Bimmer's (potential) Garage Shake-up Mega-Thread

Started by BimmerM3, November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM

BimmerM3

IN B4 "ZOMG how could you even consider selling S2k?!?!?!?" Yes, I know that S2000s are special and hold their value well and if I sell it, I'll probably never be able to justify the price of getting another one in the future. If I choose to sell it, all those things will be considered in my decision, and discussing all that jazz is not the purpose of this thread.

I'm getting tired of DDing something as big and cumbersome as the Explorer and the lack of fuel economy to go with it, and as much as I love the S2000, there's a whole lot of money tied up in it for something that doesn't get a ton of use.  On top of all that, while I'm currently doing fine financially, I'm not super happy with my career path, so spending some money now as a way to help set myself up for lower future expenses has some appeal in case I decide to change careers (though obviously I have to balance that with savings levels).

FYI - at this point in time, this is all still very preliminary and mostly just-for-fun/a way to organize my thoughts. The only timeline constraint I have right now is that the federal incentive for Chevy is almost definitely going to begin phasing out after Q1 2019, so if I want a Volt, that factors in.

Goals/requirements

• Must Haves (if getting rid of Explorer)

• Better to drive in the mountains than the Explorer
    • Can handle at least moderate winter weather in the mountains (i.e. PHEV with snow tires is probably OK - S2000 is not)
    • Improved fuel economy
    • Ability to handle at least moderately rough roads/trails
    • No serious reliability concerns
    • New or significantly newer (< 50k miles or so MAX)
  • Nice to Haves - no specific priority, but I recognize that I won't be able to accomplish all of these

• AWD
    • Improved infotainment, though I think I'd be happy with just about any new car's capabilities
    • Adaptive cruise control
    • PHEV - Almost all of my local trips are 30 miles or less
    • MT - Basically only available on one option, but oh well
Options:

• Do nothing - This is the only option that involves keeping the S2000. Prices for SUV/CUVs that I'd prefer more than the Explorer are high enough that it's not worth doing an even swap, and I'm not currently in a good enough financial position to put enough extra towards a vehicle to upgrade without selling the S2k. Involves no work, so appeals to my procrastinative nature
  • Sell S2000, keep Explorer - Almost definitely the most financially responsible decision. Almost no other upsides, though it's a big upside.
  • Sell both current vehicles, replace with a crossover, eventually add 2nd car - Basic idea here is to spend some time with only one vehicle to see if a crossover would be capable enough for my needs. If it is, the eventual second car would likely be an older Miata. If it's not, the eventual second car would likely be an old Wrangler.

• Crosstrek Premium 6-speed - Probably most capable CUV in my price range that's not a Jeep. Only thing on the list that has a manual option. Not great fuel economy for it's class (though still WAY better than the Explorer). No adaptive cruise control for the trim I would buy. Looking at new because used doesn't save enough money, IMO.
    • Slightly used Forester with 6-speed
    • CX-5 - Based on reviews, best CUV to drive, but a trade-off with both ground clearance and interior practicality (at least compared to the CR-V, maybe not the Crosstrek). Proper AT instead of CVT in the CR-V. A little pricier, so I'd probably have to go used, but they don't hold their value as well as some other vehicles so that's not so bad.
    • CR-V - Supposedly awesome engine. Surprising amount of ground clearance (8.2), so probably more capable than it's given credit for. Also probably have to go used.
    • 2019 Rav-4 - don't know a ton about it, but it's getting redesigned for 2019, so adding it so I don't forget about it.
    • Others to consider? Rav-4 seems mediocre and doesn't seem to have the same crazy resale as proper Toyota trucks. Not huge on FCA or GM. Are any of Koreans or Fords worth looking at?
  • Sell both current vehicles, replace with a PHEV, and go 50/50 on a Wrangler with my dad for off-road use - I could basically stop using gas completely when I'm in Boulder/Denver. On top of whatever federal tax credit (varies based on battery size), CO offers a $5000 credit for new PHEVs, making them very competitively priced with ICE and traditional hybrid competitors.

