Motorcycles.

Started by S204STi, July 21, 2008, 10:19:36 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 24, 2022, 03:37:49 PM
Only if it revs to 10,000rpm. Otherwise it will probably sound like 6 lawnmowers running at the same time.

What if it also had six miniature turbochargers?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2022, 03:28:05 PM
Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh. That's the stuff. Just that first 18 seconds. :drool:

That's what she said
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Engine ready to go back in.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

You took the engine out?
I need to engine out, too.

Speed_Racer

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 13, 2022, 09:34:25 PM
Looks fast!

Not really; especially not compared to modern bikes. Slightly faster than it was 40 years ago maybe.

I am old, and not an experienced rider. Looking fast is good enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

Last weekend the weather was perfect so I went on the first real moto-tour I've been able to do so far this year. It has turned out to be a busier year than originally expected.

My route took me over the Mirror Lake Highway, through Wyoming cattle ranches, past a Union Pacific ghost town, camped overlooking Flaming Gorge, and returned through Vernal and the windy roads east of Park City. A great mix of curves, dirt roads, and routes through quiet towns. Approximately 450 mile trip in total.

I almost passed 50,000 miles on the odometer but came up 20 miles short by the time I got home. Which means it'll happen without fanfare during my next commute to work. Great bike

CaminoRacer

Nice! I thought about going to Flaming Gorge last weekend. Instead I ended up driving around Bear Lake. I was kinda hoping that Logan Canyon would have some fall colors, but not yet.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2022, 10:10:09 AM
Nice! I thought about going to Flaming Gorge last weekend. Instead I ended up driving around Bear Lake. I was kinda hoping that Logan Canyon would have some fall colors, but not yet. The

It's hit or miss - the forests on the Mirror Lake hwy are just starting to turn, and the Alpine Loop behind Timp is not there yet, but the Cascade Springs side is popping.

FoMoJo

Beautiful countryside.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed_Racer

I rode to work yesterday and left my gloves wedged between the tank and handlebars for the day. A few minutes after gearing up and rolling out, I felt a sharp sting on my wrist. Something small and grouchy had been chilling in my gloves and it bit me. I'm not sure what it was, but I got a good welt and the spot burned/stung for the next 18 hours. Lesson learned, bring my gloves indoors.

Rolled over 50,000 miles on the Tiger today, 18,000 of which are mine. Still love the bike, lots of great adventures.

Eye of the Tiger

Ick. You need some ammo cans to put your gloves in.

Of course, my ammo can mobile has a massive oil leak from the valve cover at highway speeds, so I don't take it very far, anymore.

Speed_Racer

A built in rust prevention system, noice.

Speed_Racer

While browsing for winter projects, I found my old SV for sale.
Four years later and not even 2,000 new miles since I sold it, it looks a bit sun-faded. I wonder how you get a dent like that on a tank...?

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/69726300

How it looked when I sold it:

SVT_Power

I really thought next year or so when I finally settle into a place once my training is done, I would get rid of the bike. Barely ride it anymore, but just a hassle trying to sell the bike when it's plated in another province. I literally rode a couple of tank-fuls the last couple of years.

But now I'm getting that ol' sportbike itch again. Always wanted one, never could get one when I was riding a lot in the city because of insurance.

Not sure how my joints will like it, but for daily commuting for a few months and some weekend rides I can't imagine it would be TOO bad...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

I want a Honda XR150L

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 23, 2023, 08:22:06 PMI want a Honda XR150L

250L or 300L would be much more usable.  Though I understand the appeal...I'm rockin' a 2008 230L.  More than 8,000 miles of dead reliability on a 40-year old design.

Shit, just changed out the stock rear sprocket this summer.  It was pretty shot, but it worked.  And I only use the thing off-road and beat the shit out of it (I don't have it plated).  It's an amazing machine.  That thing is basically what I have with a smaller engine and rear drums instead of discs.

giant_mtb

Upon further inspection, that XR150L is literally the same as my 230L, except my 230L has rear disc brakes.  It's a 3/4 sized bike. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2023, 09:19:39 PMUpon further inspection, that XR150L is literally the same as my 230L, except my 230L has rear disc brakes.  It's a 3/4 sized bike. 

But less powah?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2023, 12:48:50 PMBut less powah?

I guess.  Google says the 150L is rated at 12.5hp, 230L is rated for a whopping 18hp. :lol:

Would not recommend if you want to do any sustained highway riding.  230L will barely hold 60mph at WOT if any inkling of an incline is involved.  And I'm only ~155-160 pounds with all my gear on.  Helps if you tuck down. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 27, 2023, 12:16:22 AMI guess.  Google says the 150L is rated at 12.5hp, 230L is rated for a whopping 18hp. :lol:

Would not recommend if you want to do any sustained highway riding.  230L will barely hold 60mph at WOT if any inkling of an incline is involved.  And I'm only ~155-160 pounds with all my gear on.  Helps if you tuck down. :lol:

Yeah, but it gets such MPG!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 27, 2023, 05:19:41 AMYeah, but it gets such MPG!

Sure does.  I get about 65mpg, and that's riding off-road/trails, which I imagine is less efficient than road cruising with the constant load/throttle changes.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm comparing it to a 150cc scooter, which is about the same price. I like scoots.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 28, 2023, 03:40:05 PMI'm comparing it to a 150cc scooter, which is about the same price. I like scoots.

I'd rather have the 150L over a 150 scooter.  More versatile.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 28, 2023, 03:40:05 PMI'm comparing it to a 150cc scooter, which is about the same price. I like scoots.

Certainly ain't gonna be scootin' anywhere quick

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

Needs a longer kickstand. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 15, 2024, 04:47:03 PMNeeds a longer kickstand. 

Hah, I use a chunk of 2x4 under the kickstand on my dirtbike when it's parked in the garage so it sits more upright/takes up less room.

Better to have a slightly shorter stand so the bike doesn't get blown/bumped over while parked out in the world instead of a longer stand that puts it too close to its tipping point.