Mustang Mach-E

Started by Payman, November 15, 2019, 04:12:33 AM

Payman

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-mustang-mach-e-heres-the-car-price-and-0-60-1839875945

Looks alright, kinda like a Jag I-Pace, hate the big tablet interior, pretty expensive in the $60K range, could have named it something better (Galaxy, Futura, Falcon, etc).

mzziaz

I hate that they are exploiting the Mustang (and Mach) name for an electric SUV.

It might be an OK car, otherwise. I'm glad Ford finally are trying seriously to compete in the EV market
Cuore Sportivo

12,000 RPM

That tablet screen is a non-starter but otherwise it looks like a good idea. Nothing else to fault besides the name.

The price is OK. A similarly equipped Edge is gonna cost less obviously but will cost 5 figures more to fuel up over ~5 years. Add incentives and its reasonably priced.

Plus they beat Tesla to the punch for a mainstream EV crossover.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Don't really see this beating Tesla... Mustang faithful will hate it and no real benefit over a Tesla.  Plus the lack of a charging infrastructure limits it to a 2nd car
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Obviously Tesla fanboyism is undefeatable; I was just saying they beat them to market with a non-penalty box EV crossover.

The Mustang name is stupid and will probably hurt sales. But outside of that it looks pretty good.

SJ_GTI

Pretty much agree with everyone here, it looks good but the name is dumb.

Soup DeVille

Remember way back when in the '80s when Ford proposed replacing the Mustang with a FWD V6 derived from a Mazda?

The "Hey, Asshole" letter writing campaign was glorious, pre-internet viral criticism. And for what? So we could get an electric SUV instead?

Ford has a long long history of shortchanging their longest selling nameplate, and I've never figured out why.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

It's pretty ugly.  But 300 miles, mid 5s 0-60, for $50k - $7500 credit = $43,500?  Solid deal
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Rear end is hideous with those Mustang tail lights. I don't know what executive had this idea, but someone should have spoken up and told him he's retarded. Apparently they just have yes-men
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

It looks like a mustang got stung by a bumble bee.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

I hate that body style.  Someone at Ford needs their ass kicked.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on November 15, 2019, 05:50:16 AM
Don't really see this beating Tesla... Mustang faithful will hate it and no real benefit over a Tesla.  Plus the lack of a charging infrastructure limits it to a 2nd car

There are 20 public EV charging stations in my city.  1 Tesla Supercharger and 19 "generic" (e.g. SAE J1772) stations, mostly owned by ChargePoint.  There's more infrastructure, locally, to support owning this car, or any other EV not using proprietary charging connectors and infrastructure, than a Tesla.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on November 15, 2019, 08:43:15 AM
There are 20 public EV charging stations in my city.  1 Tesla Supercharger and 19 "generic" (e.g. SAE J1772) stations, mostly owned by ChargePoint.  There's more infrastructure, locally, to support owning this car, or any other EV not using proprietary charging connectors and infrastructure, than a Tesla.
Plus someone buying a $40K car outside of a dense urban area probably has a driveway/garage to charge it

Even with a charging network EVs are still short range commuter type vehicles to me.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

afty

Teslas can also use J1772 chargers.  An adapter comes with the car. 

Also, J1772 chargers are fine for opportunity charging (e.g. topping off while shopping), but not what you want for critical away-from-home charging.  You really want DC fast charging like a Supercharger unless you're OK sitting there for 4 hours. 

Electrify America is building out standards-based DC fast charging, so I expect this situation to get better over the next few years.  But right now it's a lot harder to charge a non-Tesla EV than a Tesla.

r0tor

I looked nearby and the charge point chargers are at Nissan car dealers (probably for Leafs) and are not fast charging like the Tesla superchargers.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: afty on November 15, 2019, 10:02:35 AM
Teslas can also use J1772 chargers.  An adapter comes with the car. 

Also, J1772 chargers are fine for opportunity charging (e.g. topping off while shopping), but not what you want for critical away-from-home charging.  You really want DC fast charging like a Supercharger unless you're OK sitting there for 4 hours. 

Electrify America is building out standards-based DC fast charging, so I expect this situation to get better over the next few years.  But right now it's a lot harder to charge a non-Tesla EV than a Tesla.

Sure, fast chargers are a must if you're trying to road trip.  I don't see any EV as viable for a long-range road tripper.  There's insufficient infrastructure even for Tesla to support that right now, IMO.  If I have to carefully plan my trip around the limited locations of fast charge stations, it's not viable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Slow chargers are pointless unless they are at a shopping mall or hotel where you are staying for many many hours

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 15, 2019, 10:16:22 AM
Slow chargers are pointless unless they are at a shopping mall or hotel where you are staying for many many hours
Everyone can't have a driveway and fast chargers are expensive. If EVs are gonna take over the world slow chargers for overnight street/parking lot/deck parking are gonna be mandatory. Doesn't make sense to spend $10K at every parking spot for "fast" charging when a slow charger at 1/10th the price will do it

But even fast charging is still like 2-4x slower than pumping gas. I remember once I timed filling up my Kia... it did 17 gallons (or 350 miles) in like 2 minutes. Tesla brags about its Superchargers doing 1000 miles in an hour. So there will always be a gap

MrH

I don't understand how anyone buys an EV car without having a garage and a level 2 charger.  Street parking and relying solely on superchargers is nuts.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Some people get free charging at work. But yea I couldn't do that either

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 15, 2019, 10:36:27 AM
Everyone can't have a driveway and fast chargers are expensive. If EVs are gonna take over the world slow chargers for overnight street/parking lot/deck parking are gonna be mandatory. Doesn't make sense to spend $10K at every parking spot for "fast" charging when a slow charger at 1/10th the price will do it

But even fast charging is still like 2-4x slower than pumping gas. I remember once I timed filling up my Kia... it did 17 gallons (or 350 miles) in like 2 minutes. Tesla brags about its Superchargers doing 1000 miles in an hour. So there will always be a gap

The Tesla brag puts the slow Charge Point chargers into perspective.  One you can plug in and grab a bite to eat and not be horribly delayed.  The other you would spend half a day to drive another hour or two.

So yea, roadside slow chargers are pointless

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 15, 2019, 12:21:21 PM
roadside slow chargers are pointless
Depends on the road. Interstate? Probably (though there are plenty of road side motels etc.)

Residential street? Definitely not.

Again if EVs are the future its fanboys are promising (no swipes at the very reasonable EV SPINners here) slow chargers are going to be key for mass adoption outside of single family homes with driveways.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

I'm still grappling with who could have possibly thought it was a good idea to name any SUV/CUV a Mustang.  As with most of the recent stupidity at Ford, I'll chalk this up to Hackett.  He needs to be sent packing.  It's pretty clear that he should have stuck with the office furniture business.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Hackett is a clown, we can agree on that.

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2019, 06:19:00 AM
I'm still grappling with who could have possibly thought it was a good idea to name any SUV/CUV a Mustang.  As with most of the recent stupidity at Ford, I'll chalk this up to Hackett.  He needs to be sent packing.  It's pretty clear that he should have stuck with the office furniture business.

My money is on Americans thinking "it's a Mustang that sits up high and doesn't hurt my hips! SWEET!"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

I think you guys are being to critical, we will have to wait and see if it eats pedestrians upon leaving Cars&Coffees to see if it deserves the Mustang name.  At least the RWD one has the potential with all of that torque.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on November 17, 2019, 08:35:54 AM
I think you guys are being to critical, we will have to wait and see if it eats pedestrians upon leaving Cars&Coffees to see if it deserves the Mustang name.  At least the RWD one has the potential with all of that torque.

It would take a person with an uncommon lack of self-awareness to take one of these to a Cars and Coffee.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator