lot of boring to drive cars are not bad cars.  They're good for other reasons.  An MT can make that otherwise boring car, fun. 

Especially low hp compact or subcompact type cars.  Like most of the world drives outside of a handful of countries.

I bought my prior VW diesel beetle over a Golf because I thought it looked cool.  The Golf is a better car in every other way including a better driver.  An MT made the otherwise slow diesel Beetle a hoot to drive.  Once off the line, mid range grunt with the MT was great.  I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't come with an MT. 

I've heard (haven't driven) that a Subaru WRX with an automatic isn't that great but the MT completely changes the character of that car.  Similar with the BRZ (I've driven both of this car and the automatic was definitely blah compared with the MT).

Stop making sense. This is an argument about nonsense.

Along the same lines, when I rented an automatic Corvette, I thought the transmission basically ruined the character and fun potential of the car, and made it frustrating to drive in all situations except for stop-n-go traffic.

cawimmer430

An 82-year-old acquaintance of mine has a Volkswagen Golf Cabriolet with a 6-speed manual transmission. She has recently developed eyesight issues and was involved in a small accident with her car and these two experiences have put her off driving, especially with all of these stupid teenagers aimlessly and recklessly cruising around on E-Scooters.

So I do her driving for her with her car if she needs to go somewhere, does some shopping etc.

Is it fun to drive? Sure, shifting gears is involving and adds another dimension to driving, but for me it's not the only thing which makes a car fun to drive. And I've said it before - there are some really shitty manual transmissions out there which ruin any semblance of fun which a car may have had. Remember that BMW 118i F20 I had over at my place for a week? The manual was so awful and the car felt rather bland to drive - despite being RWD. Or that Audi Q2 30 TDI I had over earlier this year - the manual was actually ok, but the gear ratios were so low that in order to reach 100 km/h you had to shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I felt that that car would have driven and accelerated so much better with VWAG's excellent DSG transmission.

I like manuals but it's not the major factor in if I am going to buy a car or not. Plus, driving a manual is ANNOYING as hell in Munich stop-and-go traffic and on the heavily congested surrounding Autobahns and roads. There are other ways of having fun in a car - the power, the way the power and torque are built up, the handling, the way the steering wheel communicates what the front wheels are doing etc. etc. etc.

Her car: https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=35127.0

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 30, 2019, 01:55:38 PM
To be fair, the Mitsubishi Mirage G4 is a fantastic piece of automotive engineering and craftsmanship.

If the year was 1929, this would be definite nominee for Car of the Week.

In the 1990s that might be considered. Plus, considering they were selling these for $5000, you really could not go wrong with them as a basic means of transportation.

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 31, 2019, 09:50:22 AM
So I do her driving for her with her car if she needs to go somewhere, does some shopping etc.

Awe.  Thats sweet of you.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

I love love love driving Scrappy except for stop and go traffic, which is a complete drag.

I would love to have an Electric for just zip cruising when I'm just not in a 3rd pedal mood- I imagine that pure torque magic would be pretty fun.

But also size has a lot to do with it, Scrappy is expert at cutting through traffic I just wouldn't do with Odyssey. I know I can punch it and grab a gap without inconveniencing others. If I did the same in Odyssey, it would be a few second wait while the transmission figures out what I want to do and finally go.
Will

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

So, here is the Skoda Version of the Golf 8. The Octavia IV. It looks more conservative, which might appeal more to some.

It has mostly the same diesel, gasoline, CNG, mild hybrid, and plug in hybrid versions are the Golf.

12,000 RPM

That looks so much better than our POS Jetta

Man I couldn't believe how ugly the GLI was in person. It looks like a Chinese Golf with a trunk
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

For those who think the Golf 8 - and the Skoda Octavia - are to boring, the Spanish version should turn out to be more appealing, if these teasers are in indication.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 12, 2019, 05:17:30 AM
That looks so much better than our POS Jetta

Man I couldn't believe how ugly the GLI was in person. It looks like a Chinese Golf with a trunk

Probably because it is a Chinese Golf with a trunk.  The Jetta is only sold in China and the Americas.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

The local Volkswagen dealership is across from my fueling station of choice in Munich and already has the new Golf in the showroom - in lime green. I've driven past it at night - twice - and saw it inside, however I was too lazy to stop my car, get out and take some pics. Will perhaps do so when I am back in Munich.

Initial quick glance impression - looks pretty neat.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Some snapshots I took today of the new Golf at the local dealer. Very nice.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Kind of like the pattern on the seats.  Breaks up the acres of grey.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Galaxy

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on February 27, 2020, 07:14:50 AM
Those wheels are turrrrrrible.

Seriously, I think it ruins the whole car.  Put some MKV wheels on this thing or something.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Galaxy

The Audi Version. I hate the AC vents around the instrument cluster.

Eye of the Tiger

SJ_GTI

Vent placement seems weird. I am not a fan of having vents blowing right on me.