Cardboard Police Cars Used In Turkey To Help Stop Speeders

Started by cawimmer430, May 14, 2019, 09:00:31 AM

cawimmer430

:lol:

Cardboard Police Cars Used In Turkey To Help Stop Speeders

Police often come up with ingenious ways to discourage drivers from breaking the law. Those images that have surfaced online show what authorities in Turkey came up in their effort to clamp down on dangerous driving.

What you're looking at are large cut-outs of Turkish police cars which have been placed on the side of the road. From a distance, it may look like a real police car, but as these pictures show, it is in fact just for display purposes and even incorporates a small solar panel to run the flashing lights.

A tweet from Radford Road Police in Nottinghamshire in the UK indicates that it was thinking of employing similar tactics on its roads and asked for feedback from its followers. However, commenters who have driven in Turkey say that while the fake police cars may work initially, local drivers soon become used to them, especially if they are left in the same place for a long time.

"It works initially. I've driven in Turkey a fair bit and when I first saw them, I was very cautious. From a distance they look the real deal. Think you would have to keep moving them though as people will wise up," one Twitter used wrote.

"It's a bit like the policeman sticker in the pound shop. They might work for a while until people get used to them," another wrote.

Don't know if this way of trying to dissuade people from breaking speed limits is very effective, but we have to admit that it is both cost-effective and, well, not a bad idea.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/cardboard-police-cars-used-in-turkey-to-help-stop-speeders/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

It absolutely works. As for speeders catching on to it, simply replace it with a real cop for a day, then go back to the fake one. Do this every now and then to keep the populace on their toes.

Speed_Racer

I've driven through some small towns that park an old cop car in the city limits with a scarecrow or skeleton in the drivers seat. Seems to work well enough.

Soup DeVille

We should replace all cop cars with cardboard cut outs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 14, 2019, 11:34:32 AM
I've driven through some small towns that park an old cop car in the city limits with a scarecrow or skeleton in the drivers seat. Seems to work well enough.

Yeah, town near me did that for a long time.

Until somebody stole it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on May 14, 2019, 09:57:52 AM
It absolutely works. As for speeders catching on to it, simply replace it with a real cop for a day, then go back to the fake one. Do this every now and then to keep the populace on their toes.

Excellent idea.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

You know what's far more dangerous than "speeding"? All traffic suddenly slamming on the brakes for a piece of cardboard. FYA.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 14, 2019, 12:05:43 PM
Yeah, town near me did that for a long time.

Until somebody stole it.

Is your name "somebody?"  :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 14, 2019, 02:38:33 PM
You know what's far more dangerous than "speeding"? All traffic suddenly slamming on the brakes for a piece of cardboard. FYA.

:golfclap:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on May 14, 2019, 06:11:27 PM
Is your name "somebody?"  :devil:

Lol, no.

But, there were only 5 or 6 different keys for all the Crown Vic police cars on the planet, so...

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 14, 2019, 06:22:51 PM
Lol, no.

But, there were only 5 or 6 different keys for all the Crown Vic police cars on the planet, so...

:lol:  But there are very few Crown Vics left in service...

My local police have this inflatable dummy called "Safety Man" that they sometimes leave in an actual parked police car.  One time they had Safety Man parked across the street from my old house.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Payman

Send the cops an Instagram with your pants down to your ankles, and "Safety Man" bent over the cop car.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rockraven on May 14, 2019, 06:51:45 PM
Send the cops an Instagram with your pants down to your ankles, and "Safety Man" bent over the cop car.

:lol:  You're a sick fuck.  We need to meet at a 'spin GTG.  :devil:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on May 14, 2019, 06:45:49 PM
:lol:  But there are very few Crown Vics left in service...

My local police have this inflatable dummy called "Safety Man" that they sometimes leave in an actual parked police car.  One time they had Safety Man parked across the street from my old house.

Well, this was a few years ago, and it was a CV that got stolen.

I don't know about newer vehicles.

dazzleman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 14, 2019, 08:09:16 PM
Well, this was a few years ago, and it was a CV that got stolen.

I don't know about newer vehicles.

I think you need to figure out how to steal something newer... :lol: