Maserati Swears It Will Never Drop Internal Combustion Engines

Started by cawimmer430, May 07, 2019, 08:43:00 AM

cawimmer430

Maserati Swears It Will Never Drop Internal Combustion Engines

Maserati hasn't been doing that well recently, as sales continue to drop despite the fact that, apart from two relatively new sporty saloons, as well as the aging but gorgeous GranTurismo, they are having an SUV, the Levante, in their lineup for the first time.

A product rejuvenation has been planned, however, and will see them launch several electrified products being launched in the next decade. But does that mean that they will kill the internal combustion engine? Not by far, reports MotorTrend, who spoke to the brand's North America chief of operations, Al Gardner.

The exec pledged that contrary to the obvious trend in the auto world to slowly phase out internal combustion engines, they will never do so. In his opinion, no zero-emission powertrain could ever provide driving enthusiasts with that special emotion that they're looking for when buying a Maserati. "This is a brand that needs combustion engines", said Gardner. "It needs that raw emotion."

By the end of 2022, Maserati's lineup is set to be overhauled and new products will be added. The first one will be a sports car that will be presented at next year's Geneva Motor Show, whereas following it will be a smaller SUV, slotting under the Levante. Thus, over the next three years or so, Maserati will have electric, hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles on sale.

Gardner believes that poor interest shown in their cars is not due to product lineup, but rather tied to awareness. In fact, he's convinced that people only need to drive the Levante to make them fall in love with it.

Maserati offers several different versions of the SUV, including the Levante Trofeo, which takes on the Porsche Cayenne Turbo with a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 that's been built by Ferrari. The unit delivers 582 hp (590 PS / 433 kW) and 538 lb-ft (730 Nm) of torque, rocketing it to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 3.9 seconds and up to 186+ mph (300+ km/h).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/maserati-swears-it-will-never-drop-internal-combustion-engines/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

thewizard16

Saying this seems meaningless unless they can predict with 100% accuracy distant/future government requirements... Or maybe just don't intend to still be in business if such a scenario arises that ICE isn't a cost-effective option due to such regulations/requirements.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

cawimmer430

Quote from: thewizard16 on May 07, 2019, 11:29:46 AM
Saying this seems meaningless unless they can predict with 100% accuracy distant/future government requirements... Or maybe just don't intend to still be in business if such a scenario arises that ICE isn't a cost-effective option due to such regulations/requirements.

Even when EVs take over, there will still be cars with ICEs around. But with the way things are going they will be very expensive to own due to government bullshit like a Carbon Dioxide Tax and increased taxes on fossil fuels. In essence, a future Maserati owner is going to demonstrate how rich they are by still being able to drive such a car in a world full of EVs.

But the company is right about one thing. Electric cars and their quietness are never going to give enthusiasts that raw emotional aspect that we derive from engine sound, torque buildup etc.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

thewizard16

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 07, 2019, 11:46:09 AM
Even when EVs take over, there will still be cars with ICEs around. But with the way things are going they will be very expensive to own due to government bullshit like a Carbon Dioxide Tax and increased taxes on fossil fuels. In essence, a future Maserati owner is going to demonstrate how rich they are by still being able to drive such a car in a world full of EVs.

But the company is right about one thing. Electric cars and their quietness are never going to give enthusiasts that raw emotional aspect that we derive from engine sound, torque buildup etc.
:huh: Maybe not for our generations. Future generations are likely to have very different criteria/context for what they consider the cool/emotional aspect of a vehicle just based off what they grow up with.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

giant_mtb

Imagine what it'll be like trying to find a gallon of gas for your ancient, classic MY2019 vehicle a hundred years from now.

Though maybe not too difficult, as industries from logging to mining to landscaping to everything in between will likely still be using gas/diesel in some form...?

12,000 RPM

Let go of your expectations and EV hate. EVs aren't necessarily worse for enthusiasts, just different. Electric go karts are no less fun than gas ones, for example. Plenty of enthusiasts love their EVs.

Plus let's not pretend like all gas engines sound great anyway. Compared to the average choked up turbo 4 banger, often with fake sound piped in through the speakers, silence would be an improvement.

EVs are really showing the kinds of enthusiasts there are. Seems like a lot of enthusiasts have their minds made up about what fun cars are supposed to be instead of what they could be.

Laconian

Bolts drive like GTIs and cost about the same. They're practical cars with enthusiast hot-hatch chops.

I'd like to see what a Mini EV would drive like.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Maserati's biggest market is China, and they are banning new combustion engines starting in 2040. Several other countries have announced bans so....... What an idiotic thing to say.

This is the same company that put the switch gear from a Chrysler 200, and Dodge Dart into a $160,000 Maserati. They have lost all credibility to talk about any "raw emotional aspect." Their colleagues over at Alfa Romeo are doing a better job with products that are less expensive.

12,000 RPM

I still contend that the RAM 1500 has FCA's best interior

Which blows my mind

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 08, 2019, 05:14:52 AM

Which blows my mind

RAM is their money maker
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 08, 2019, 05:14:52 AM

Which blows my mind

I agree. Its also only on-par with the other full size pickups in their respective higher trims.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  on May 08, 2019, 08:48:57 AM
Who?

Honestly, I'd argue that people that buy EVs right now are mostly enthusiasts.  Its a niche market with a product that costs more than a directly comparable good.  Its kinda like the guy that buys the Wrangler Rubicon to take to a mud park instead of picking up a Corvette.  Still enthusiasts, just about a different aspect of car ownership.

12,000 RPM

SJ_GTI

I'd consider Joe Rogan an enthusiast as well, even though its not something he is known for. He is a big manual transmission enthusiast, has owned several Porsche's, and I think owns an old (but restored?) manual Ford Bronco.

But he loves his Tesla Model S as well.

MexicoCityM3

The Tesla Model 3 Performance gives the M3 a run for its money. I may have gotten it had it been available here when I bought the CS.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CaminoRacer

There are a decent amount of real car enthusiasts who buy Teslas, but I think the larger chunk of owners are more tech enthusiasts than car enthusiasts.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 08, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
There are a decent amount of real car enthusiasts who buy Teslas, but I think the larger chunk of owners are more tech enthusiasts than car enthusiasts.

Yup.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 08, 2019, 11:51:21 AM

Agree.

I know a couple. One is going on and on on FB about his. The other looks like Santa Clause and I think his plate is "Santa Bob" or something.
Will