Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

It all looks very distracting, and kind of crappy looking.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 17, 2020, 09:43:44 AM
It all looks very distracting, and kind of crappy looking.

Based on my personal experience with my "simple" MBUX setup, it's only "distracting" if you attempt to use it for the first time while driving and have zero experience with the system. When I got my A250 the salesman gave me some advice: don't interact or physically play with the system while driving home; drive home first and play with the system while the car is parked. Since I actually had familiarized myself with the system for months by watching Youtube videos or playing around in MBUX A-Classes at the dealership, I already knew how to use the system.

These days I can operate the system blindly with the touchpad or touchscreen (and of course voice control) - even while blasting down an Autobahn at 125 mph+.

Usually, for less tech-savvy buyers, there will be an in-depth demonstration on how MBUX works. It's quite simple to use, actually. The layout is very intelligent and there is a lot of personalization available (you can for example rearrange menus according to your personal liking and which ones you use the most...).

These days I'm also driving around my 83-year-old neighbor (she gives me gas money or treats me to tasty cakes at expensive cafes) and depending on where she needs to go I just give in the address via voice command. The system gets it right all the time. I can ask the system to find me the cheapest fuel station in the area, bring me via the fast or sightseeing route to a destination, weather reports around the world, call this person from my phone list and so much more.  I can't imagine driving a car that does not have such a feature on a daily basis - it's just so practical. ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 17, 2020, 11:39:48 AM
Based on my personal experience with my "simple" MBUX setup, it's only "distracting" if you attempt to use it for the first time while driving and have zero experience with the system. When I got my A250 the salesman gave me some advice: don't interact or physically play with the system while driving home; drive home first and play with the system while the car is parked. Since I actually had familiarized myself with the system for months by watching Youtube videos or playing around in MBUX A-Classes at the dealership, I already knew how to use the system.

These days I can operate the system blindly with the touchpad or touchscreen (and of course voice control) - even while blasting down an Autobahn at 125 mph+.

Usually, for less tech-savvy buyers, there will be an in-depth demonstration on how MBUX works. It's quite simple to use, actually. The layout is very intelligent and there is a lot of personalization available (you can for example rearrange menus according to your personal liking and which ones you use the most...).

These days I'm also driving around my 83-year-old neighbor (she gives me gas money or treats me to tasty cakes at expensive cafes) and depending on where she needs to go I just give in the address via voice command. The system gets it right all the time. I can ask the system to find me the cheapest fuel station in the area, bring me via the fast or sightseeing route to a destination, weather reports around the world, call this person from my phone list and so much more.  I can't imagine driving a car that does not have such a feature on a daily basis - it's just so practical. ;)

The average American has likely never opened their car's owner's manual.  You think the are going to take the time to sit in their parked car and figure out the complexities of a sophisticated infotainment system?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on July 17, 2020, 11:46:44 AM
The average American has likely never opened their car's owner's manual.  You think the are going to take the time to sit in their parked car and figure out the complexities of a sophisticated infotainment system?

I wouldn't doubt it if Germans read the manuals and the safety disclaimers in excruciating detail. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Crap, the battery in Ol Blue is dead. I have another one, but it's an Autozone POS. Tested good, but that was a year ago.  Do they have Autozone stores in your location?

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 17, 2020, 11:46:44 AM

Bottom line is: MBUX is really not that hard. At first it might take some getting used to but after a few days of exploring the system it becomes second nature.

Also, MBUX offers an interactive instruction manual complete with videos. Learning by doing has never been more fun. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 17, 2020, 04:38:55 PM
Bottom line is: MBUX is really not that hard. At first it might take some getting used to but after a few days of exploring the system it becomes second nature.

Also, MBUX offers an interactive instruction manual complete with videos. Learning by doing has never been more fun. :lol:

"Fun" in Deutschland...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on July 17, 2020, 12:56:43 PM
I wouldn't doubt it if Germans read the manuals and the safety disclaimers in excruciating detail. :lol:

:lol:
Will

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on July 17, 2020, 05:02:33 PM
"Fun" in Deutschland...

What happened, did the EU outlaw bratwurst and beer?

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 17, 2020, 09:41:19 PM
What happened, did the EU outlaw bratwurst and beer?