• Crosstrek PHEV - 17 mile EV range. This is kind of option 3.5 since it wouldn't require the Wrangler, but there are very few details other than that it's supposed to be a 2019 model and use Toyota's Prime PHEV tech. Biggest problem is that Subaru is only selling them in the CA-equivalent emission requirements states, which doesn't not include CO so I'm not sure how the CO tax credit would work if I purchased out-of-state (I'd guess that as long as I register it as a new vehicle in CO, I'd still be eligible, but I haven't checked yet).
    • Honda Clarity - 47 mile range. After checking out some reviews, this seems like the best all around car of the PHEVs. Definitely the most useable back seat, though that's not a super important consideration. 
    • Volt LT w/ comfort package - 53 mile range. PHEV that appeals to me the most based on reviews. Best range, reasonably quick, decent handling, full $7500 federal credit (though they're going to hit 200k this quarter, meaning Q1 2019 is the last quarter for the full incentive). No adaptive cruise control in the trim I'd get. Looks like I could get one or around $22k after incentives.
    • Prius Prime - 25 mile range. Smaller electric-only range, but still enough for most of my local driving, and better hybrid fuel-economy. Probably better resale? A lot slower though. Only two rear seats (though the middle rear in the Volt is nearly unusable). Smaller battery so only eligible for ~$4k of federal credits, but lower price almost exactly makes up for that. Not seeing a ton in local inventories, so maybe hard to find?
    • Others to consider? Ioniq is intriguing just because it'd be the cheapest option by a decent chunk, but apparently it doesn't really have an electric-only mode like most PHEVs.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Maybe you should hold on to it.  :ohyeah:

Honda S2000 Prices Are Climbing, This 1,000 Mile Example Was Bought For $48,000

nless you've been living under a rock, you'll know that performance-focused Honda models from the late 1990s and early 2000s have been steadily rising in value and becoming the latest must-haves for JDM enthusiasts.

Arguably the carmaker's best sports car from this time was the S2000 and recently, one changed hands on Bring A Trailer for a monumental $48,000. The buyer? None other than IndyCar racing driver Graham Rahal.

The S2000 in question is painted in New Formula Red and is a 2000 model year. It was originally delivered to a Honda dealership in Pennsylvania with just 12 miles (19 km) on the odometer before being put into storage.

When the time came in 2013, the car was registered for the road when the dealership was sold. The owner added 988 miles (1590 km) to the car during their ownership before the dealer responsible for this most recent sale got their hands on it.

Now is the time to buy an S2000

Not only does this S2000 have very few miles under its belt but both its exterior and interior remain in excellent condition. Additionally, it was sold to Rahal with the factory 16-inch wheels and the original Bridgestone Potenza S-02 tires.

As this S2000 is a 2000 model, it is an AP1-generation car. Consequently, it's 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine can rev until 9000 rpm and depending on the market, delivers between 237 hp and 247 hp. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual transmission and Torsen limited slip differential.

Speaking with The Drive about his purchase, Rahal said that he has always been a Honda guy and knew he had to buy the car as soon as he saw it.

"I am a lifelong Honda guy, and when this car came out it was just eye-catching and such a pure machine.

"I always knew we wanted one, and I wanted to collect one. This popped up, and it was just too perfect to pass up. My dad has an S600 in red that's being fully restored, and the 2 of these just belong together in the Rahal family collection."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/honda-s2000-prices-climbing-1000-mile-example-bought-48000/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 11, 2018, 07:07:42 PM
Maybe you should hold on to it.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM
IN B4 "ZOMG how could you even consider selling S2k?!?!?!?" Yes, I know that S2000s are special and hold their value well and if I sell it, I'll probably never be able to justify the price of getting another one in the future. If I choose to sell it, all those things will be considered in my decision, and discussing all that jazz is not the purpose of this thread.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

I think selling the S2K is fine. Toys are wholly emotional... the day you wake up and don't get that emotional satisfaction from a toy is the day it has to go.

