Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2019, 05:15:48 PM
I think a mesh network would make a lot of sense. General purpose cellular data is easily overtaxed in areas facing high congestion. A mesh network, built for relaying automotive data, isn't going to be overloaded by adjacent bus riders streaming Netflix on their phones.

Car to X communication is already on the market in several vehicles. They do use a mesh network for non critical things. However anything that leads to something like vehicles putting on the brakes needs to be checked for plausibility. The danger is to high that someone will use this for sabotage. So all Mercedes vehicles report to Mercedes servers which makes split second decisions on whether or not the scenario is plausible, and then that gets forwarded to all other cars in the vicinity. 

veeman

Quote from: Galaxy on June 07, 2019, 05:06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJ7lPdazyw

Yikes!

Basically a fender bender on a Model 3 takes 3 Month, and $10,000 to fix.

When they start talking about Tesla in general skip to 10:34 to get back to the repairs.

My former Buick Enclave with a similar seemingly minor rear fender bender cost around 8 thousand to repair (low speed backed up into a pole).  Rear liftgate and glass, rear quarter panel, tail lights replaced. The only difference in what they had to do between that repair and the Model 3 repair is they didn't have to replace the roof or front windshield in my car (the roof being made of glass in the Model 3).  I don't remember exactly but I think it took about 5 weeks to get it fixed.  I had to pay for the rental car for one week because insurance only covered one month.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Zero Hedge, faaaake newssss
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Every other "article" is a fear-mongering ad for someone's BS book. Good stuff

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2019, 08:32:09 AM
Brah we eviscerated that study when it came out in April

Oops, I missed it. I like the pic of the charging station next to a generator though.
Will

2o6

This is why I can't stand Tesla owners. This is such shitty math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui9Q-sqXhgg

TL, DR

Just some of the fuckery that I can see from being a full-time rideshare driver

1. He's calculating it based upon time driven in a ride with a passenger, not online time, which is disingenuous. I drive around 35-40 hours a week, and that's time spent ONLINE. You ride time doesn't include the time spent getting to pick up the rider. Nor does it include the time and miles spent online driving not in a ride. If we're really playing that game, judging from my longer rides I'm "averaging" around $70 an hour.

2. He completely ignores cost of entry and depreciation

3. He completely ignores running costs outside of fuel/electric. Although his fuel costs are obviously much lower than mine, properly insuring the Model 3 with full coverage adequate ride-share insurance is going to not be cheap. Not to mention wear items like tires, etc.

I hate this guy

GoCougs

AutobahnSHO

Don't most rideshare drivers forget #2 & #3?
Will

12,000 RPM

We live in a clout and clickbait era. He got my click so he did his job. I'm sure his stupid video is well on its way to "going viral" :facepalm:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 02, 2019, 07:06:37 AM
We live in a clout and clickbait era. He got my click so he did his job. I'm sure his stupid video is well on its way to "going viral" :facepalm:

I wish more people realized this. See some stupid shit on the internet? Ignore it! Sharing it just gives them what they want.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 02, 2019, 04:19:09 AM

Yeah probably.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 02, 2019, 04:19:09 AM
If your all-consuming hobby is Teslas then you don't see forest for the trees when trying to justify your hobby with fake monetization logic.

I have a friend in the UK who is firmly on the spectrum. His compulsive obsession is squeezing the most miles per gallon out of whichever car he owns. He's always been like this, & will l talk eight hours per day about it.
He runs a one-man airport ride service in London. This allows him to buy diesel cars and feed his obsession: choosing the best routes, getting the cheapest fuel, logging MPG etc. He loves it. He now on Skodas.
He hardly makes enough to pay the bills - but he loves what he does.

Having said this... I KNOW that if I bought a Tesla, I'd fall in love too. It would consume me. But hopefully not to the extent that I'd kid myself that it was a money-making proposition.

I'd probably just tell myself that not owning one would be a climate crime against humanity.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

My inner enviro-weenie (I started my career and still make money from green buildings) wants to get an EV and pay whatever to charge it with renewables.

