The Detailing Thread

Started by giant_mtb, July 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM

Submariner

Just talked with a local auto retailer recommended by a friend.  Without seeing the car, he estimates that it would cost $450-500 to polish/buff my midsize SUV.  Not sure if I should go with him or just do a less intensive job on my own. 

Given my goal of a light (beginners) paint correction, is there a particular type of buffer pad I should use?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on June 26, 2019, 03:19:52 PM
Just talked with a local auto retailer recommended by a friend.  Without seeing the car, he estimates that it would cost $450-500 to polish/buff my midsize SUV.  Not sure if I should go with him or just do a less intensive job on my own. 

Given my goal of a light (beginners) paint correction, is there a particular type of buffer pad I should use?

I'm a big fan of Lake Country CCS pads.

https://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-6inch-pads.html

Scroll down a bit to see the description/intended use of each different color pad.  I like the blue and black pads for waxing and final polishing.  White or orange are good for light cutting compounds.

I would suggest the white pad for the compound and the black pad for any wax/sealant you want to apply.

Eye of the Tiger

I would def go with the most aggressive brake pads.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 26, 2019, 10:55:30 AM
Thinking about getting an ozone generator machine thing.  Supposed to be great for odor elimination.  I thought they were really expensive (and they can be), but apparently not.  Can get one for like $70-80 on Amazon.

I ran one in my parents musty smelling basement.  I ran it on its highest setting (I think it was rated for 3,000 sq. ft.) for 12 hours, and used two large 36" fans to circulate air.  The basement didn't smell like anything for at least a year after.

Some people say that O2 generators work well, others say that they have no effect.  In my experience it did a fantastic job of eliminating the odor, rather than just masking it.  However, O2 is a strong oxidant and will severely irritate your lungs.  It can also chemically break down organic materials, so try and use it sparingly if possible.

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 26, 2019, 11:35:42 AM
2o6's video of steam cleaning a smoker's car was nasty AF. Seemed satisfying to get all the nasty shit out, though.

That actually was a hot water extraction, not steam

BimmerM3

Quote from: Submariner on June 27, 2019, 07:47:49 PM
I ran one in my parents musty smelling basement.  I ran it on its highest setting (I think it was rated for 3,000 sq. ft.) for 12 hours, and used two large 36" fans to circulate air.  The basement didn't smell like anything for at least a year after.

Some people say that O2 generators work well, others say that they have no effect.  In my experience it did a fantastic job of eliminating the odor, rather than just masking it.  However, O2 is a strong oxidant and will severely irritate your lungs.  It can also chemically break down organic materials, so try and use it sparingly if possible.

O3 ;)

Preeeeeety sure that O2 is perfectly healthy for humans. :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 27, 2019, 07:49:26 PM
O3 ;)

Preeeeeety sure that O2 is perfectly healthy for humans. :lol:

Damnit!!!

Submariner

I bought a clay mitt and practiced a bit before I do the polish.  Even after washing each panel three times, it's amazing how much residue the clay bar takes off.

Even still, I couldn't get rid of all of the residue on the front end of the car.  Perhaps I used too much lubrication (car soap), but even several passes with the clay bar didn't seem to remove all the dirt.  Some spots I soaked with a bit of degreaser, but I'm not sure how that is with clear coat so I didn't let it sit for long.  How do I get rid of more stubborn road tar and debris? 

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on June 27, 2019, 07:47:49 PM

And it's a carcinogen!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on June 27, 2019, 08:52:40 PM
I bought a clay mitt and practiced a bit before I do the polish.  Even after washing each panel three times, it's amazing how much residue the clay bar takes off.

Even still, I couldn't get rid of all of the residue on the front end of the car.  Perhaps I used too much lubrication (car soap), but even several passes with the clay bar didn't seem to remove all the dirt.  Some spots I soaked with a bit of degreaser, but I'm not sure how that is with clear coat so I didn't let it sit for long.  How do I get rid of more stubborn road tar and debris? 

Degreaser isn't going to affect your paint, and it is actually decent as a clay/mitt lubricant, so no worries there.  Remember that your clear coat is essentially a pigment-free paint designed to last the life of the vehicle...takes something strong and deliberate to actually fuck it up.

Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to get more stubborn spots clean. And your fingernail is always a good weapon for spot cleaning of bug guts or tar spots.  Degreaser is good, also try rubbing alcohol (great for sap and windows, and you can put it in a spray bottle).

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2019, 04:14:31 AM
Degreaser isn't going to affect your paint, and it is actually decent as a clay/mitt lubricant, so no worries there.  Remember that your clear coat is essentially a pigment-free paint designed to last the life of the vehicle...takes something strong and deliberate to actually fuck it up.

Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to get more stubborn spots clean. And your fingernail is always a good weapon for spot cleaning of bug guts or tar spots.  Degreaser is good, also try rubbing alcohol (great for sap and windows, and you can put it in a spray bottle).

