The G-spot

Started by SVT666, January 09, 2013, 05:30:19 PM

GoCougs

I've sold lots of used cars - most of 'em pretty much junk. I always listed 'em as firm, cash only, and as-is, where as, no exceptions. I tell them when I'll be home, and they have to accommodate. Ignore all comms that don't fit that criteria. Always a cast of characters but it's always worked for me, but the risk of drama is fairly high and it takes time - I won't do it again.

Also remember the tax credit on your trade in applies to the new car. Let's say you live in a state with 10% tax, that $5,000 trade-in value is actually $5,500 in your pocket. At least for me, I keep my cars long enough such that the trade-in value vs. private sale value doesn't mean much. My G as it is now is worth maybe $4-$5k so the +/- on that, in dollar value, is small, and not worth the risk.

HurricaneSteve

I had been checking the local CL listings for G35's for quite some time now, I wonder if I came across your listing when it was up?

Quote from: afty on May 17, 2019, 05:20:03 PM
I finally sold my G35.  I decided to sell it private party since the trade-in offer was absurdly low.  Selling it privately turned out to be a lot more stressful than I expected. If I had to do it again, I would trade it in and save myself the headache.

I posted ads on Craigslist, AutoTrader, and Facebook.  I got the best leads through Craigslist, surprisingly.  The leads fell into 4 categories:

1) Lowballs off the bat.  "Will you take <ridiculous amount> for the G35?"  No questions about the car, no wanting to see it before lowballing me.  I just replied no and moved on.
2) VIN check scams.  "I need a vehicle history report, please go to vinnumbercheckscam.co and purchase one."  I included a Carfax in my ads, so I pointed them to that and stopped replying.
3) People who didn't speak English.  These people may have been legit, but if we can't communicate we can't negotiate a sale.  Sorry.
4) Legitimate buyers who were actually interested in the car.

Of the legitimate buyers, I spent a lot of time answering questions and eventually scheduling times for them to view the car.  The first 4 people who scheduled a time with me bailed.  The 5th person actually saw the car and liked it.  He had a pre-purchase inspection which found some maintenance issues.  We agreed on a fair price given the issues.

I ended up getting $2100 more than the trade-in offer.  It was probably 20 hours of work, between prepping the car for sale, taking pictures, posting ads, and showing it.  I guess that's a pretty good hourly rate.  But there was a lot of stress from having to deal with strangers from the Internet -- Are they trying to scam me?  Is their mechanic legit?  How should I take payment? etc.  Also scheduling times to show the car was a huge PITA, since I work full time and my weekends are filled with kids' activities.  That made it doubly obnoxious when people would bail on seeing the car after I rearranged my schedule to accommodate them.

Anyway, it's done.  Goodbye G35.  Hope your new owner treats you well.

12,000 RPM

Selling my G was a nightmare as well, but I had no choice but to go private party

I would do a used lease just to never have to deal with that shit again
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 23, 2019, 05:55:34 AM
Selling my G was a nightmare as well, but I had no choice but to go private party

I would do a used lease just to never have to deal with that shit again

So what was different about your situation that pretty much applies to no one else, that also begs for drama and hassle?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on May 23, 2019, 08:41:43 AM
So what was different about your situation that pretty much applies to no one else, that also begs for drama and hassle?
It wasn't any different with various other cars I sold :huh:

And you live for drama :zzz:

CaminoRacer

I just keep cars until they die. The Mazda6 will be given the to Junkyard for a couple hundred bucks when it's done. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

afty

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on May 22, 2019, 08:56:42 PM
I had been checking the local CL listings for G35's for quite some time now, I wonder if I came across your listing when it was up?

It's possible if you were browsing the SF Bay area Craigslist.  It was up for 2-3 weeks.

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on May 17, 2019, 05:20:03 PM
I finally sold my G35.  I decided to sell it private party since the trade-in offer was absurdly low.  Selling it privately turned out to be a lot more stressful than I expected. If I had to do it again, I would trade it in and save myself the headache.

I posted ads on Craigslist, AutoTrader, and Facebook.  I got the best leads through Craigslist, surprisingly.  The leads fell into 4 categories:

1) Lowballs off the bat.  "Will you take <ridiculous amount> for the G35?"  No questions about the car, no wanting to see it before lowballing me.  I just replied no and moved on.
2) VIN check scams.  "I need a vehicle history report, please go to vinnumbercheckscam.co and purchase one."  I included a Carfax in my ads, so I pointed them to that and stopped replying.
3) People who didn't speak English.  These people may have been legit, but if we can't communicate we can't negotiate a sale.  Sorry.
4) Legitimate buyers who were actually interested in the car.

Of the legitimate buyers, I spent a lot of time answering questions and eventually scheduling times for them to view the car.  The first 4 people who scheduled a time with me bailed.  The 5th person actually saw the car and liked it.  He had a pre-purchase inspection which found some maintenance issues.  We agreed on a fair price given the issues.

I ended up getting $2100 more than the trade-in offer.  It was probably 20 hours of work, between prepping the car for sale, taking pictures, posting ads, and showing it.  I guess that's a pretty good hourly rate.  But there was a lot of stress from having to deal with strangers from the Internet -- Are they trying to scam me?  Is their mechanic legit?  How should I take payment? etc.  Also scheduling times to show the car was a huge PITA, since I work full time and my weekends are filled with kids' activities.  That made it doubly obnoxious when people would bail on seeing the car after I rearranged my schedule to accommodate them.

Anyway, it's done.  Goodbye G35.  Hope your new owner treats you well.

