Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2022, 11:03:41 AM
She now thinks her yelling worked. Shoulda made her wait another hour after you were done :mask:

Believe me, I didn't go any faster, and I took special care of her car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2022, 11:03:41 AM
She now thinks her yelling worked. Shoulda made her wait another hour after you were done :mask:

This is the major problem when dealing with people like that. They think what they do is effective. And few people are actually unwilling to make them suffer.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2022, 11:26:11 AM
This is the major problem when dealing with people like that. They think what they do is effective. And few people are actually unwilling to make them suffer.

I can't be a service advisor, because I will tell customers exactly where they can stick their shitty attitudes. I ran out of customer service skills years ago.

CaminoRacer

I rarely ever want a mechanic to speed up when working on my car. They can take their time and do it right.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2022, 04:29:18 PM
I rarely ever want a mechanic to speed up when working on my car. They can take their time and do it right.

Yes. I refuse to rush, and I refuse to let any of my techs be rushed. We are not a Jiffy Lube.

Eye of the Tiger

Well, I set a car on fire today. Luckily, I knew where the fire extinguisher was. The plastic fuel lines were getting crispy.

CaminoRacer

What kind of extinguisher? I hate cleaning powder extinguisher stuff off vehicles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 25, 2022, 04:15:51 PM
What kind of extinguisher? I hate cleaning powder extinguisher stuff off vehicles.

Yeah, that kind. It made a mess. It tastes like burning lemons.

Eye of the Tiger

Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but I had to walk out of the shop today because an insane customer was in the shop asking stupid questions, completely clueless and oblivious rambling. Go away. I am not teaching an automotive 101 class. Of course, my anxiety is already through the roof because I have surgery in two days.

It was also the very end of an 11 hour day, I didn't eat lunch or take a lunch break, and the fucking pain.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

I feel better, man. Nice looooong weekend.

Eye of the Tiger

$nap On truck comes tomorrow. I'm thinking about buying another box. :mask:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 12, 2022, 03:28:34 PM
$nap On truck comes tomorrow. I'm thinking about buying another box. :mask:

Last time I tried to buy a box, turned out to be an undercover cop and I got arrested.

LOLROFLCOPTER

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 12, 2022, 03:37:35 PM
Last time I tried to buy a box, turned out to be an undercover cop and I got arrested.

LOLROFLCOPTER

Yeah, but $20/week interest free for whatever years. :hmm:

CaminoRacer

Last weekend I bought a pair of vise grips, channel lock pliers, another transmission output shaft plug, a wire toothbrush, and a door panel clip tool.

Not $nap On. I only buy used Snap On on ebay.

Eye of the Tiger

1956 Olds 88. Sure, I can fix it.
Except parts.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

I just bought this

https://www.theinductor.com/induction-heater-tools-store/mini-ductor-accessories/mini-ductor-venom-hp-mdv-787

And it got every rusty nut and bolt off of this 56 Olds like it was a fucking easy button. Best tool ever.

CaminoRacer

I'd prefer a '59 El Camino over my '69 from a styling POV, but parts availability for late 60s cars is so much better than 50s cars.

Although the Olds should at least have plenty of parts for anything that it shares with the Tri-Five Chevys.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 27, 2022, 11:51:31 AM
I'd prefer a '59 El Camino over my '69 from a styling POV, but parts availability for late 60s cars is so much better than 50s cars.

Although the Olds should at least have plenty of parts for anything that it shares with the Tri-Five Chevys.

The customer brought a pair of used leaf springs and U-bolts, from who the heck knows what, to put on the rear axle. Bushings? LOL. It took a week to get those in. What else? I dunno, yet.

These old leaf springs are cool because they have strips of leather between the leafs.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 27, 2022, 11:34:08 AM
I just bought this

https://www.theinductor.com/induction-heater-tools-store/mini-ductor-accessories/mini-ductor-venom-hp-mdv-787

And it got every rusty nut and bolt off of this 56 Olds like it was a fucking easy button. Best tool ever.

I have seen those on the youtubes. Pretty nifty. Pretty expensive for the everyman, though. Gimme the $99 Harbor Freight version and I might buy one.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 27, 2022, 02:48:56 PM
I have seen those on the youtubes. Pretty nifty. Pretty expensive for the everyman, though. Gimme the $99 Harbor Freight version and I might buy one.

+1

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 27, 2022, 02:48:56 PM

Yeah, but this has a 120 second duty cycle.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Service writer: I ordered that new cylinder.
Me: ???

Me: Oh, that brake master cylinder.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

I way underbid my current job. I knew it would be a project, but damn
I got a 80's Ram in mint condition, but the owner wanted headers, dual exhaust, emissions junk deleted, and all new brake lines. Somehow, I only came up with 10 hours. I've been working on it all week.

Eye of the Tiger

Just to get the headers in, I had to remove the starter, oil filter, hydraulic pump for the plow, washer bottle, and brake master cylinder; then loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up two inches. That was after drilling out the broken exhaust stud that went into the water jacket.

RomanChariot

Yikes. That sounds like a lot of work. I'm surprised the guy was using a truck in that good of condition to plow snow.