Ahh of course.  Rubbing alcohol.  That makes sense thanks.

I think this is my list of goods at this point:

Random Orbital Sander: https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_263_t_0/130-2414413-4773405?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8GKPBTB8NSMFS3V96NSR

Light cut pad: https://www.autogeek.net/coarse-green-pad.html

Wax / zero cut pad: https://www.autogeek.net/lc-ccs-gray-6.html

Meguiar's Swirl remover 2.0: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Swirl-Remover/dp/B0002SQVX0/ref=asc_df_B0002SQVX0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312190122371&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8357372832650142062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003217&hvtargid=pla-490290145893&psc=1

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax: https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liquid-Insulator-Wax-845/dp/B000JK2D06/ref=asc_df_B000JK2D06/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202698398&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14502783811493702747&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003217&hvtargid=pla-422424326378&psc=1

Can I use the same processes on plastic-chrome trim? 

giant_mtb

Plastic, no. You don't want to get polish/wax on it. In fact, it's usually best to tape off black plastic trim.  Some plastics will soak up polish or wax and turn white, and it's annoying to remove (another good time to use rubbing alcohol). 

Chrome...doesn't really need to be buffed or anything, but slap some wax on it to shine it up, for sure.

r0tor

Any good suggestions on maintaining a leather dash? Afraid to use anything oily and it soaks through and messes us the adhesive holding the leather on
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

What interior cleaners do you use in general? I see most dealerships slather on the bacon grease so what looks nice without being greasy?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on July 07, 2019, 03:40:01 PM
Any good suggestions on maintaining a leather dash? Afraid to use anything oily and it soaks through and messes us the adhesive holding the leather on

Is it real leather, polyurethane, or some sort of olefin?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Pretty sure it's real leather
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

I'd probably use just what I use on my Saddleback bags.  https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Milk-Conditioner-All-Natural-Applicator/dp/B007ZDDUCK?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_8124200011

That's what I like best and should be fine on your car.  If it's polyurethane based, I'd just wipe it down with a wet microfiber towel.

As for the adhesive holding it on, nothing is going to soak through and cause that to deactivate really.  If you had issues with it coming off, the glue never fully activated during manufacturing then (which isn't an unheard of thing in leather wrapping).

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

I would imagine heat cycling would be a bigger threat to the adhesive.

But yeah, any good leather stuff will do. Preferably something with UV protection.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 07, 2019, 06:09:18 PM
What interior cleaners do you use in general? I see most dealerships slather on the bacon grease so what looks nice without being greasy?

Using an APC/light degreaser will get you clean without the grease. There are also some interior products designed to provide a matte finish, though I don't have any experience (that I can remember) with store-available stuff besides Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. Which I still order by the gallon to this day.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 08, 2019, 06:30:09 AM
Using an APC/light degreaser will get you clean without the grease. There are also some interior products designed to provide a matte finish, though I don't have any experience (that I can remember) with store-available stuff besides Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. Which I still order by the gallon to this day.

Meg's works great...just have to make sure to wipe down every panel with a clean towel after cleaning or there will be excess shine.

Speed_Racer

I love 303 aerospace protectant on my interior plastics - no ridiculous shine or weird smells.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on July 08, 2019, 11:42:41 AM
Meg's works great...just have to make sure to wipe down every panel with a clean towel after cleaning or there will be excess shine.

Or just use less. 

MrH

Most interiors just need to be wiped down with a damp cloth.  You don't need to spray any garbage on a injection molded piece of plastic.  Lots of them actually do harm.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on July 10, 2019, 02:32:27 PM
Most interiors just need to be wiped down with a damp cloth.  You don't need to spray any garbage on a injection molded piece of plastic.  Lots of them actually do harm.

But the people want their dash "armor-all'd."  Some people really love glare from their dash on the windshield for some buttfuckall reason.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2019, 02:43:28 PM
But the people want their dash "armor-all'd."  Some people really love glare from their dash on the windshield for some buttfuckall reason.

:confused:  I don't understand that at all.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on July 10, 2019, 02:44:20 PM
:confused:  I don't understand that at all.

Me either. My interior cleaner spray bottle is a combo of APC and a very small amount of Hyper Dressing (Meg's water based rubber/plastic/vinyl/etc dressing) for a good clean and just a touch of "depth" that a little dressing provides without being shiny or greasy.  Oh, and of course most of the concoction is just clean water.

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2019, 01:33:39 PM
Or just use less. 

I give the towel one spray per fold.  Still can't complain much...works well across leather and plastic.

r0tor

Looks like there is some leather milk for automotive applications... Might try it

https://leathermilk.com/auto-refreshener-no-4-car-leather-conditioner/

Submariner

I have water spots all over the windows...it almost looks like soap scum on a shower door.  NOTHING will take it off.  I've tried degreaser, magic erasers, washing with car soap and even a power washer...nothing works.  How do I take them off?

CaminoRacer

Have you tried mineral spirits?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV