Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2019, 11:27:15 AM
Yes, but the scrubbers have a soft side and a rubber side. The soft side is really...well...soft. I don't think it damages the paint. But what do I know? :lol:

What the hell is he gonna rinse it off with?  Gasoline?  The "soft" side is for cleaning, the rubber side is a squeegee, no?  It's still just a wrong and terrible thing to do to a nice car.

Eye of the Tiger

I wash with a tile grout sponge and laundry soap, and remove bug guts with my finger nails. I am a pro-detailor.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2019, 11:02:24 AM
Is that fucking retard scrubbing his Ferrari's BLACK PAINT with the fucking windshield scrubber??  Jesus Christ, money doesn't buy intelligence.  I can feel the scratches from here.

You see the pants and the shoes, right?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 16, 2019, 04:34:21 PM
You see the pants and the shoes, right?

What you can't see is the big gold chain.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2019, 11:02:24 AM
Is that fucking retard scrubbing his Ferrari's BLACK PAINT with the fucking windshield scrubber??  Jesus Christ, money doesn't buy intelligence.  I can feel the scratches from here.

Sure looks like it. Lolllll
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 16, 2019, 04:37:41 PM
What you can't see is the big gold chain.

Exposed chest hair, pinky ring...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Laconian

The only mass-market car manufacturer that gives a shit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

I saw a really nice first-gen Ranger yesterday at the gas station.  Looked like it had a slight lift, bigger tires, deep forest green paint.  Looked awesome.

2o6

Unpopular opinion:

Mazda isn't right, and they took touch functionality because their infotainment system high key sucks. I've driven a Mazda 3; and the touch lockout is annoying; the rotary dial isn't the most responsive.

I think the removal of the touchscreen is a function-follows-form; the interior designers loved the far-away look of the smaller screen; and bringing it forward would have made the interior look bad.

There are some not great touch interfaces out there, but I think the "we took this feature away because it's distracting" is straight horseshit.

MrH

Your opinion is straight horseshit! LONG LIVE MAZDA
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on June 17, 2019, 08:17:36 PM
Your opinion is straight horseshit! LONG LIVE MAZDA

I think they're overhyped as fuck. They're trying to push upscale to chase profits (like literally every automaker these days now, seems like) but I don't think they have the panache to do it.

I think Skyactiv-X is going to be disappointing; they keep dialing back our expectations on it. I think the Skyactiv-G engines they have now are average.

I would definitely give them a look for my next car, but as a whole they don't really wow me.

HurricaneSteve

Just out of curiosity, which auto manufacturer does wow you?

For myself, I'm struggling to think of a brand that does wow me other than Mazda:

Honda/Acura: Terrible styling throughout and questionable long term quality (turbo's & CVT's) but pretty good from a pure performance standpoint (Accord & Civic). If I was forced to buy a Honda, it would probably be a base Civic. Nothing in the Acura lineup interests me and like Infiniti, the brand has lost its way.

Toyota/Lexus: Toyota has improved from say five years ago but for me none of their cars/SUV's are interesting sans the 86 and possibly the 2020 Yaris hatch if parking continues to be an issue. I'm not in the market for a hybrid but if I was, I would definitely give the Prius a look and similarly if I needed a truck, I would explore the Tacoma. I used to be a fan of Lexus but their styling has become too bizarre and their lineup is underwhelming.

Nissan/Infiniti: So disappointing on all levels. Too many CVT's and their styling has seemingly no direction. Ever since Infiniti dropped the G37/Q40 they too have no vehicles that interest me.

VW/Audi: I like the GTI but even with a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty I don't think I could pull the trigger. Never was a fan of the Jetta and their SUV's all seem pretty blah to me. They're likely axing the Golf soon and I'm not a fan of tiny turbos so there isn't anything in their lineup that interests me either. I don't know enough about Audi to comment but I've heard too many horror stories about long term Audi ownership to consider one.

Subaru: Too many CVT's. Supposedly their head gasket and oil consumption issues have been resolved but their choice of transmission makes me wary of long term quality. They seem to be the new Toyota as far as styling and functionality. I'm interested in the WRX redesign but the rest of their vehicles don't jump out.

Ford: Axed all cars and their SUV's are okay at best. I like the Mustang but it's too big. Would be more interested if the new Fiesta and Focus were here.

GM: Chevrolet will be getting rid of their cars too and I don't like any of their SUV's. Similar to the Mustang, I like the Camaro as well but again it's too big of a car.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep: Questionable quality but fantastic styling. I couldn't see myself driving say a Challenger for more than a couple of years and that's assuming I can find parking.

I probably forgot a few but those are the ones I can think of off hand. The only car in Mazda's lineup that might be considered a dud is the CX-3 but it was supposed to fill the space the old Mazda 2 left behind and will be replaced with the CX-30 soon. Otherwise the 3, 6, CX-5, CX-9 and MX-5 are all considered near or at the top of each of their respective classes. Driving dynamics aside, their vehicles all pass the reliability test as well according to Consumer Reports and are one of the most reliable brands as a whole.

Quote from: 2o6 on June 17, 2019, 08:18:51 PM

I think they're overhyped as fuck. They're trying to push upscale to chase profits (like literally every automaker these days now, seems like) but I don't think they have the panache to do it.

I think Skyactiv-X is going to be disappointing; they keep dialing back our expectations on it. I think the Skyactiv-G engines they have now are average.

I would definitely give them a look for my next car, but as a whole they don't really wow me.

Eye of the Tiger

There isn't much wow out there.

2o6

They all have deficiencies on the technical side. I don't find any car offensively ugly these days, and even "ugly" makes I probably would still give a gander

From what I see, they all have good and bad parts

- Mazda cars look good inside and out, and drive good as well, but at least judging from the last generation of cars, some of the cheaper bits def show thru. The switchgear never feels all that solid, and even shit like door closings and heft of controls feel light and cheap for the price point they're asking. They're good for mainstream, but it's not premium. I also don't really like the skyactiv-g engines - they get the job done but I don't think any of them have any personality.

- Honda cars do look kind of weird, but quality is good. Some engineering choices seem a little unproven (1.5T oil consumption issues) but the end product I think is sharper and more interesting than the Mazda on the road. They also excel in interior packaging - all of their cars are spacious and easy to use. They're also cheaper. For the type of cars I'd buy (Compact/Subcompact) the Civic is a really good package. I would have to spend 6K more $$$ to get a comparable Mazda 3, and I don't think it would be worth it.

- GM has a lot of hits, but they always fuck it up in the 2nd act. The Sonic and Cruze I were good cars, if a bit finicky. Cruze II did fix a lot of reliability concerns as well as boost MPG, albeit at the expense of personality.....but they they said "fuck it" and threw it all away. I think they're backsliding as a whole on their new product line. Buick went from definitely having it's niche circa 2011-2013....to, I don't know what the fuck they're doing. Same with Cadillac.

- Toyota is on the ball. I think the "the cars look too ugly!" shit is mostly an online phenomenon. I think their cars look striking inside and out, and the quality is exceptional. The new Corolla I think has the nicest-feeling interior of all the small cars, and the lineup as a whole is more dynamic than it used to be. Although Toyota as a whole seems to be more cautious and conservative on powertrain development, the older powertrains they use work very well. Auto journalists loved to complain about the 2ZR and 4AT...but it works well. It's not the fastest car out there, but real world reliability and fuel economy are good. I still think Toyota's Hybrid Synergy drive is the best in the business.

Not a fan of the interior packaging of the new Corolla, though. Rear seat and trunk are kind of small.

- Nissan makes ugly cars with uninspiring driving dynamics. However, after driving the new Kicks and seeing the latest Versa and the Chinese Sylphy (sentra), I think they're on their way back. I actually like CVT transmissions - anyone who drives like a normal person probably won't even notice it's a CVT. They're off my list tho - I don't like automatic transmissions as a whole for my daily driver.

- Subaru, I honestly think wouldn't be as popular if the AWD as a standard feature wasn't part of their gimmick. The Impreza I rented was well made and rode well, but it was incredibly slow, dull handling, and got mediocre MPG. Can't imagine the rest of their lineup being much different.

- Ford likes making cars that read well on paper, but in practice always have some weird flaw that you can't live with. The car is always missing some feature I'd want, or underdelivers in the real world. Or it's compromised in some way that makes you frustrated. (Like the old Focus's shitty automatic or bad packaging)

- FCA is using old equipment and it shows. Great infotainment, though. Those GEMA engines are ass. The chassis on the smaller cars are revised versions of Fiat shit from the 2000's.

- VW, too austere inside and out. The only car they sell I would be remotely interested in is the Jetta and Golf, but they're so dull to look at and be inside.

Eye of the Tiger

Kia Stinger wows me.

HurricaneSteve

My issue with CVT transmissions is that their failure rates seem to be higher than any modern transmission should be. I have no problem with the way they drive but my own research seems to point to when, not if, they fail. If there wasn't a rush to squeeze every last MPG out of the motor, my guess is that they wouldn't be as common as they are now.

I've gone to local car shows over the last couple of years and honestly I didn't notice a difference between the Japanese makes as far as switchgear and door sound goes. VW cars do have a noticeably better "thunk" when the doors close though. The 2018 CX-5 I test drove rode as well as any SUV I've ever driven and was quiet. My wife also found the interior quality in the 3, 6 and CX-5 quite impressive as well, not seeing much of a difference between those and entry level cars from luxury makes. As far as the Skyactiv motors go, are you comparing them to similar NA motors or turbos? While the tuning is obviously different from the 2.0L in the Mazda3, the motor in my ND Miata is quite good IMHO and the 2019 is even better.