Of your options I'd say maybe hold on to the Explorer and see what happens with the Crosstrek PHEV as it sounds like that would be your perfect vehicle. Would suck to jump on something else now only to find out that they launched it nationwide in 2020... and I feel like given its market the demand is going to be through the roof.

Is a full EV an option? I feel like the Hyundai Kona could also work, if you can live with electricity only.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 11, 2018, 08:34:35 PM
Is a full EV an option? I feel like the Hyundai Kona could also work, if you can live with electricity only.

Eh, let's say no. I pretty frequently go to my dad's condo in the mountains, which is about 80 miles each way plus whatever driving I do while I'm up there (could be a lot depending on where I'm going hiking/snowboarding), and there's not a convenient place to recharge at the condo itself. I'd have to either run a long extension cord out of the condo into the parking lot or use a public charging station nearby, neither of which is ideal.

Plus I do take occasional road trips, and if you meant the Kona could maybe work as an only car (as opposed to having the Wrangler), I don't know that I would trust a full EV out in the woods at the end of a long dirt road.

So I could probably make it work, but it'd be more complicated than I'd like.

2o6

Kona EV's are FWD. It would be like taking a Chevy Bolt off road.

I vote selling them all and buying a Crosstrek.

AutobahnSHO

Crosstrek seems tiny. Why not outback or Forester?
Will

Xer0

I think the Forester came with a manual as far back as 2014.  Might be a good thing to replace the Explorer with.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 12, 2018, 10:43:25 AM
Kona EV's are FWD. It would be like taking a Chevy Bolt off road.

I vote selling them all and buying a Crosstrek.

That's a good point and another reason why I wouldn't get one, but you'd probably be surprised at some of the FWD sedans I see on some pretty rough roads out here. I can't imagine what their underbody looks like, but in good conditions, ground clearance is much more important for the types of roads I'm looking at.

But yeah, after sleeping on it, the PHEVs are really tempting because of the tax credits (I think all the PHEVs I'm looking at would be less than the Crosstrek I'm looking at), but the Crosstrek makes the most sense for what I need.

I'll probably take Sporty's suggestion and wait to get some more details on the Crosstrek PHEV though, and see if tax credits make it worth it to buy out of state.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2018, 11:25:05 AM
Crosstrek seems tiny. Why not outback or Forester?
Quote from: Xer0 on November 12, 2018, 11:28:32 AM
I think the Forester came with a manual as far back as 2014.  Might be a good thing to replace the Explorer with.

2018, actually. They just removed that option for the new 2019 model. There are a handful of new 2018s still out there, but I don't know if that will still be the case when I'm actually ready to buy.

I was leaning towards new for Subies because they keep their value too damn well around here, and a new Forester with the options I want is a bit more than I want to spent. That said, of their three CUVs (not counting Ascent - too new), the Forester holds its value the least well, so I'll stick it on the list.

Outback is definitely too expensive.

Also, I don't necessarily see small as a bad thing. I'd care more about the more powerful engine in the Forester.

Xer0

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 12, 2018, 11:37:37 AM
2018, actually. They just removed that option for the new 2019 model. There are a handful of new 2018s still out there, but I don't know if that will still be the case when I'm actually ready to buy.

I was leaning towards new for Subies because they keep their value too damn well around here, and a new Forester with the options I want is a bit more than I want to spent. That said, of their three CUVs (not counting Ascent - too new), the Forester holds its value the least well, so I'll stick it on the list.

Outback is definitely too expensive.

Also, I don't necessarily see small as a bad thing. I'd care more about the more powerful engine in the Forester.

It looks like 2012 was the last year for the manual+turbo combo though.  That 2.5 is supposed to be a bit of a dog.

FoMoJo

That's quite a tough decision to make.

Get rid of a semi-exotic piece of automotive magic that will only increase in value over the foreseeable future, or join the plebs and get a RAV4 PHEV. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on November 12, 2018, 12:31:34 PM
It looks like 2012 was the last year for the manual+turbo combo though.  That 2.5 is supposed to be a bit of a dog.

