2020 VW Jetta Review

Started by 2o6, February 04, 2020, 08:30:50 PM

2o6

I maybe possibly be getting a job as a writer, so here's a softball review I did of the new Jetta.

------------------------------------

The Jetta has been an important model in the German automaker's lineup for a very long time now. In the late 2010s, sales of sedan-shaped vehicles have hit an all-time low. People rapidly are migrating from sedan and hatchback cars, into trucks, crossovers, and SUV's. Even just this year, the Honda CR-V crossover SUV outsold the Honda Accord. Even at Toyota, the RAV4 crossover SUV is on track to outsell the Camry.

Despite the insistence of global buyers migrating to "crossovers" and SUV's, there are still sedan buyers out there, and each manufacturer is vying for your hard-earned sedan dollars. This Jetta hits hard on value-for-money, comfort, and interior space.

What is it?

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact sedan, competing with cars like the Toyota Corolla, or the Honda Civic.

What does it look like, inside and out?

The Jetta was explicitly crafted to appeal to US buyers, according to Volkswagen. The car looks classy and refined, with straight lines and good proportions comprising the compact sedan. The side character line easily blends into the rear tail lamps and trunk line. The roofline is sporty and coupe-like, terminating in a short rear decklid. In front, you're greeted with a large grille, with a big chrome VW badge in the middle. The wheels are 16", and even with the larger profile tires, still manage to look handsome underneath the car.

Inside, you're greeted with a logically laid-out interior, that looks and feels classy, especially for the price. The materials feel good, with soft-touch plastic in many places, even on the most basic model. The fit and finish of all the pieces come together in a manner than beats out some luxury cars with much higher price tags. The infotainment is neatly integrated into the dash - different than the tablet-on-the-dash style screens that are in a lot of other manufacturers' vehicles. The 6.5" screen is capable of running Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, but unfortunately, there are only USB-C connections for your phone. SEL and SEL Premium come with an 8" touch screen.

The Jetta S comes with a useful, but basic interior gauge layout, whereas the SEL and SEL Premium come with Volkswagen's "Digital Cockpit" - a slick and impressive gauge cluster. Volkswagen says you can customize what's displayed, from speed, estimated fuel economy, and travel time to route guidance, assistance systems, and elevation.

The Jetta is a well-packaged sedan, there's ample room for four or five adults. The trunk is spacious, offering 14.1 cubic ft, beating out the Toyota Corolla. The rear seat has plenty of legroom and adequate headroom despite the "coupe-like" roofline.

How does it drive? What makes it go? (All the tech dirty bits)

Underneath, the Jetta uses a new modular chassis used on most of Volkswagen's latest models - called "MQB". Volkswagen says that chassis helps make vehicles lighter, safer, and easier to manufacture.

Power comes from a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, which makes a pretty modest 147HP. Although on paper that doesn't sound like a lot, the Jetta's 184 ft-lbs of torque comes on early in the powerband, so it never feels out of its depth either in city traffic or merging on the freeway. When up to speed, you're rewarded with excellent fuel economy - up to 40MPG, according to the EPA. City MPG is rated at a solid 30MPG, both great numbers.

The six-speed manual I drove was good, with a great-feeling and smooth gear change, and an easy-to-use clutch.

The steering is light but accurate. The ride is supple and smooth, not crashy or stiff. The Jetta handles Ohio potholes and rough roads with ease but still feels confident, if not sporty, in corners. On the freeway, road noise is kept to a minimum, and the sound system is powerful and helps to keep out any other road or wind noise even at 70MPH.

How much does it cost?

Pricing is as follows

S- $18,745

SE - $22,395

R-Line - $23,245

SEL - $24,695

SEL Premium - $27,695

+$895 destination charge.

All but the base "S" Jetta come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Jetta S comes standard with a smooth-shifting six-speed manual, but the same eight-speed automatic found in the higher trims is an $800 option.

SE and higher trims also have a $495 cold-weather package that adds convenience options like a heated steering wheel and heated seats.

Driver aids like forward collision assist, automatic emergency braking, and a blind spot monitoring system are standard on all trims except the base S model grade, where it is a $495 option. Other driver aids such as rear traffic alert, or lane-keeping assist are only offered on the SEL or SEL Premium trims.

Volkswagen also offers a four year, 50,000 bumper to bumper warranty for its 2020 models. The car also comes with two years of complimentary free scheduled maintenance.

Should I buy one?

The Jetta has a strong warranty and is competitively priced. Its comfortable interior and big trunk mean it can still be a strong alternative to a small SUV for many buyers. It's excellent interior space and interior packaging make it a good alternative to an SUV for budget-conscious families, or maybe just the driver who prefers not to drive an SUV.

