Mustang Mach-E

Started by Payman, November 15, 2019, 04:12:33 AM

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2019, 09:20:28 AM
It would take a person with an uncommon lack of self-awareness to take one of these to a Cars and Coffee.

Perhaps, then, to an equivalent gathering of EV owners?  As it stands today, there is no pedestrian-gobbling analog to the Mustang within the EV community.  Then again, I don't think the EV crowd are the sort to impress their peers with smoky burnouts or other public demonstrations of speed and power.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 17, 2019, 09:24:43 AM
Perhaps, then, to an equivalent gathering of EV owners?  As it stands today, there is no pedestrian-gobbling analog to the Mustang within the EV community.  Then again, I don't think the EV crowd are the sort to impress their peers with smoky burnouts or other public demonstrations of speed and power.

No, I found a few EV events, but it seems to mostly be about people agreeing with each other about how smart they are.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjRs336s90
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 17, 2019, 09:20:28 AM
It would take a person with an uncommon lack of self-awareness to take one of these to a Cars and Coffee.

The Mustang crowd would beat him up?

Galaxy

Quote from: MX793 on November 17, 2019, 09:24:43 AM
Then again, I don't think the EV crowd are the sort to impress their peers with smoky burnouts or other public demonstrations of speed and power.

Quite a lot of Tesla owners seem to relish taking their cars to the drag strip.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on November 17, 2019, 09:52:47 AM
The Mustang crowd would beat him up?

Oh no.

Mockery perhaps.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Smacks of Mulally renaming the 500 to Taurus, with similar results (still no one will buy it).

2o6

The internet reaction to this car is a textbook example as to why I've been pulling back from online car commentary. It's all over the map, and it's hypercritical over the dumbest shit. And y'all wouldn't have bought the thing anyway.

The styling is fine; I actually think it's pretty well styled with good proportions, even if the rear lights are kinda meh.

The specs and pricing are right on the money. What would y'all have wanted Ford to do? I think it's a better effort at making an electric car than the already good, but clearly undersized for the USA Chevy Bolt.

I think complaining about crossovers or the use of the Mustang moniker is fuckin stupid.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2019, 12:09:47 PM
Smacks of Mulally renaming the 500 to Taurus, with similar results (still no one will buy it).

1. Didn't that work? I recall sales actually jumping when the car was restyled, got a better interior and engine, and a familiar name.

2. Either way, no one buys cars that size anymore so that's not even a fair comparison. The E-segment sedan is dead.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on November 17, 2019, 12:59:29 PM
The internet reaction to this car is a textbook example as to why I've been pulling back from online car commentary. It's all over the map, and it's hypercritical over the dumbest shit. And y'all wouldn't have bought the thing anyway.

The styling is fine; I actually think it's pretty well styled with good proportions, even if the rear lights are kinda meh.

The specs and pricing are right on the money. What would y'all have wanted Ford to do? I think it's a better effort at making an electric car than the already good, but clearly undersized for the USA Chevy Bolt.

I think complaining about crossovers or the use of the Mustang moniker is fuckin stupid.

1. Didn't that work? I recall sales actually jumping when the car was restyled, got a better interior and engine, and a familiar name.

2. Either way, no one buys cars that size anymore so that's not even a fair comparison. The E-segment sedan is dead.

IOW, only your opinion is the correct. Gotcha. Nothing new on the Internets ;).

No, the "Taurus" did not work. Mulally wanted to bring back the glory of the Taurus by slapping its name on a ho-hum no namer. In short, there was zero clue on product management, and endemic of the product issues that Mulally brought (by focusing on operations), which ultimately led to Ford's problems today - cancelling all its cars but the Mustang, the dead cat bounce of Ecoboost, way behind in EVs and no investment in AD (it will never work, but it's a bad PR move).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2019, 02:22:16 PM

No, the "Taurus" did not work. Mulally wanted to bring back the glory of the Taurus by slapping its name on a ho-hum no namer. In short, there was zero clue on product management, and endemic of the product issues that Mulally brought (by focusing on operations), which ultimately led to Ford's problems today - cancelling all its cars but the Mustang, the dead cat bounce of Ecoboost, way behind in EVs and no investment in AD (it will never work, but it's a bad PR move).
What does any of that have to do with this?

The Taurus' glory was long gone by the time they came out with the Taurus X; current Rustang is the best ever.

Taurus X was terrible pre-bailout era domestic crap; as far as EVs go this thing looks to be a cut above the competition.

And you are the absolute last person to cry about correct opinions. I'm guessing you will be playing peekaboo from behind the arbitrary morality tree in a few posts
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2019, 02:22:16 PM

Taurus outsold the 500 despite being the exact same vehicle with a rename.  But by that time, it was the beginning of the end for large sedans and sales were flagging anyway.  And years of stagnation had taken a lot of wind out of the Taurus brand anyway.

Last I checked, GM was cancelling pretty much their entire car line as well, save the Corvette.  Camaro may not even be around beyond 2021.  Dodge/Chrysler doesn't have much of a car line left either (the Challenger and the now very dated LX sedans) after cancelling all of their compact and midsize cars several years ago.

