2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

Xer0

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 18, 2019, 01:12:24 PM
Really is. Especially that gen's ES300 (particular the facelifted ones). Still look great today IMO

That link HurricaneSteve posted was very classy.  Contrast that to the current ES which looks pretty much just aggressive and not really handsome.

veeman

That gen ES was great looking.  I especially liked the frameless doors on those early generation ES300s.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on April 18, 2019, 01:08:19 PM
That's still such a clean and handsome design.
A very slick bar of soap, c'mon. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

HurricaneSteve

Interestingly enough, I'm going to check it out tomorrow for my uncle who recently lost his car in a hit & run. I had my eye on a few RX300's since he likes SUV's more but sellers are either not responding or refuse to budge on the price and his budget is very strict. The ES300 owner replied right away and as some of you have probably noticed, it's in tremendous shape (at least in photos).

Quote from: Xer0 on April 19, 2019, 02:55:02 PM
That link HurricaneSteve posted was very classy.  Contrast that to the current ES which looks pretty much just aggressive and not really handsome.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 19, 2019, 06:50:25 PM
A very slick bar of soap, c'mon. :huh:

I'm with FoMoJo on this one.  :lol:

2o6

Nearly done.

closest gas station to my current location]

The EGR vacuum solenoid died so it's running a little off. Otherwise it's solid.

Eye of the Tiger

It can be yours for only $3995! :muffin:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

Wow, that went for way less than I expected.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on June 06, 2019, 07:24:46 AM
Wow, that went for way less than I expected.

It's a 20 year old Toyota.

2o6

FoMoJo

2o6

Anyways, just purchased this.

It's a 2009 Mazda 6 i. 2.5L, Six-speed.

Motor went out!

$1100.

Eye of the Tiger

Here's an easy flip. $900 Element needs an axle. $200 later, sell it for $3500. https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/columbia-2005-honda-element/6917576445.html

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 27, 2019, 05:11:57 PM
Here's an easy flip. $900 Element needs an axle. $200 later, sell it for $3500. https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/d/columbia-2005-honda-element/6917576445.html

God no fuck anything body damage related

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on June 27, 2019, 05:13:14 PM

But dude, you can hear it and press the gas!

FoMoJo

Funny they didn't mention the body damage.

Your Mazda should sell pretty quick.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on June 27, 2019, 05:13:14 PM

Oh shit, they covered it with a tarp. Fooled me!

2o6

And it's a rebuilt title! No thx

2o6

It doesn't sound great.

It runs worse when cold, and it misses on cyl 4. You can unplug coil 4 and nothing changes. There's an insane amount of blow back out of the oil cap. Rings are likely destroyed from shit oil

https://youtu.be/5Lf3MPcLBF4

HurricaneSteve

Now you and the mad scientist need to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings they fried!

Quote from: 2o6 on June 28, 2019, 12:44:39 PM
It doesn't sound great.

It runs worse when cold, and it misses on cyl 4. You can unplug coil 4 and nothing changes. There's an insane amount of blow back out of the oil cap. Rings are likely destroyed from shit oil

https://youtu.be/5Lf3MPcLBF4

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 28, 2019, 12:52:12 PM
Now you and the mad scientist need to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings they fried!

Ring jobs aren't cheap.

I'm just gonna replace the motor

HurricaneSteve

That shouldn't be too bad, the Fusion 2.5L should fit with some minor mods so the cost of the motor should be cheap.

Quote from: 2o6 on June 28, 2019, 12:55:28 PM

Ring jobs aren't cheap.

I'm just gonna replace the motor

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 28, 2019, 02:26:04 PM
That shouldn't be too bad, the Fusion 2.5L should fit with some minor mods so the cost of the motor should be cheap.

That's also a waste of time; mounting points other issues aren't quite the same between those cars. I'm just gonna put in another 2.5L from another Mazda 6.

12,000 RPM

I love and hate how direct and uncreative you have to be about these flips

But profit is the goal
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

HurricaneSteve

This is why I'm starting to become even more wary of CL cars. I'm glad this is a solid source of income for you but I'm glad I'm not a prospective buyer.

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on July 02, 2019, 12:28:03 PM
This is why I'm starting to become even more wary of CL cars. I'm glad this is a solid source of income for you but I'm glad I'm not a prospective buyer.

....why? I'm doing literally anything any used car lot would do, and arguably better. Do you want me to spend 3x the cash on rebuilding a worn out motor, new rings, rod bearings, et al? And spend money on the labor to not only take the engine out, take the motor apart, send assorted parts out to a shop, and put it back together?

Or, would you rather drop in a low-mile equivalent motor from a running insurance wrecked car, one that's got a warranty, and have the car back on the road in a day, versus several weeks on the above.

Every fucking used car ever likely has had issues or replacement parts. I've found that learning about cars and how they work has allayed any fears. A replacement engine or transmission would not deter me; hell, it's not impossible to get a CPO used car with a replacement engine. (I've definitely seen new cars grenade themselves due to manufacturing defects, to get replacement parts and then sold new like nothing has happened)

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 02, 2019, 07:14:34 AM
I love and hate how direct and uncreative you have to be about these flips

But profit is the goal

Eh, the being creative is the best way to lose money.

2o6

Also...it's a ten year old Mazda with nearly 100k miles. I feel like you're kind of a dick if you're complaining about a potential replacement engine or transmission with a car that has that kind of mileage and age. I'm not selling $10000 cars. I'm selling >$5000 cars.

2o6

I will say, I don't touch salvage title vehicles (except that Jetta guy where I didn't read the title).

A motor blowing up isn't really a safety concern. Possible structural damage and bending/repairing frame and sheetmetal damage is more complicated and more at risk for both me and the buyer. It's very easy for a salvage repair to look ok, only to learn the hard way that it could get someone killed.