The Jetta is definitely worth a look.

2o6

My actual thoughts?

It's a boring car, and I never thought I would see the day that a Toyota Corolla is sharper to drive. The steering is whack, the car looks bland, and as a whole, I would not buy this car.

WookieOnRitalin

Why did you not write that then?

Don't be a sell out. You're better than that.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

veeman

I like your write up.  In the first and second paragraph, I don't think you need an apostrophe in SUV's.

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on February 05, 2020, 03:42:19 AM
I like your write up.  In the first and second paragraph, I don't think you need an apostrophe in SUV's.

FoMoJo

Very informative write-up without being overly enthusiastic.  Needs editing. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Do you mind if I take a crack at editing it a bit for you?  It's a good review, but it needs some polish.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on February 06, 2020, 06:04:22 AM
Do you mind if I take a crack at editing it a bit for you?  It's a good review, but it needs some polish.

Be my guest.

CaminoRacer

Raza's gonna add an entire rant about how his old stickshift Jetta was the best.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 06, 2020, 01:07:01 PM
Raza's gonna add an entire rant about how his old stickshift Jetta was the best.

You can get a stick with the base car. So yeah, that's the best one.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on February 04, 2020, 08:31:48 PM
My actual thoughts?

It's a boring car, and I never thought I would see the day that a Toyota Corolla is sharper to drive. The steering is whack, the car looks bland, and as a whole, I would not buy this car.

This contradicts everything you said in your writeup. People depend on truthful reviews when they shop for cars.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on February 06, 2020, 04:18:50 PM
This contradicts everything you said in your writeup. People depend on truthful reviews when they shop for cars.

A car can be two things at once. The steering is light and accurate *and* whack. It can corner well and be uninteresting. It can be handsome and unexciting.

This type of review is more akin to sponsored content, or a neutral review that gives more of an overview of the vehicle rather than imparting my opinion too much on a possible buyer. even still, not emphasizing the bad parts of a vehicle isn't "untruthful". I just talked about the strengths of the car, and less about the negatives or the things I disliked.

The car is *fine*. It's just not very interesting. If someone is looking for a compact sedan, it's worth a gander.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on February 06, 2020, 05:09:49 PM

A car can be two things at once. The steering is light and accurate *and* whack. It can corner well and be uninteresting. It can be handsome and unexciting.

This type of review is more akin to sponsored content, or a neutral review that gives more of an overview of the vehicle rather than imparting my opinion too much on a possible buyer. even still, not emphasizing the bad parts of a vehicle isn’t “untruthful”. I just talked about the strengths of the car, and less about the negatives or the things I disliked.

The car is *fine*. It’s just not very interesting. If someone is looking for a compact sedan, it’s worth a gander.

I miss the accuracy of Rich Ceppos, Csaba Csere, and the other auto journalists that's sorely missing now. If the steering is light and accurate, yet "whack" (what does that even mean?) then write that and explain the whack part. It seems to be important info the reader would want to know.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Rockraven on February 06, 2020, 07:33:56 PM
I miss the accuracy of Rich Ceppos, Csaba Csere, and the other auto journalists that's sorely missing now. If the steering is light and accurate, yet "whack" (what does that even mean?) then write that and explain the whack part. It seems to be important info the reader would want to know.

Exactly.

Your impressions are your impressions. Especially when the cars are turning more vanilla, the writing about them cannot be as vanilla. Patton Oswalt was talking about his early days in comedy and his early struggles. He said he kept trying to focus on making the audience laugh and how it was not really working. Then he saw and met Bill Hicks and learned a different way of doing things. Bill was authentic, poignant, and ultimately prophetic. He did this all by just being who he was and taking the audience on a journey with him. Bill Burr and Chappelle do the exact same thing and it makes their comedy that much richer.

Just be you. Take us on that journey with you. If I want vanilla, I'll read Edmunds.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 06, 2020, 01:07:01 PM

It was, absolutely.  I still miss that car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 08, 2020, 07:34:13 AM
Exactly.

Your impressions are your impressions. Especially when the cars are turning more vanilla, the writing about them cannot be as vanilla. Patton Oswalt was talking about his early days in comedy and his early struggles. He said he kept trying to focus on making the audience laugh and how it was not really working. Then he saw and met Bill Hicks and learned a different way of doing things. Bill was authentic, poignant, and ultimately prophetic. He did this all by just being who he was and taking the audience on a journey with him. Bill Burr and Chappelle do the exact same thing and it makes their comedy that much richer.

Just be you. Take us on that journey with you. If I want vanilla, I'll read Edmunds.

