The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

Payman

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on June 14, 2019, 12:10:43 PM
Probably a terrible sled, but goddamn if it ain't cool as hell.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/700239243739770/

Looks like the kind of sled people take ice fishing around here on the days the ice is a little sketchy and they may not be able to ride it back.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Ice fishing enthusiasts astound me. If the ice is sketchy, stay the fuck off.

Soup DeVille

I think we just don't understand how badly they don't want to go home.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 15, 2019, 07:09:58 AM
:confused:

Do you not know guys that work too much, go to the bar right after work, and come up with time-sucking, away-from-home hobbies like ice fishing? They don't want to go home. They are usually married but can't afford a divorce. :lol: :frown:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 15, 2019, 07:16:45 AM
Do you not know guys that work too much, go to the bar right after work, and come up with time-sucking, away-from-home hobbies like ice fishing? They don't want to go home. They are usually married but can't afford a divorce. :lol: :frown:
This was my first marriage, but never left the bar long enough to go ice fishing. :(
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 15, 2019, 07:16:45 AM

No but I've known people who stayed at work long after everyone else left and long after the work was done. I was just using the face as an :o
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 15, 2019, 09:19:50 PM
No but I've known people who stayed at work long after everyone else left and long after the work was done. I was just using the face as an :o

😲🙈🙉🙊👽
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1977-cj-7-6-cylinder/1425367458

QuoteIt has never been registered. I was told it spent its entire life in a trucking yard as a boost and push vehicle. I added seats and yj brackets since I purchased it. I bought it because of the low miles and "easy life". Based on the VIN the engine is a 258 ci 1 bbl. It is a project. Starts and runs well.

:hmm:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

What would it cost to register that CJ-7 in Canada?

93JC

Depends on the province. In Alberta: $84.45/yr, same as any other car.

I'm a little skeptical of the seller's story, and wonder if the odometer didn't roll over...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on June 23, 2019, 09:51:28 AM

I'm a little skeptical of the seller's story, and wonder if the odometer didn't roll over...

Any car that age, I don't give a rat's ass what the mileage is. You just need to take a good hard look at the condition its in.

Low mileage and bad storage can be just as hard on a car as high hiway miles.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 23, 2019, 10:15:33 AM
Any car that age, I don't give a rat's ass what the mileage is. You just need to take a good hard look at the condition its in.

Pretty much. The odometer on my El Camino is really just for tracking oil changes.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 23, 2019, 10:15:33 AM

YES.

Thousands of Army trucks get turned on every Monday and driven twice a year. The seals and whatnot dry out and rot and so a truck with 10k miles on it is worse off than a 100k+ miles truck.
Will

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on June 23, 2019, 09:51:28 AM

My '86 Cabrio is plated "Historic". $18/yr registration and $120/yr insurance. Limited to 3000 km/yr, but that's not an issue because the odo don't work.  :lol:

MrH

If anyone is looking for short range EV vehicles for cheap, you can get 2014 BMW i3s for like $12k-$13k now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 24, 2019, 07:47:10 AM
If anyone is looking for short range EV vehicles for cheap, you can get 2014 BMW i3s for like $12k-$13k now.

81 mile range on those, right?

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 24, 2019, 07:48:33 AM

That would get me to/from the shop like 35-40 times! :lol:

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 24, 2019, 07:48:33 AM

Claimed.  I'm guessing it's degraded a bit by now.

Interesting vehicles.  Really cool carbon fiber chassis and construction.  The batteries are trash though.  I'm wondering if you can replace them with the new batteries and how expensive that is?  If it's just a few thousand, that's a really good deal.

The range extender is interesting too. It's software limited to only be able to use 1.9 gallons of the 2.5 gallons available.  Not sure if it's to preserve the fuel pump or what.  The Euro vehicles have this option where you can select "maintain charge" and the range extender will run to keep the battery topped off while you're on the highway.  This can be enabled through a software edit I guess.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on June 24, 2019, 04:12:23 AM
My '86 Cabrio is plated "Historic". $18/yr registration and $120/yr insurance. Limited to 3000 km/yr, but that's not an issue because the odo don't work.  :lol:

Cars can be registered as 'antiques' here, which is as far as I know a continuous thing for a one-time fee. I don't know what that fee is, but I know you're only allowed to driving to and from club events, parades and other exhibitions; you're not even supposed to be driving for 'pleasure'. I've only ever seen antique plates on brass-era cars, Model Ts and the like.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on June 24, 2019, 08:52:01 AM
Cars can be registered as 'antiques' here, which is as far as I know a continuous thing for a one-time fee. I don't know what that fee is, but I know you're only allowed to driving to and from club events, parades and other exhibitions; you're not even supposed to be driving for 'pleasure'. I've only ever seen antique plates on brass-era cars, Model Ts and the like.

Well that's fucking dumb. What's the point of owning old cars if you can't drive them for pleasure?

giant_mtb

Once all cars become automated next spring, that will be the fate for the rest of us. :lol:

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on June 24, 2019, 08:55:53 AM
Well that's fucking dumb. What's the point of owning old cars if you can't drive them for pleasure?

You can, you just can't register it as an antique.

MrH

Quote from: 93JC on June 24, 2019, 08:52:01 AM

We have similar stuff here. I think it's considered a show car or collectors car and is supposed to only go to events? It's stupid. You can just saw you're coming back from your friends place. Car guy meet up over there.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Payman

Seems crazy you have to register and insure your classic car as you would your daily driver, if you wanted to actually drive it. It would suck to have a stable of several classic cars and only be able to drive them to a fucking parade or show, or conversely have to shell out thousands every year for registration and insurance. I like our system, which allows up to 3000 kms per year per vehicle. My insurance is through Hagerty's, and is based on appraisal.

Payman

Granted, I doubt many classic owners follow the rules, or that it's enforced to any degree.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on June 24, 2019, 12:37:42 PM
Seems crazy you have to register and insure your classic car as you would your daily driver, if you wanted to actually drive it. It would suck to have a stable of several classic cars and only be able to drive them to a fucking parade or show, or conversely have to shell out thousands every year for registration and insurance. I like our system, which allows up to 3000 kms per year per vehicle. My insurance is through Hagerty's, and is based on appraisal.

Quote from: Rockraven on June 24, 2019, 12:55:12 PM
Granted, I doubt many classic owners follow the rules, or that it's enforced to any degree.

Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't say anything about insurance. You could register a car as a regular car, but have it insured as a "classic/antique/whatever".