Mercedes SL 73 AMG: Rarer Than A Pagani Zonda And The Coolest R129 Of Them All

Started by cawimmer430, September 16, 2019, 02:09:23 PM

cawimmer430

I've only seen one so far and know two people who own one (in the Munich R129 SL Club). Apparently most of these went to Japan for some reason.

Mercedes SL 73 AMG: Rarer Than A Pagani Zonda And The Coolest R129 Of Them All

This Mercedes SL 73 AMG is one of the rarest AMG variants ever to exist, signifying the absolute best money could buy at the time.

It is estimated that AMG built between 40 and 50 examples of the SL 73 from 1997 to 2001, so exclusivity is on par with the best in that field. This is a 1999 facelifted example that was delivered new in Japan and it shows just under 35,000 km (21,700 miles) on the odometer.

In order to turn this beautiful R129 into an SL 73, AMG took the 6.0-liter M120 V12 engine and enlarged it to 7.3 liters and adding upgraded internals. The end result is a rather very healthy 525 HP and 553 lb-ft (750 Nm) of torque. The fact that it shares its engine with the Pagani Zonda makes it even cooler.

Performance is quite strong as you might expect, with the SL 73 AMG able to reach over 200 mph (322 km/h) flat out, once the 155 mph top speed limiter is removed. 0-60 mph is 'traction limited' to 4.6 seconds. AMG also made some necessary upgrades to the active suspension and braking system in order for the SL to keep up with the power.

The exterior differences are really subtle, making the SL 73 AMG one of the most undercover performers out there; AMG's discreet bodykit compliments the elegant body lines, as does the set of the classic five-spoke alloy wheels. A twin exhaust and small exterior badging are the only giveaways that this SL packs some serious punch, while the cabin features the optional ergonomic seats dressed in black leather and the extended leather dashboard and door cards.

Overall, this SL 73 AMG is one of the finest modern classics available today, not to mention its exclusivity. Interested parties, head to RM Sotheby's London auction on October 24 and place their bid.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/mercedes-sl-73-amg-rarer-than-a-pagani-zonda-and-the-coolest-r129-of-them-all/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

And yep, my dad still has his. Getting it's Historic license plate in November this year, then it's got classic car status!   :rockon:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 16, 2019, 02:13:33 PM
And yep, my dad still has his. Getting it's Historic license plate in November this year, then it's got classic car status!   :rockon:

Is it a SL 73 AMG?  Beautiful car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 17, 2019, 07:19:29 AM
Is it a SL 73 AMG?  Beautiful car.

It's an SL100, a 1.0 3-cylinder 2-stroke "fuel economy" model for Europe.... :lol: j/k

It's a 1989 500SL, one of the first 500 cars built. My father bought it off his best friend who had good connections to Mercedes-Benz (he had a garbage disposal company and bought fleets of MB trucks...) and skipped the long waiting list that way. He drove the car a few years before my dad bought it off him.

Once it has its historic plate we're going to participate in classic car shows with it. Should be fun! ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Mostly related, but one of my most memorable automotive moments is when some dude outside of Baltimore on I95 launched out of a toll booth next to me in an SL 65 AMG and laid down what had to be 300+ feet of rubber... Good God the sound
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2019, 06:20:59 PM
Mostly related, but one of my most memorable automotive moments is when some dude outside of Baltimore on I95 launched out of a toll booth next to me in an SL 65 AMG and laid down what had to be 300+ feet of rubber... Good God the sound

Here's the SL73 AMG. ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOhWCxgSf4

www.wimmerfotografie.de