I bought my Dakota from Patton Oswalt. Or at least, someone that could be his stunt double. He also carried a pistol on his hip, had a few lovely rottweilers, and wasn't funny.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 08, 2020, 07:34:13 AM
Exactly.

Ehh I think 2o6 is fine to be vanilla in this case. If he's pursuing a job he just needs stuff that will showcase his writing, not be the next C&D editor. If he went too wild people might tune out since they don't know his name yet.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

It's a sponsored post for a free periodical marketed towards old people in central Ohio.

It's not a goddamn "CAR" level piece.

It's a softball article showcasing the strengths and a General overview of the car.

Also, I think a lot of "all or nothing" hyperbole is ruining auto journalism and turns people off towards cars as a whole. Some of the cars that auto journalists love to shit all over aren't (and often times, have never) been that damn bad.

Im not gonna say some BS Jalopnik esque pontificating about how cars are dying or whatever when

- this car isn't my tastes, but tbh it's not that bad

- that's not this audience

- that shit is annoying

2o6

Also.....like cars are consumer products first and foremost.

I said the Corolla is sharper, but it's also much tighter inside. For some people, that *matters*.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2020, 03:12:17 PM
It's a sponsored post for a free periodical marketed towards old people in central Ohio.

It's not a goddamn "CAR" level piece.

It's a softball article showcasing the strengths and a General overview of the car.

Also, I think a lot of "all or nothing" hyperbole is ruining auto journalism and turns people off towards cars as a whole. Some of the cars that auto journalists love to shit all over aren't (and often times, have never) been that damn bad.

Im not gonna say some BS Jalopnik esque pontificating about how cars are dying or whatever when

- this car isn't my tastes, but tbh it's not that bad

- that's not this audience

- that shit is annoying

Yeah, it's one thing to point out that some aspect of a vehicle is worst in class, but in most cases, worst in class is still adequate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Good write-up!

Some photographic input from me. You don't need a fancy camera to take nice shots, but you do need a nice location to make the car look interesting and give the photos some buzz. So while you're driving around and see an interesting location that would work well with the car, pull over and take some pics. Rearrange the car's parking and stance if necessary. Interior shots are best done in a shady spot if you don't have professional lighting equipment with you. The time of day is also crucial for emotional photos. Early mornings and late afternoon work best in terms of balanced and emotional light. ;)

For example, these are the kinds of shots you want. Car by itself in a location which doesn't distract. No nearby parked cars and such. Took these shots of the rental CLA180 with my smartphone.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

My laptop battery is about to die, so I'm going to post this now, but I'll come back to it later.  You've got some good bones here, but the prose needs work.

EDIT:  Okay, take a look.  You dance around stuff a little too much; it seems like you're either trying to fill a word count for a school paper or that you haven't thought out what you want to say beforehand.  Don't be afraid to be direct.  Also, never say "sedan-shaped vehicles", what even the hell is that?  It's a sedan or it's not a sedan.  You're talking about a car that's for sale, not describing a hit and run vehicle to the police.  You know what it is, just say it.  Also, try not to repeat the same word conspicuously.  I noticed that a couple of times.  Migrate more than once, greeted twice in close proximity.  Some of my choices are stylistic, I admit, and I have hundreds and hundreds of pages written in many different forms through which I've developed that style, so you'll get there.  But until then, be plain, direct, factual, and when stating opinion, make it clear.  Try not to be too flowery, just start with the facts and go on from there.  Good luck.

The Volkswagen's Jetta has been an important model in the German automaker's lineup for a very long time now. In the late 2010s, sales of sedan-shaped vehicles sedans have hit an all-time low. People are rapidly migrating from sedan and hatchback cars, into trucks, crossovers, and SUVs. Even just this year, the Honda CR-V crossover SUV outsold the Honda Accord. Even at Toyota, the RAV4 crossover SUV is on track to outsell the Camry. These feel like a non-sequitur compared to your intro sentence.  You bring it back around to sedans after these sentences, but the transition is jarring.  It reads as "The Jetta is important to Volkswagen.  The RAV4 is going to outsell the Camry.  It doesn't flow.

Despite the insistence of global buyers migrating to crossovers and SUVs, there are still sedan buyers out there, and each manufacturer is vying for your their hard-earned sedan dollars. This Jetta hits hard on value-for-money, comfort, and interior space. I know it's two different contexts, but you say "hard" in two sentences in a row, it doesn't sound right

What is it?

The Volkswagen Jetta is a compact sedan, competing with cars like the Toyota Corolla, or and the Honda Civic. I'd add some basic specs here, like length, width, and cargo capacity, and how those numbers compare to the segment as a whole.  Otherwise, having a section of your article that's just one sentence is kind of pointless.  This could either be folded into another section or included in the intro.

