Renault/Nissan - Fiat/Chrysler

Started by Galaxy, May 26, 2019, 04:37:37 PM

Galaxy

That is the news that is making the rounds. Apparently the Renault board is meeting on Monday. However the merger could still fail, the news agencies are reporting.

Personally I think there is to much overlap.

93JC

Can't see Nissan going along with it.

CaminoRacer

They can do whatever they want, I'm still not gonna buy any cars from those 4 brands
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Renault and Nissan barely did anything productive together and maybe outside of Jeep all the brands in this alliance are in trouble

We'll see what happens but I'm with Camino
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Now I'm picturing a VQ powered Alfa Giulia

93JC

They wouldn't even use the Chrysler 3.6 in the Giulia; there's no fucking way they'd put a Nissan engine under the hood.

Laconian

This merger would make it impossible to avoid Chrysler products on the rental lot. Check mate.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Does this mean America will finally get this?  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 26, 2019, 05:30:48 PM
They can do whatever they want, I'm still not gonna buy any cars from those 4 brands

:lol:

+1 though.

r0tor

I don't see any value in this for FCA... Renault would at least get a US sales outlet I guess
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

HurricaneSteve

This is so sad. In the 2000's, the G35 was my realistic dream car but now the entire Nissan/Infiniti lineup has nothing I want to buy. To be fair I could say the same of all premium brands as well but nonetheless Nissan really took a dive over the last 10 years or so.

r0tor

Nissan/Infiniti just needs to die... They have nothing worthwhile anymore
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Nissan does OK in their home market as well as a China.

They're also killing it in Mexico; they sell like 400k units a year in Mexico.

If anything needs to go...it's Fiat. Fiat is a non starter outside of Italy, and although they sell a lot in Brazil, they lose money on cars sold there.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on May 27, 2019, 12:21:06 PM

If anything needs to go...it's Fiat. Fiat is a non starter outside of Italy, and although they sell a lot in Brazil, they lose money on cars sold there.

Except that Fiat Chrysler is controlled by the Agnelli family and the CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (John Elkann) is a member of the family as well, and the Agnellis want to keep the heritage alive. Alfa Romeo as well.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on May 27, 2019, 12:21:06 PM
They're also killing it in Mexico; they sell like 400k units a year in Mexico.
Volume is one thing, profit is another

Nissan, like the domestics with cars, has trained the market to believe that their cars are discounted rental counter crap. Unlike the domestics though, they don't have pickup trucks and pony cars to turn profits from.

Best outcome for Nissan here would be some new product... outside of the Altima, and to a lesser degree the Maxima, their lineup is ancient. I feel like there are a lot of Nissans and Infinitis you still can't get Android Auto on. That has to be job 1

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 27, 2019, 01:38:05 PM
Volume is one thing, profit is another

Nissan, like the domestics with cars, has trained the market to believe that their cars are discounted rental counter crap. Unlike the domestics though, they don't have pickup trucks and pony cars to turn profits from.

Best outcome for Nissan here would be some new product... outside of the Altima, and to a lesser degree the Maxima, their lineup is ancient. I feel like there are a lot of Nissans and Infinitis you still can't get Android Auto on. That has to be job 1

I don't think they have the same profit issues in Mexico or China that they do in the US.

veeman

From the NY times article in today's paper, Nissan does not have a lot of input into this merger. Renault has invested a lot in electric cars whereas Fiat/Chrysler has not and going forward, merging the two would make both groups stronger.  France will probably not let merger take place (they have a controlling interest in Renault) unless the merger will mean no loss of French autoworker jobs (at least initially). 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/business/fiat-chrysler-renault-merger.html

Xer0

What I would like to see out of this is Q50s with Hemi's but what we'll probably end up getting is a Guillia with a CVT.  Does FIAT ever actually plan on being competitive in the market, or just merge with anything that will look at it?

12,000 RPM

FCA has some competitive product and more importantly they know where they can't compete

No point in them trying to do well in Europe, they can just buy/merge with a company that is

No point in trying to succeed at mainstream cars in the US when they've been failing longer than most of us have been alive

This all kind of fits together like puzzle pieces.... Nissan included, with proper investment and product development.