Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 19, 2022, 10:57:07 AM
I can drive autonomously without a map and I'm sure everyone else here can too. Maps are nice to have but no way should they ever be a prerequisite for anyone's or anything's autonomy.

It's the only path that's shown any progress towards autonomous driving.  They are a prerequisite until non-mapped technology is shown as viable.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 19, 2022, 10:49:22 AM
Tesla has never claimed Autopilot to be autonomous. It's ADAS, pretty good ADAS but still ADAS.

And therein lies Tesla's crime IMO. See the video above. That's (attempted) autonomous driving. ADAS is stuff like lane keep assist, radar cruise, emergency braking - you have to be actually driving the car (hands on wheel, feet on or near the pedals) at all times.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on September 19, 2022, 11:57:03 AM
And therein lies Tesla's crime IMO. See the video above. That's (attempted) autonomous driving. ADAS is stuff like lane keep assist, radar cruise, emergency braking - you have to be actually driving the car (hands on wheel, feet on or near the pedals) at all times.
That's the FSD beta. Not Autopilot.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

I think I'd pay the extra $6k the enhanced autopilot. It's really good and my reaction times are not what they were when I was in my 30s.

As for the $15k to play in the FSD beta pool - I think not and my parsimonious Scottish granny would strike me down from beyond the grave.
But hug your kids: they're rolling the latest out to any tester with a safety score of 80 & above, 160,000 of them.

Laconian

I'd just get an Ioniq 5 which has all those features in a normal price tag.

Laconian

What kind of prescription pill cocktail made Elon come up with this gem? :facepalm:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Does Elon know how boats work? How they move, how they steer, how they're regulated, how to make them safe, etc.

Nope, "be waterproof" is what makes a boat a boat. First principle thinking, lawl

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2022, 01:12:06 PM
Does Elon know how boats work? How they move, how they steer, how they're regulated, how to make them safe, etc.

Nope, "be waterproof" is what makes a boat a boat. First principle thinking, lawl

It doesn't even need to float as long as it's waterproof.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I guess all the high voltage electronics in the Tesla will now be marine grade and cost 5x as much.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2022, 01:19:44 PM
I guess all the high voltage electronics Tesla will now be marine grade and cost 5x as much.

Lol, stop.  There is no specification or design change to ever try to achieve this stuff.  Just mindless dumb Elon stuff.  They haven't even figured out how to make door and trunk seals work correctly on their current cars.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

The "Magic of Musk" is that people buy into the Kool-aid enough many drive themselves nuts to try to bring his fantasies to life. Others throw money at him.

I don't get it. :huh:
Will

Morris Minor

He's a bit nuts but he does cool stuff. Fires people's imaginations.

Morris Minor

They undershot WS consensus on Q3 deliveries by 5%. Built lots of them but didn't deliver to get the numbers in.
Expecting the stock to take a large dump today.  :popcorn:

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rich on October 27, 2022, 04:18:29 AM
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41781263/tesla-us-criminal-investigation-full-self-driving/

"A study conducted by MIT last year found that drivers using Autopilot remove their eyes from the road for longer, and more often than when they are not using the system."

No way!

GoCougs

Tesla's been engaged in criminal activity of all sorts for years, yet, here we are, Tesla now having produced the richest and most disordered person in the world.

Laconian

Morris Minor

They're now pixel counting on the raw camera inputs - saves latency from post processing filtering, which was there really only to make images pretty for human eyes.
This is interesting to me because its analogous to what goes on in photography where, if you view a RAW file, it looks like shit but there's a *ton* of information there you can't see. The computing heavy lift is processing those to look good ready to display or print in jpg, tiff, png, webp or whatever formats.

Laconian

I'm surprised they weren't doing that sooner. Lots of signal gets chucked out the window when you transform gamut curves, smooth out CCD noise, etc.

Morris Minor

Tesla opens its EV charge connector in the hope of making it the new standard.
https://electrek.co/2022/11/11/tesla-opens-ev-charge-connector-hope-making-new-standard/

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 12, 2022, 05:13:26 AM
Tesla opens its EV charge connector in the hope of making it the new standard.
https://electrek.co/2022/11/11/tesla-opens-ev-charge-connector-hope-making-new-standard/

That would be cool. The Tesla plug ergonomics seem much better. I guess their design was conceived with DC fast charging in mind, rather than grafting it on top of legacy bits like the existing standard connector. The naming is a wee bit presumptuous though!

GoCougs

Can it handle 800V though? 800V sure seems like the way to go (= less current = less heat = smaller motors, lighter cables, cheaper power electronics, faster charging).

Laconian

Supposedly it push handle twice the power, but that's pdone with crazy amps pushed through the cable. They use active cooling in the cable to deal with the narrow wires, which seems very clever to me. Resistance heating, if kept under control, doesn't damage the wire, right?

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 12, 2022, 11:50:54 AM
Can it handle 800V though? 800V sure seems like the way to go (= less current = less heat = smaller motors, lighter cables, cheaper power electronics, faster charging).
They say they've tested it to 900A w/ no liquid cooling. It would be good to have a standard that does not require heavy-lift manhandling.

"Two interfaces are shown below, a 500V configuration and 1,000V configuration. The two interfaces are mechanically interoperable (i.e. the 1,000V inlet can mechanically receive the 500V connector and the 500V inlet can receive the 1,000V connector)."
More...
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging-product-guides#NACS-resources

AutobahnSHO

They should have done that long long ago. This will greatly help the entire industry.
Will

afty

Feels too late for this to catch on. They should have done this a few years ago, when CCS vs. CHAdeMO was still undecided.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 12, 2022, 01:17:21 PM
They say they've tested it to 900A w/ no liquid cooling. It would be good to have a standard that does not require heavy-lift manhandling.

"Two interfaces are shown below, a 500V configuration and 1,000V configuration. The two interfaces are mechanically interoperable (i.e. the 1,000V inlet can mechanically receive the 500V connector and the 500V inlet can receive the 1,000V connector)."
More...
https://www.tesla.com/support/charging-product-guides#NACS-resources

Jesus Christ.

That's a plasma bomb waiting to go off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on November 12, 2022, 01:12:22 PM
Supposedly it push handle twice the power, but that's pdone with crazy amps pushed through the cable. They use active cooling in the cable to deal with the narrow wires, which seems very clever to me. Resistance heating, if kept under control, doesn't damage the wire, right?

Generally, yes, keeping the conductor within nominal temp is key. The actual current flow doesn't damage the conductor ("generally, yes" = when current (or voltage) gets super big - like thousands or millions of amps/volts, weird stuff can happen).