Congratulations:
When I sold my Prius, I required cash payment. I met the guy at my bank, he gave me the cash. I deposited it with the teller who ran it through the bill counter thing.
Then I formally signed across the title.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

HurricaneSteve

Yep I live in SF. Yours was a 2007+ based on the photo on the first page? The main thing holding me back from getting one right now is the length of these cars. My garage can house a Miata and another vehicle at most 180 inches long and I think my driveway might be just a touch short to park it on the side. Parking spaces are at a premium (like everywhere else in the city), especially ones that can hold mid-sized vehicles so I'm constantly at a dilemma as to whether or not the risk is worth it. I'm glad you were able to sell it though!

Quote from: afty on May 23, 2019, 10:17:40 AM
It's possible if you were browsing the SF Bay area Craigslist.  It was up for 2-3 weeks.

afty

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on May 23, 2019, 12:06:52 PM
Yep I live in SF. Yours was a 2007+ based on the photo on the first page? The main thing holding me back from getting one right now is the length of these cars. My garage can house a Miata and another vehicle at most 180 inches long and I think my driveway might be just a touch short to park it on the side. Parking spaces are at a premium (like everywhere else in the city), especially ones that can hold mid-sized vehicles so I'm constantly at a dilemma as to whether or not the risk is worth it. I'm glad you were able to sell it though!

Yup, it was a 2008.  It's 187 inches long so parking it might have been trouble.  SF is such a weird city, so hostile to cars yet with such poor public transit.

Morris Minor

Reading the specs, I think the Genesis G70 3.3 is the natural successor to the Infiniti G35/37.
It's sad how Nissan/Infiniti has lost its way

12,000 RPM

I still like the Q50.

HurricaneSteve

I still don't trust Hyundai/Kia products just yet, despite the progress they have made over the last ten years or so. I might have to give the G70 a test drive though just to see how close they've gotten.

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 12, 2019, 09:30:06 AM
Reading the specs, I think the Genesis G70 3.3 is the natural successor to the Infiniti G35/37.
It's sad how Nissan/Infiniti has lost its way

Laconian

Maybe we need a Bay Area SPIN GTG next time I visit the South Bay. Rags doesn't post here anymore but I can text him.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

The G70 is very nice.

Morris Minor

Took the venerable G37 to Nashville to see the new year in with some friends - they were dog sitting for the owner (a music producer,) who was happy to have us use the apartment above his studio, which was cool.

Anyway the recently-serviced G just loved the trip - lots of wide open curvy roads and more than enough grunt for overtaking. The car's getting a  little long in the tooth; it's 10th anniversary of being put on the road is coming up, but it's only got 80,000 miles on the clock, is paid for, and still goes like stink.

Side note: on a hunch I checked the tire pressures before we left, & the dealer had inflated them to nearly 40 psi. WTF.

Morris Minor

Six months on and I've got itchy feet. Ten years now since the car's production date. Interesting to look at its history. It was leased at the end of August 2010: 24 months. Then it knocked around until I bought it five months afterwards. Guessing the dealer picked it up at Infiniti's leasing auction.

2010 fell into the era during which Infiniti produced cars people actually wanted to buy.  :(

veeman

In 2014 they started naming all their cars beginning with Q, so that is perhaps a good marker for when they started sucking.

You said you've got itchy feet.  Any idea what you think you might replace it with?

Laconian

Morris Minor

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

YouTube is finding some deep cuts for me. Remember how fucking awesome this car was in 2002? The performance and value for dollar were unbelievable. 260hp was a lot back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuXhR3vs8Sg

Morris Minor

Golden era. We were at Peak ICE, before the turbos & GDI & gaming of EPA gas mileage tests.

Laconian

More stick shifts! Hydraulic assist steering! Cell phones were for talking, not texting!

CALL_911

Man I'd still rock an OG G35. I think the coupe is one of the best mainstream designs of the past 20 years

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 08, 2020, 12:51:34 AM
Man I'd still rock an OG G35. I think the coupe is one of the best mainstream designs of the past 20 years
I had one, a 2007 6MT, identical to this (Wikipedia.) It was a poor choice for heavy traffic commutes, but an absolute blast on rural roads. I replaced it with the softer G37, which I've had for six years.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 08, 2020, 12:51:34 AM
Quote from: Morris Minor on October 10, 2020, 09:51:07 AM
I had one, a 2007 6MT, identical to this (Wikipedia.) It was a poor choice for heavy traffic commutes, but an absolute blast on rural roads. I replaced it with the softer G37, which I've had for six years.

Very clean lines compared to much of what is now available.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 10, 2020, 09:53:48 AM
Very clean lines compared to much of what is now available.
I think what's happened is a combination of better steels, new ways of bending & stamping them, and LED lighting. So lots of abuse of the privilege of being able to create swoops & curves, & so dress mutton up as lamb.

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 10, 2020, 10:31:11 AM
I think what's happened is a combination of better steels, new ways of bending & stamping them, and LED lighting. So lots of abuse of the privilege of being able to create swoops & curves, & so dress mutton up as lamb.

Styles change, oscillating between very busy to very reserved.  You had the very reserved styling of the 1930s and 40s replaced by the very flamboyant, "jet age" styling of the 1950s (fins and chrome galore), to the more restrained 1960s, giving way to some more outgoing designs in the 70s.  The advent of computer design, along the allowance of rectangular headlamps in the late 70s led to the very angular and straight-edged 1980s.  This trend gave way to more organic and fluid shapes of the 1990s, then things got a bit angular and sharp-edged again in the late 90s into the 2000s (without reverting entirely to the boxy 80s)...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I think my favorite time for car styling was the Giugiaro "folded paper" era.