Toyota vehicles do look a bit better in person but the proportions and detailing are off, and the front ends are usually off putting. A friend of mine has a new Camry Hybrid and while the interior quality is improved from the previous gen, to me it didn't seem exceptional. Pretty good, yes but not exceptional. Honda does well with interior packaging, I'll give them that, and I like the way the new Si drives but their transmissions are lacking. The manuals don't feel as crisp as they did before and I don't trust CVT's long term. If I had to get a Honda, a local dealership does offer a free lifetime powertrain warranty which would make me feel better about getting one but that's only if no other choices were out there.

12,000 RPM

Of all the mainstreamers, Honda would probably get my money. I think part of why Accord sales are falling is because the Civic is just that damn good. I see a lot of people that look like Accord people (older and with money) in Civics. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop with this damn oil dilution thing before making a final verdict. Sure the styling isn't the best but I'm inoculated to it now. Hondas remain fun to drive and easy to own- two things you can't say about most of the competition. Hopefully they right their styling wrongs on the Civic with the 11th gen. They are due for a new generation in 2021. The Insight is a good starting point....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

I also distrust CVTs.  Reliability does seem poor compared to traditional gearboxes, anecdotally.  Particularly Nissan's (even in the small cars).  I've been coming up empty on my somewhat half-assed efforts to find a Jetta replacement.  Practically everything is auto, and most of what's in my budget are CVT Nissans (nope), diesel Golf/Jettas (not buying another VW again, certainly not a diesel), or Powershift equipped Focuses and Fiestas (the only gearbox I trust less than a CVT).  Or have a shit ton of miles, suffering from significant corrosion damage, etc...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Mazda isn't overhyped. They're not hyped enough. They have the best lineup of all the marques and they should be selling more than they do.

12,000 RPM

Best by what measures?

Aside from looks, the Civic/Accord are better than the 3/6. Faster with the same fuel economy. More 3 pedal options. Performance options. Cheaper similarly equipped. Roomier. Just as if not more fun to drive.

Mazda's mainstreamers win on looks and marketing. But they're not the best overall packages.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Bought a bicycle for city errands and fitness. 7-speed transmission. The engine is located in my chest and has a pump capacity of...  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 16, 2019, 04:29:26 PM

What the hell is he gonna rinse it off with?  Gasoline?  The "soft" side is for cleaning, the rubber side is a squeegee, no?  It's still just a wrong and terrible thing to do to a nice car.

If there's something I've learned about the ultra rich people in this city...

"It's just money!"  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on June 18, 2019, 05:17:49 AM
I also distrust CVTs.  Reliability does seem poor compared to traditional gearboxes, anecdotally.  Particularly Nissan's (even in the small cars).  I've been coming up empty on my somewhat half-assed efforts to find a Jetta replacement.  Practically everything is auto, and most of what's in my budget are CVT Nissans (nope), diesel Golf/Jettas (not buying another VW again, certainly not a diesel), or Powershift equipped Focuses and Fiestas (the only gearbox I trust less than a CVT).  Or have a shit ton of miles, suffering from significant corrosion damage, etc...

Fiesta Eekoboost :muffin:

HurricaneSteve

I can't speak for the new 3 but the current 6 is rated higher in reliability than the Accord, as is the CX-5 over the CR-V. The 6 is also going to be getting AWD and a diesel option in the near future as well (the 3 too has AWD). While the Accord does hold several measurable advantages such as interior space and fuel economy, I question whether the new Hondas will hold up over time like the old ones did. While Mazda's lineup may not be the best for everyone (particularly those who prioritize fuel economy and interior space), I still contend that their combination of quality, livability, drive and consistency with design are tops among mainstreamers.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 18, 2019, 06:21:30 AM
Best by what measures?

Aside from looks, the Civic/Accord are better than the 3/6. Faster with the same fuel economy. More 3 pedal options. Performance options. Cheaper similarly equipped. Roomier. Just as if not more fun to drive.

Mazda's mainstreamers win on looks and marketing. But they're not the best overall packages.

HurricaneSteve

Have you thought about a 2008-2011 Ford Focus? They have a traditional automatic and are mechanically solid overall. Cheaper than a Civic or Corolla of the same vintage. Also I don't know if it holds true over there but a Pontiac Vibe would also be quite good, especially if the market doesn't know it's a Matrix twin.

Quote from: MX793 on June 18, 2019, 05:17:49 AM

2o6

Toyota also has port and direct injection on the Corolla 2.0L which should allay a lot of carbon buildup on modern GDI engines.

Also, Mazda has only recently gotten their act together. Any Mazda in the northeast until like 2011 would have disintegrated, and the early 2.3MZR is a dumpy motor.

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 18, 2019, 10:00:03 AM
Have you thought about a 2008-2011 Ford Focus? They have a traditional automatic and are mechanically solid overall. Cheaper than a Civic or Corolla of the same vintage. Also I don't know if it holds true over there but a Pontiac Vibe would also be quite good, especially if the market doesn't know it's a Matrix twin.

In Upstate NY? Focuses have awful corrosion protection.