What does it look like, inside and out?

The Jetta was explicitly crafted to appeal to US buyers, according to Volkswagen.Volkswagen crafted the Jetta specifically to appeal to US buyers. The car looks classy and refined, with straight lines and good proportions comprising the compact sedan. The side character line easily blends into the rear tail lamps and trunk line. The roofline is sporty and coupe-like, terminating ending in a short rear decklid. In front, you're greeted with a large grille, with a big chrome VW badge in the middle. The wheels are 16" and even with the larger profile tires, they still manage to look handsome underneath the car.

Inside, you're greeted greeted again.  Try to vary your diction a bit with a logically laid-out interior that looks and feels classy, especially for the price. The materials feel good, with soft-touch plastic in many places, even on the most basic model. Even on the most basic models, the materials feel good, featuring soft-touch plastics in many places. The interior fit and finish of all the pieces come together in a manner than beats out some luxury cars with much higher price tags. The infotainment is neatly integrated into the dashboard - -different than the tablet-on-the-dash style screens that are in a lot of other manufacturers' vehicles. The 6.5" screen is capable of running Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, but unfortunately, there are only USB-C connections for your phone. SEL and SEL Premium come with an 8" touch screen. This wording feels clumsy; I get what you're trying to say.  It has a 6.5" screen and has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but it's not the size of the screen or the screen itself that has CarPlay, it's the infotainment system.  There's a better way to say this.

The Jetta S comes with a useful, but basic interior gauge layout, whereas the SEL and SEL Premium come with Volkswagen's "Digital Cockpit" - -a slick and impressive gauge cluster. Volkswagen says you can customize what's displayed, from speed, estimated fuel economy, and travel time to route guidance, assistance systems, and elevation. Can you or can't you?  Is Volkswagen's claim in doubt?

The Jetta is a well-packaged sedan, there's ample room for four or five adults. The trunk is spacious, offering 14.1 cubic ft, The trunk is a a spacious 14.1 cubic feet, beating out the Toyota Corolla. The rear seat has plenty of legroom and adequate headroom despite the coupe-like roofline. How are the ingress and egress?

How does it drive? What makes it go? (All the tech dirty bits)

Underneath, the Jetta uses a new modular chassis used on most of Volkswagen's latest models - called "MQB" Volkswagen's new modular chassis, called MQB, which is also used on most of their latest models. Volkswagen says that chassis helps make vehicles lighter, safer, and easier to manufacture.

Power comes from a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, which makes a pretty modest 147HP. Although on paper that doesn't sound like a lot, the Jetta's 184 ft-lbs of torque comes on early in the powerband, so it never feels out of its depth either in city traffic or merging on the freeway. When up to speed, you're rewarded with excellent fuel economy ; up to 40MPG, according to the EPA. City MPG is rated at a solid 30MPG, both great numbers.

The six-speed manual I drove was good, with a great-feeling and smooth gear change, and an easy-to-use clutch. I'd want some more detail here

The steering is light but accurate. The ride is supple and smooth, not crashy or stiff. The Jetta handles Ohio potholes and rough roads with ease but still feels confident, if not sporty, in corners. On the freeway, road noise is kept to a minimum, and the sound system is powerful and helps to keep out any other road or wind noise even at 70MPH.

How much does it cost?

Pricing is as follows

S- $18,745

SE - $22,395

R-Line - $23,245

SEL - $24,695

SEL Premium - $27,695

+$895 destination charge.

All but the base "S" Jetta come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Jetta S comes standard with a smooth-shifting six-speed manual, but the same eight-speed automatic found in the higher trims is an $800 option.

SE and higher trims also have a $495 cold-weather package that adds convenience options like a heated steering wheel and heated seats.

Driver aids like forward collision assist, automatic emergency braking, and a blind spot monitoring system are standard on all trims except the base S model grade, where it is a $495 option. Other driver aids such as rear traffic alert, or lane-keeping assist are only offered on the SEL or SEL Premium trims.

Volkswagen also offers a four year, 50,000 bumper to bumper warranty for its 2020 models. The car also comes with two years of complimentary free scheduled maintenance.

Should I buy one?

The Jetta has a strong warranty and is competitively priced. Its comfortable interior and big trunk mean it can still be a strong alternative to a small SUV for many buyers. It's excellent interior space and interior packaging make it a good alternative to an SUV for budget-conscious families, or maybe just the driver who prefers not to drive an SUV.

The Jetta is definitely worth a look.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 13, 2020, 06:32:45 PM
Thanks, Raza!

No worries! I hope I wasn't too hard on you and I hope it was helpful.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i