They will - to "prevent climate change"... :lol:

Moronic EU.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

My buddy & his wife are seriously thinking about selling one of their cars. She works from home for a big tech company, has done for a while. He's a private tutor - math mostly. He used to visit kids in their homes but not anymore. He set up their second home office and now it's all Zoom and shared Google Drive files. He's getting more work than he can handle.

So they had the epiphany that, since 'rona, there's never been an occasion when there hasn't been at least one car sitting unused in the garage.

Not sure I'm ready for that, but I can see why many would do this, especially if you have ride-sharing in your area as backup.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

Yeah I could see it. Cheaper to rent a car or pickup or van if you really need one short term.

But I would like Van for family/ moving stuff, Pickup for camping (LOL we don't now), fun car (which could also be commuter car). 
Will

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 21, 2020, 12:17:45 PM
My buddy & his wife are seriously thinking about selling one of their cars. She works from home for a big tech company, has done for a while. He's a private tutor - math mostly. He used to visit kids in their homes but not anymore. He set up their second home office and now it's all Zoom and shared Google Drive files. He's getting more work than he can handle.

So they had the epiphany that, since 'rona, there's never been an occasion when there hasn't been at least one car sitting unused in the garage.

Not sure I'm ready for that, but I can see why many would do this, especially if you have ride-sharing in your area as backup.

I've had the same thought. I am putting more miles on my bicycle than my Miata.  :cry:

FoMoJo

When we moved to the condo we gave my wife's car to our daughter.  They live in the city and don't use it much, but his parents live out of town.  They occasionally go camping as well, so it comes in handy for them.

We really don't miss it since we seem to always travel together anyways.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

TBR

We only use the Outback when we need the extra cargo space versus the Jetta (camping, house crap). I could probably count on one hand the occasions where we have both needed to go somewhere at the same time in the last two years.

For the first 5 months of this year, I think I drove the Outback 50 miles. To be fair, for 2 of those months it had a dead battery, but obviously I didn't really rush to take care of it. Now that it is camping season use has ramped up a good bit.

At some point we need to replace it because I don't fully trust it, and it really struggles on I70 in the mountains, but it is just hard to justify given how little use it gets. Would have been nice if I had been able to convince Eric to get something more practical.

r0tor

It is a challenge keeping the batteries fresh in our 3 vehicles... The Alfa is a bit picky about battery voltage and disables the auto start/stop until you drive awhile and top the battery up.  I had to put the Jeep on the charger after it freaked out one day
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on July 21, 2020, 05:41:01 PM
It is a challenge keeping the batteries fresh in our 3 vehicles... The Alfa is a bit picky about battery voltage and disables the auto start/stop until you drive awhile and top the battery up.  I had to put the Jeep on the charger after it freaked out one day
The stop/start on our Discovery hasn't worked for months, with all the short trips in the city with either air conditioning or heating fan running.  Haven't had a longish trip in a while.  Wish it had a volt meter.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 22, 2020, 08:03:59 AM
The stop/start on our Discovery hasn't worked for months, with all the short trips in the city with either air conditioning or heating fan running.  Haven't had a longish trip in a while.  Wish it had a volt meter.

I only use start/stop when I am driving in the countryside where stoppings are rare. I avoid using it in peak city traffic where the engine basically has to start and stop every few seconds. Nevertheless even without start/stop and foresightful driving I can average 8.2 L / 100 km in the city (28.6 mpg).

When traffic is light and I am not stopping every few seconds, then I may use start/stop in the city.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on July 15, 2020, 10:16:14 PM
Stellantis = Stellar Atlantis = Star + Atlantis = Stargate Atlantis

Are they building a stargate network, to compete with the Boring Company? Time to encode some chevrons!

StellantisR. So you can float away in your dreams.TM

Do not take if you: have trouble sleeping, do not have trouble sleeping, are taking Ambien, are not taking Ambien, have trouble staying asleep or falling asleep, do not have trouble staying asleep or falling asleep, masturbate at least once year or have ever masturbated before, own a car, do not own a car, are pregnant, may become pregnant, have been pregnant or know someone who has been pregnant, have high, low, or normal blood pressure, have zero or more feet, are waiting for the Snyder cut, still think that Tarantino is a good director, have ever had an awkward erection, sleep in a bed, do not sleep in a bed, have ever had an orgasm while your or someone else constricted your breathing, have ever stubbed your toe, are over three feet tall, have been to Disney World, have been to Disneyland, have been to Knott's Berry Farm, have not been to Knott's Berry Farm, wear a mask, do not wear a mask, shop or don't shop at Walmart, liked the Lord of the Rings movies better than the books, are one of those nerds who insists the Lord of the Rings books were better than the movies, have watched or are a judge on The Masked Singer, think Jimmy Fallon is funny, have watched or still watch Entourage and have no shame about it, own a pair of Oakley sunglasses, have ever had gay thoughts or un-gay thoughts, or are living or currently not living, the undead, or pre-born.