And no investment in AD?  What do you call their acquisition of Argo AI back in 2017 (for a cool Billion)?  Or the currently ongoing testing programs in Miami, Detroit, and DC?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

I like that the screen has a physical dial on it like with Land Rovers, also the frunk is huge and like the Puma it comes with a drain, and can be hosed out. Curiously most people seem to say Mach-E like Marquis.

2o6

I think being stuck on the name is silly.

Pricing, styling, range, and size are all a home run.

Laconian

Well, it's nice that they have a display where a gauge cluster would be, but this is shamelessly applying the Tesla/Chinese "tack an iPad on it" school of interior design. Ford can do better than that. :facepalm:

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I wish they had made the screen less tall, and maybe broken it up between the HVAC and the radio. That screen (and the model 3's) look so precocious perched on the dash.

I do appreciate the actual gauge cluster and real vents in this car, though.

Not sure about the door handles.

Laconian

What's that dial near the center armrest? Looks like it's fixed function.. HVAC?

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2019, 11:10:53 PM
What's that dial near the center armrest? Looks like it's fixed function.. HVAC?

PRND.

12,000 RPM

The Mustang name and that stupid screen are my biggest gripes with this. But it's still several steps on the way to an EV that feels like a conventional car. The fact that Jalopnik's peanut gallery hates it means they're clearly doing something right

MrH

Looks way better in real life than the original pictures leaked.  I kind of like the black out hatch trim to make it look sleeker.

Cool use of what looks like tweed fabric on the dash.

This is the first electric car I've been interested in to some degree.  It's like a Tesla without the Tesla problems :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Exterior looks ok, I guess.

But man, that interior just looks dull and uninspired.  :confused:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Is this the future of personal transportation or just a feel good purchase for high income millennials?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 18, 2019, 05:34:28 AM
The Mustang name and that stupid screen are my biggest gripes with this. But it's still several steps on the way to an EV that feels like a conventional car. The fact that Jalopnik's peanut gallery hates it means they're clearly doing something right

Quote from: MrH on November 18, 2019, 07:39:49 AM
Looks way better in real life than the original pictures leaked.  I kind of like the black out hatch trim to make it look sleeker.

Cool use of what looks like tweed fabric on the dash.

This is the first electric car I've been interested in to some degree.  It's like a Tesla without the Tesla problems :lol:

+1 to both.

I won't poo-poo it too much, since the bones look good. Might be a slight improvement compared to my Bolt. Looks like 0-60 time and overall range are similar to the Bolt at the base level, but both can be improved depending on trim level & options.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on November 18, 2019, 08:36:27 AM
Is this the future of personal transportation or just a feel good purchase for high income millennials?

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 18, 2019, 05:34:28 AM
Same.  Never been a fan of crossover body styles as the rear end looks just plain ugly.  Mach E, however, does a slightly better job of it...

...as opposed to the Model Y, which is the worst looking, imo.

After my initial disparagement of the Mach E, I would say that I'm glad Ford is making it, but I wish they hadn't called it a Mustang.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 18, 2019, 08:38:21 AM
+1 to both.

I won't poo-poo it too much, since the bones look good. Might be a slight improvement compared to my Bolt. Looks like 0-60 time and overall range are similar to the Bolt at the base level, but both can be improved depending on trim level & options.

It's also a bigger, faster car than the Bolt.

I like the Bolt, but I feel like it's the wrong car for most markets. It feels like it was originally designed for Opel/Vauxhall then retooled at the last minute when GM internal realized they could dump those brands.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on November 18, 2019, 08:57:14 AM

It's also a bigger, faster car than the Bolt.

I like the Bolt, but I feel like it's the wrong car for most markets. It feels like it was originally designed for Opel/Vauxhall then retooled at the last minute when GM internal realized they could dump those brands.

Only because Americans think they need way larger cars than they actually do.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on November 17, 2019, 02:52:59 PM
Taurus outsold the 500 despite being the exact same vehicle with a rename.  But by that time, it was the beginning of the end for large sedans and sales were flagging anyway.  And years of stagnation had taken a lot of wind out of the Taurus brand anyway.

Last I checked, GM was cancelling pretty much their entire car line as well, save the Corvette.  Camaro may not even be around beyond 2021.  Dodge/Chrysler doesn't have much of a car line left either (the Challenger and the now very dated LX sedans) after cancelling all of their compact and midsize cars several years ago.

And no investment in AD?  What do you call their acquisition of Argo AI back in 2017 (for a cool Billion)?  Or the currently ongoing testing programs in Miami, Detroit, and DC?

It's not the result, bit the intent.

GM cut models - but plenty remain - Corvette, Camaro, Bolt, Regal, CT4 and CT5, etc.

Ford didn't buy Argo - merely invested. It's a start, but Argo is new to the scene (2016), also taking money from others (VW). The three major players in AD - Google/Waymo, Tesla and GM/Cruise - have been at it for much longer. Ford/Argo is not seen as a major AD player.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 18, 2019, 09:27:42 AM
Only because Americans think they need way larger cars than they actually do.
I think it's more that Americans want bigger cars than we need. Which is fine. A purchase as expensive and high utility as a car can't be 100% left brained.

FoMoJo

I prefer this...

...to the blank grille.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Oh no doubt about it, that's MUCH better!

r0tor

I'm still trying to find any remote resemblance to an actual Mustang beyond having 4 wheels and a roof
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed