Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

giant_mtb

Debating taking the dirtbike on my trip out west. Is altitude gonna be an issue? Moab is only like 4k feet. Where I live is about 1,400.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 16, 2018, 11:06:07 PM
Debating taking the dirtbike on my trip out west. Is altitude gonna be an issue? Moab is only like 4k feet. Where I live is about 1,400.

You'll lose a little power.  May need to tinker with the carb jetting so it doesn't run rich.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 16, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Not enough to worry about.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2018, 10:05:01 AM

That's what I figured.  I thought Moab was higher up, but I don't think I'll have any issues. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on September 17, 2018, 05:42:24 AM
You'll lose a little power.  May need to tinker with the carb jetting so it doesn't run rich.

With all its emissions junk, I'm pretty sure it runs pretty damn lean stock...could probably use to run a little richer. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2018, 10:05:01 AM

Yeah, I don't change jetting on my El Camino or motorcycle from Kentucky to Utah (700 feet to 4100-4500 feet)

Once you start going above 5500 ft it gets more noticeable.

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 17, 2018, 10:07:05 AM
That's what I figured.  I thought Moab was higher up, but I don't think I'll have any issues. 

You go downhill into Moab from the high plateaus of Colorado.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Getting dirtbike ready.  Finally changed my flat front tire tube.  Since I put the bar risers on, it was having trouble idling...thought it might be the throttle cable, so I loosened that up a bit (it's a push-pull), but to no avail.  Main issue with some visual cues while turning the bars and watching the cable housing and changes in idle indicates that it's the choke cable being pulled this way and that.  So of course I have to rip off the plastics/seat/tank to get to the choke adjustment since there's no spinny adjuster on the bar end of it.

Edit:  Googling said people just disconnect choke at the bar side and re-route it to give slack.  Much easier.  Done.

CaminoRacer

Your choke is on the bar? Interesting.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yup yup.  On the same mount bracket as the clutch.

12,000 RPM

I think I posted this before, but it's worth a repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5jLvprPno

0-200 in 11 seconds. And the bikes are faster now. I am more than happy to leave track riding to the pros
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Gotta be in good shape to hold onto that thing.  Jesus.  I suppose the riding position helps, eh?  Can use your legs quite a bit to keep yourself forward and relax your arms a bit?

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 20, 2018, 10:43:59 AM
Gotta be in good shape to hold onto that thing.  Jesus.  I suppose the riding position helps, eh?  Can use your legs quite a bit to keep yourself forward and relax your arms a bit?

Rearset pegs and the seat has a large step to keep you from sliding off the back.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on September 20, 2018, 12:22:28 PM
Rearset pegs and the seat has a large step to keep you from sliding off the back.
It's still very possible. This acceleration averaged 0.8g. Average!!!

Speed_Racer

I aligned the forks on the VStrom a few days ago and what a difference it has made in the ride. I guess things got tweaked when I dropped it a while ago, but I was having issues with stiction and a very slight wobble. But the alignment solved everything and only took about half an hour. The bike is back to being super smooth again.

The GF and I took it on a long leaf-peeping ride to Bear Lake today, and I'm riding solo out to Vegas this weekend for a friend's bachelorette party. Closing in on the 50K mileage mark.

heelntoe

New 650cc twins from Royal Enfield. They start at $5800. Thoughts?
@heelntoe

12,000 RPM

I'd be weary. Dealer network and parts will make ownership difficult. Just buy a used Bonneville

FoMoJo

Quote from: heelntoe on September 26, 2018, 12:42:50 AM

New 650cc twins from Royal Enfield. They start at $5800. Thoughts?
The Continental GT is a nice looking bike.  A touch of old school.  My favourite still, is the Bullet 500 with its classic look.  Love the sound the the big single.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Can tell the Tractor is running a little rich up here in Moab. A little stinkier than normal. But, she's running fine. Did ~45 miles in 85+ degrees yesterday and she didn't skip a beat.

Air cooled tractor ftw.

Speed_Racer

I did 850 miles to Vegas and back this weekend on the DL1000. I had a lot of time to think about the bike - I've come to the determination that it does everything "fine enough", but doesn't really excel at anything. The downsides are starting to grate on me: jerky low-RPM fueling, touchy clutch, handles like a wet noodle. And for how many miles I do touring, I kind of want something that does at least a few things very well. So I'll probably start researching an upgrade for next year.  :huh:

12,000 RPM

Regarding the jerky low-RPM fuelling... if it has a cable throttle, check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JiIbn_2tOY

Speed_Racer

I'll take a look at that. I have a few other things I'm going to try out as well, but the 1000 was known for having bad fueling problems due to emissions equipment - they even had a TSB to replace the ECU (no longer honored).

giant_mtb

Might be able to get one last ride in tomorrow. Supposed to be sunny and ~50F.

giant_mtb

Excellent riding weather, indeed.  Wore some layers, my fleece-lined jeans, and insulated work gloves.  Was sweating a bit, so just about perfect.  Fall sure is messy, though.  Got pretty dirty exploring some trails I haven't been on before.  Fall is cool because with the foliage down, you can see things (trails, artifacts, whatever) through the woods that you may not usually see in the summer.

Definitely gonna need a new rear tire next season.  This one has lasted me that last three seasons, but it's definitely time now.  230L doesn't chew through tires very quickly with its staggering 14hp. :rockon:

Gotta-Qik-C7

WOW! my trees here still have all the leaves on them!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 22, 2018, 04:09:13 PM
WOW! my trees here still have all the leaves on them!

Yeah, we've had a pretty quick and dirty fall.  Fairly typical as far as the color change and leaf drop goes, but it's been a bit of a chilly October.  Last October was abnormally nice for the most part, IIRC.  Had lots of good fall riding last year, not so much this year.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 24, 2018, 09:05:52 AM
Yeah, we've had a pretty quick and dirty fall.  Fairly typical as far as the color change and leaf drop goes, but it's been a bit of a chilly October.  Last October was abnormally nice for the most part, IIRC.  Had lots of good fall riding last year, not so much this year.

Our October went from pleasantly warmer than normal to way colder than normal pretty much overnight.  No warm-up in sight.  Kids will be lucky if it's not snowing on Halloween.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Speed_Racer

I need some heated grips.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

I filled my gas tank and Sta-Bil'd last night. :cry:

12,000 RPM

Damn now this is what I'm talking about

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/oh-damn-rs-660-aprilia-twin-concept.html

Still not fucking with the middle weight GOAT (any Triumph with the 675 or 765) but very interesting nonetheless

I'd love to ride a race prepped SV650 one day. ~90HP + ~350 or so lbs sounds fun.