Basically all of the vehicles that I'm looking at are gonna be pretty slow. Despite 292 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, even the Explorer takes 8 seconds to get to 60. XTs, regardless of transmission, are out of my price range unless I go older than I want to. One of the goals of replacing the Explorer is to end up with a significantly newer vehicle that should last me a very long time.

I already have a steep, high-altitude test-drive route near a Subaru dealership that I've planned out before I make any final decision.

CALL_911

Sounds like your heart is set on selling the S2000 which is fine. 4Runner?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2018, 12:54:25 PM
Sounds like your heart is set on selling the S2000 which is fine.

I'm leaning that way, but it's definitely not a final decision. I've just gone over every pro and con of keeping or selling that car many, many times on my own, so I just didn't want an entire thread centered around that rather than providing input on the other options that I'm a bit less knowledgeable about.

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2018, 12:54:25 PM
4Runner?

That was my original long term plan for an Explorer replacement, but currently they're out of my price range new and hold their value too well to be worth it used, plus probably wouldn't provide much of an efficiency or driving quality upgrade over the Explorer.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

BimmerM3

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 12, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
I disturbed the force, and Nick felt it.

My bones were wicked cold this morning. I thought is was just the weather.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2018, 12:40:59 PM

Get rid of a semi-exotic piece of automotive magic that will only increase in value over the foreseeable future, or join the plebs and get a RAV4 PHEV. 

TBH, if they made a RAV4 PHEV (currently only sell a traditional hybrid - Prius Prime is currently the only Toyota plug-in hybrid), it would probably be top of the list right now.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2018, 12:40:59 PM

Put it in a different context.... pay to insure and maintain a car for internet props, or make a practical choice better for your wallet and life. Hmmm.....

Regarding slowness... I imagine altitude makes things even slower... what about a turbo vehicle? I can't speak to their reliability, but the Jetta Hybrids had a turbo lump.... could be the best of all worlds. Also what about the Golf Alltrack? Also seems  perfect for you and I think newer VWs have finally got their shit together reliability wise.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Golf Alltrack is literally the highest rated small or midsize car on Consumer Reports. Two points higher than the Outback.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 12, 2018, 02:38:46 PM
Put it in a different context.... pay to insure and maintain a car for internet props, or make a practical choice better for your wallet and life. Hmmm.....

Regarding slowness... I imagine altitude makes things even slower... what about a turbo vehicle? I can't speak to their reliability, but the Jetta Hybrids had a turbo lump.... could be the best of all worlds. Also what about the Golf Alltrack? Also seems  perfect for you and I think newer VWs have finally got their shit together reliability wise.

There's no appreciable advantage for me to get a lower ground clearance car without the benefit of the EV/PHEV tax credits, so traditional hybrids are out.

The Golf Alltrack is a good thought, but lower ground clearance than all the other CUV options, and I'm not sold on reliability and/or resale value compared to the others. Plus part me of still wants to tell them to fuck off from the dieselgate crap.

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on November 12, 2018, 04:34:41 PM
Outlander PHEV? (EW)

Is there a good reason to look at it? I saw that it exists, but kind of assumed it sucks lol. Only 22 miles of EV only range, high MSRP, and doesn't qualify for full federal credit makes it the most expensive PHEV option (though it could eliminate or at least delay the need for a dedicated 4x4 vehicle).

Eye of the Tiger

Screw all this PHEV junk. Wait for the 2020 Bronco.

68_427

Leftover Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 6 speed manual

Fun car and TRRRRRRRRRUCK all in one.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 12, 2018, 05:29:49 PM
Leftover Nissan Frontier Pro-4X 6 speed manual

Fun car and TRRRRRRRRRUCK all in one.

6-speeds is too much shifting. Upgrade to a 3-speed Ford Toploader. Also upgrade the rest of the truck to a not-Nissan.