StellantisR: Don't wait, start living today.TM Contact your physician to find out of StellantisR is right for you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

I didn't know you were righting medical disclaimers now- does it pay well?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 22, 2020, 10:05:23 AM
I didn't know you were righting medical disclaimers now- does it pay well?

It really does. I've got so much money I sprinkle diamond dust on my cereal in the morning. I like the way it makes my poop sparkle.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

My neighbor just got rid of his 2005 328 wagon with a stick. Sad to see it go.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Raza  on July 22, 2020, 10:03:02 AM
StellantisR. So you can float away in your dreams.TM

Do not take if you: have trouble sleeping, do not have trouble sleeping, are taking Ambien, are not taking Ambien, have trouble staying asleep or falling asleep, do not have trouble staying asleep or falling asleep, masturbate at least once year or have ever masturbated before, own a car, do not own a car, are pregnant, may become pregnant, have been pregnant or know someone who has been pregnant, have high, low, or normal blood pressure, have zero or more feet, are waiting for the Snyder cut, still think that Tarantino is a good director, have ever had an awkward erection, sleep in a bed, do not sleep in a bed, have ever had an orgasm while your or someone else constricted your breathing, have ever stubbed your toe, are over three feet tall, have been to Disney World, have been to Disneyland, have been to Knott's Berry Farm, have not been to Knott's Berry Farm, wear a mask, do not wear a mask, shop or don't shop at Walmart, liked the Lord of the Rings movies better than the books, are one of those nerds who insists the Lord of the Rings books were better than the movies, have watched or are a judge on The Masked Singer, think Jimmy Fallon is funny, have watched or still watch Entourage and have no shame about it, own a pair of Oakley sunglasses, have ever had gay thoughts or un-gay thoughts, or are living or currently not living, the undead, or pre-born.

StellantisR: Don't wait, start living today.TM Contact your physician to find out of StellantisR is right for you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A couple of pretty big regional banks here merged recently, SunTrust & BB&T. Not quite household names but close-to.
The new name:
"Truist"
Nobody knows why the CEO paid the corporate branding consultants instead of handing them a vomit bag full of his puke.

Laconian

My theory as to why they pick these anodyne names is to abstract the corporate identity from their product/service/workforce. Once they're decoupled, the company is freer to be abused, laden with debt, diversified into riskier assets, and resold to China once the CEOs have driven it into the ground.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 22, 2020, 01:58:44 PM
  :lol: :lol: :lol:
A couple of pretty big regional banks here merged recently, SunTrust & BB&T. Not quite household names but close-to.
The new name:
"Truist"
Nobody knows why the CEO paid the corporate branding consultants instead of handing them a vomit bag full of his puke.

BB&T is my bank so that caught my eye when they announced it. It has to be one of the dumbest bank names ever, but once they announced it they couldn't go back.

Laconian

Netflix undid the Flixster mistake.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 22, 2020, 02:55:17 PM
?

Sorry, Qwikster. https://qz.com/1245107/as-netflix-turns-20-lets-revisit-its-biggest-blunder/

It was stupid and the market panicked. I bought a few grand of NFLX and sold at 100% profit a year later. Should've held...

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on July 22, 2020, 02:07:50 PM
My theory as to why they pick these anodyne names is to abstract the corporate identity from their product/service/workforce. Once they're decoupled, the company is freer to be abused, laden with debt, diversified into riskier assets, and resold to China once the CEOs have driven it into the ground.
This was after I left, but one of the most disastrous corporate rebrandings was when the UK's Royal Mail, after 350 years, changed to "Consignia."
It lasted 16 months.
"Stellantis" is right up there IMO. I suppose they couldn't use Peugeot because it's unpronounceable to 'murricans Pooh-joe.

cawimmer430

How out of place a Dodge RAM looks in Munich traffic...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de