VW ID.3

Started by Galaxy, September 09, 2019, 02:27:07 PM

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2019, 12:33:11 PM
The model 3 did it quite poorly though by having a very grille shaped outline where a grille should be. I know they were making a statement of sorts, but I don't think it looks good.

Yep, they did it far better in the 90's. I'm guessing that outline is there for pedestrian crash regs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AltinD

Quote from: Laconian on September 20, 2019, 11:42:30 AM
Tesla ditched the grille but still manages to find air for cooling

No it doesn't. Drive one fast, or try repeat starts, and they shut off because of overheating.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

afty

Quote from: AltinD on September 20, 2019, 05:15:47 PM
No it doesn't. Drive one fast, or try repeat starts, and they shut off because of overheating.
Don't think this is true for the 3.  The 3 Performance has Track Mode to keep things cool and repeatable.  The S does have overheating problems, but not the 3 to my knowledge.

For example, https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-performance-31-hard-launches-video/ and https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 20, 2019, 10:00:19 AM
For me the "traditional air-intake grille" is up there with putting fake exhaust on a E-car. That is one of the things Tesla, and Porsche got right, and Audi got wrong imo.

Now, Porsche does deserve criticism for using the turbo moniker.

From a design POV I think putting a fake grille on EVs can add to their acceptance. We're used to seeing cars with a grille. I think part of what turns people off from EVs (aside from the current drawbacks of price, range, charging time and potential battery replacement costs) is the lack of a grille; it makes the car not look like a traditional car, or makes it look too futuristic.

I also don't have a problem with EVs having fake exhausts. That's actually cool and gimmicky - in a funky way.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2019, 12:29:59 PM
And lots of ICE cars went grill-free too for years. That doesn't change whether or not a grille could be functional, and it very well could be.

Some of them even looked cool in their day!  :ohyeah:

And some didn't.  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 20, 2019, 05:31:23 PM
From a design POV I think putting a fake grille on EVs can add to their acceptance. We're used to seeing cars with a grille. I think part of what turns people off from EVs (aside from the current drawbacks of price, range, charging time and potential battery replacement costs) is the lack of a grille; it makes the car not look like a traditional car, or makes it look too futuristic.

I also don't have a problem with EVs having fake exhausts. That's actually cool and gimmicky - in a funky way.  :lol:

I dunno, I would like to see electric cars do more with the flexibility afforded by the powertrain.

veeman

I don't think the exterior design is that good but starting at < 30,000 Euros which is $33,000 for an electric  car with that range is a good deal. I think it'll sell very well. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2019, 08:43:29 PM
I don't think the exterior design is that good but starting at < 30,000 Euros which is $33,000 for an electric  car with that range is a good deal. I think it'll sell very well. 

IIRC it already has something like 45,000 pre-orders.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 21, 2019, 12:32:26 PM
I dunno, I would like to see electric cars do more with the flexibility afforded by the powertrain.

:tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Dude, that artist should draw shit for Google. Such beautiful Material Design(TM)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 23, 2019, 06:36:27 PM
Dude, that artist should draw shit for Google. Such beautiful Material Design(TM)

:lol:

But in all honesty, I don't like where the design for EV cars is going. They're either:

1) Wacky

2) Ugly

3) Too Futuristic

Or

4) Have Weird Proportions

I like the Renault Zoe and the Honda E. Those are the best-looking mainstream EVs IMO.

The rest of the EV designs which I really like are all concepts that will probably never see the light of day. And if they do they may be toned down.

So aside from the Audi e-Tron GT, I also like the Bentley EXP 100 GT and the Mercedes-Maybach Vision 6 Coupe/Convertible.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Bring on the weird. We need weird.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 24, 2019, 04:42:01 AM
Bring on the weird. We need weird.

Weird yes, but not bland and ugly. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 24, 2019, 06:22:42 AM
Weird yes, but not bland and ugly. ;)

Imagine an electric Citroen DS. Tiny low hood, but so beautiful. Dump the wheezy unremarkable ICE and you'd have a much better car IMO.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 24, 2019, 12:33:40 PM
Imagine an electric Citroen DS. Tiny low hood, but so beautiful. Dump the wheezy unremarkable ICE and you'd have a much better car IMO.

I rode in a 1972 DS23 Pallas many years ago. The engine wasn't really that buzzy in normal driving situations. I'm part of the "I like the ICE sound!" crowd. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de