My left brain looks at the numbers and scowls. Even the cost savings just on fuel alone are marginal.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2019, 11:19:16 AM
My inner enviro-weenie (I started my career and still make money from green buildings) wants to get an EV and pay whatever to charge it with renewables.

My left brain looks at the numbers and scowls. Even the cost savings just on fuel alone are marginal.

+1. It's basically why I keep toying with the idea of getting a Clarity, even though I doubt I'll go through with it.

MrH

I've toyed with the idea of a Bolt. So dorky looking though.

I make too many weekend road trips of 200+ miles that I'd need a second car probably just for that.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 11:49:17 AM
I've toyed with the idea of a Bolt. So dorky looking though.

I make too many weekend road trips of 200+ miles that I'd need a second car probably just for that.

I was looking at prices on those just last night - there are some pretty heavy incentives right now that make up for the fact that they're not eligible for the full federal tax credit anymore.

The biggest thing preventing me from getting a Clarity is that I need ground clearance for mountainy things, so the Clarity would have to replace the S2000, not the Explorer. And I definitely cannot justify three cars. :lol:

MrH

Just get 3 cars.  I'm toying with the idea :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 12:19:49 PM
Just get 3 cars.  I'm toying with the idea :lol:

:lol:

It wouldn't be impossible, but it would mean diverting too much away from long term investments.

But wait, what would be your third? If I didn't need something with ground clearance, 2 would be plenty.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 03, 2019, 12:25:08 PM

It wouldn't be impossible, but it would mean diverting too much away from long term investments.

But wait, what would be your third? If I didn't need something with ground clearance, 2 would be plenty.

Considered toying with a 2nd gen 4Runner or a manual transmission Element as a fun, beater winter vehicle.

But it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Instead, I'm seriously considering doing an Exocet build...buy a donor miata first, strip that entirely down, get everything powder coated, then get the Exocet frame in and do the swap.  Maybe sell the S2000 once it's done.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 03, 2019, 12:25:08 PM

How many investments would you have to sacrifice for a $400 Ford Ranger?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 02:03:19 PM
Considered toying with a 2nd gen 4Runner or a manual transmission Element as a fun, beater winter vehicle.

But it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Instead, I'm seriously considering doing an Exocet build...buy a donor miata first, strip that entirely down, get everything powder coated, then get the Exocet frame in and do the swap.  Maybe sell the S2000 once it's done.

TBH, you really don't seem like the SUV kinda guy. The short tenure of your previous 4Runner supports that theory. :lol: So, if you were to get a winter beater, I think you should get an old WRX or EVO and turn it into a rallycross car.

Project car could be fun, though I personally don't have the patience (or space) for one.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 03, 2019, 02:54:03 PM
How many investments would you have to sacrifice for a $400 Ford Ranger?

About $400 worth. :huh: :lol:

r0tor

Fairly impressive what an electric car can do when backed up with a well established charger network and useful nav interface

https://youtu.be/uC95WACQhCY
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on July 03, 2019, 05:33:10 PM
Fairly impressive what an electric car can do when backed up with a well established charger network and useful nav interface

Fucking clickbait thumbnails! SCOWL FACE! "MISERABLE" in the title! But it's actually positive!

The realtime charging stats feature looks geeky and quite polished.

12,000 RPM

40 minutes every 200 miles... fuck that

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2019, 08:09:41 PM
40 minutes every 200 miles... fuck that

It's no different than road tripping with heavy smokers.

12,000 RPM

On my last drive from NYC to NC, I stopped for about 10 minutes to pee and chug a 5 hour energy drink #DatB12WakeUp

I think I did the whole 600 mile drive in 8 hours? Would take 10 hours in a BEV. I'd lose it

BimmerM3

Yeah, I'm with Sporty on this one. It's the main reason I'd rather get a PHEV than a pure EV right now.

Laconian

I'd be OK with a 100% pure EV in a two-car stable. Not a sacrifice at all. My brother's family has a RAV-4 to complement the Bolt, but all the miles except for the maybe-yearly trip to OR or UT end up on the Bolt. Kids get screamy and need to pee every 3 hours, so it works fine for them.